Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » 3D Framlines

Author Topic: 3D Framlines
Martin McCaffery
Film God

- posted 11-13-2018 10:23 AM      Profile for Martin McCaffery   Author's Homepage   Email Martin McCaffery   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We're showing Dial M For Murder in 2D (right eye). I was jus testing it and noticed the bottom frame line is notched. I've only run one other dual 3D before and that was over 30 years ago. Didn't notice it then.
Did all dual 3D prints have notched framelines or is this peculiar to a specific studio?

Also, damn there's a lot of spare headroom in this film.

|  IP: Logged

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 11-15-2018 10:33 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Are you running it 1:33 or 1:85? It was shot with a 1:66 marked finder and intended to be run 1.85....

Mark

Martin McCaffery
Film God

- posted 11-15-2018 11:22 AM      Profile for Martin McCaffery   Author's Homepage   Email Martin McCaffery   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The can is labelled 1:33 by the studio. I was tempted to run it in 1:66 when I saw all of that headroom.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 11-15-2018 04:22 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I read in a Hitchcock book some years back that it's intended for 1.85, but shot 1.66. It is possible the 3-D print gets projected at 1.33 to increase brightness??? I saw it in 3-D back in the 1980's but can not remember what aspect it was presented in. No doubt the camera was either full frame or 1.33. You may want to see what aspect the 2-D Blu-ray is in and go with that. 3-D was about dead by the time this movie came out and Hitchcock knew that...

Mark

Martin McCaffery
Film God

- posted 11-15-2018 11:02 PM      Profile for Martin McCaffery   Author's Homepage   Email Martin McCaffery   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I tested it in 1:33 and it looked awful. So we ran it tonight in 1:85 and it was clearly composed for that AR.

I saw it, too, back in the late 70's early 80's re-release (at the Key Theatre in DC) and don't remember the AR, though I surely would have remembered all of the headroom.

Focus was horrendous. I don't know if that's a 3D artifact or a bad print. Wasn't us, as every now and then a scene was sharp. The print was in fairly good shape.

But bringing it back around to the original question. What's with the notched framlines?

Carl Martin
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 11-16-2018 04:29 AM      Profile for Carl Martin   Author's Homepage   Email Carl Martin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
when i've seen it, it's been 1.85 for sure. but i've never projected it (or any film in 3d) and can't comment on the framelines.

Sascha F. Roll
Expert Film Handler

- posted 11-16-2018 07:31 AM      Profile for Sascha F. Roll   Email Sascha F. Roll   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The 3D DCP I screened several years ago at the Berlin International Film Festival was also 1.85, which looked a bit „squeezed“ in parts, If memory serves correct.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: