Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Precautions when Loaning a Film

Author Topic: Precautions when Loaning a Film
Adam Towill
Film Handler

- posted 10-30-2018 09:01 AM      Profile for Adam Towill   Email Adam Towill   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey all,

I’m looking at loaning a print to a commercial location. I’m wondering what precautions are generally taken by archives, etc. when doing the same, such as preferred couriers, shipping in one parcel as opposed to split parcels, packing techniques, insurance, condition reporting and handling requirements, etc.

If this goes well, I’ll be open to doing it more frequently, so I want to ensure it has the best chance of going well.

The print needs to go interstate in Australia, and back again afterwards. The print would be going to a trusted venue, with trusted staff and a solid track record.

Your thoughts would be most appreciated.

Thank you.

|  IP: Logged

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 10-30-2018 02:15 PM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In the USA, Federal Express "Express" service (as opposed to "Ground") is generally considered to be the most reliable way to ship anything. The service is expensive, but they tend not to lose or damage things, and the packages tend to get where they need to go on time. That may or may not be the case where you are, but, if not, there might an equivalent service.

I would ship a film in whatever configuration is most common in your region and therefore least likely to cause confusion. In the US, that would be on reels in Goldberg cans (which would likely necessitate a multi-part shipment). In your area, that would probably be on cores in lab cans. Do a pre-screening and post-screening inspection and note any problems to avoid finger-pointing after the fact. This is what the LoC, UCLA, etc. do.

Edit: also, be sure that the print has proper head and tail leaders and cues and such before you ship it. That way, the theatre won't need to add them and you won't need to be concerned about them doing it wrong.

Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 11-01-2018 10:32 PM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The requirements placed on exhibitors by archives range from almost none to carrying out an inspection of the projection booth and making the venue put down a four-figure deposit against print damage.

As a lender, you basically have to make a judgment call: are you willing to take a bit of a risk in order for your movie to reach an audience, or do you require the borrower to insure you totally and utterly against the consequences of damage? My personal feeling is that if the print is one that money cannot replace (e.g. an original release IB print from the 1950s), I would be far more stringent in checking out the exhibitor than if it is one that could be replaced by writing a check (e.g. a 1990s print from a preservation dupe neg sitting on an archive shelf, that could easily - if not cheaply - be printed again).

If there is any special care that you want the exhibitor to take (e.g. not cutting the heads and tails and plattering it, or playing it in an unusual aspect ratio such as 1.66), let them know and ask them to acknowledge that they've understood.

Adam Towill
Film Handler

- posted 11-19-2018 09:30 AM      Profile for Adam Towill   Email Adam Towill   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you all.

It doesn't look like it's going to end up happening, but it's certainly given me some things to consider if the possibility ever arises again.

Accessibility and visibility is a big deal for me. I don't like the idea of allowing beautiful and interesting things to be hidden away from the public eye in archives.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: