Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Cinema Sound System Recommendation

Author Topic: Cinema Sound System Recommendation
Waseem Ashraf
Film Handler

- posted 11-08-2018 08:40 AM      Profile for Waseem Ashraf   Email Waseem Ashraf   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi,
I wanted a suggestion regarding improving my current Sound system.

I have a Hall with 316 seat capacity which consists of the following Components.

JBL Screen Array 3732 (x3)
JBL Sub Woofer 4645C (x2)
JBL Surround 8320 (x12)

Dolby CP650

DBX 234 XL Analog Crossover

6 Power Amps of Dynacord (600 W Per channel)

I am looking for a suggestion for replacing the analog Crossovers and if Replacing Power amps would do a job the kindly suggest.

I was looking to put Drive Rack PA2 and Wharfedale 2600 PAs for Screen Array and Wharfedale 3600 for Sub-Woofer.

|  IP: Logged

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 11-11-2018 09:29 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
To begin with, your main stage channels are probably undersized for your hall. Am going to say you have adaquate Subwoofer and surround... But it would help to know the dimensions of your room, particularly the length... But to be honest, I would install what ever equipment is the most available, and best supported in Pakistan. I have no idea what your local cinema suppliers sell or have in stock there. Warfdale was a great name in audio in the 1950's, 60's and 70's. I am not too sure what their disposition is today. I thought they had vanished long ago. Here in the USA the most serviceable amplifiers are QSC Cinema Line by a long shot. Crown Audio is now all Chinese produced, so there is absolutely nothing special about them any longer. Unfortunately I have no way of knowing who if anyone distributes QSC Cinema in Pakistan. I highly reccomend their speaker line too...

Mark

Waseem Ashraf
Film Handler

- posted 11-11-2018 10:25 AM      Profile for Waseem Ashraf   Email Waseem Ashraf   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you for your reply Mark.

The length of the hall is 72 feet.

The main issue we face here in Pakistan is the availability of the products. Wharfedale is readily available as it is mostly used in live sound venues. for getting JBL or QSC we'll have to import it from Singapore though distributors of JBL and Crown are available here, but in order to get the operations going an extra pair of every component is required just to avoid the import time.

Carsten Kurz
Film God

- posted 11-11-2018 05:04 PM      Profile for Carsten Kurz   Email Carsten Kurz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You are after improving your sound system - what is the specific reason you are asking this? From my (limited) experience with indian and tamil movies, the sound system needs to be able to supply higher average sound levels (and at lower distortion) than elsewhere in cinemas. You will not accomplish this with different amplifiers, you will probably need more capable front speaker systems.

- Carsten

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: