Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Harry Potter DTS Discs

Author Topic: Harry Potter DTS Discs
Kieran Hall
Film Handler

- posted 10-25-2018 03:02 PM      Profile for Kieran Hall   Author's Homepage   Email Kieran Hall   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi everyone

We have a 35mm Harry Potter marathon planned for Saturday (which people have been reacting well to on social media -- it's nice to see people excited about film!). We've been pre-screening the prints and although the picture is mostly pretty good, some of the SRD tracks are veeeery questionable (not dropping out, but wavering between 7 and 7.) so we're a bit leery about them falling back to SR. We do have SDDS too, but I'm not sure I trust that if the SRD has gone and HP2 has patches where the SDDS track fades to transparent (it's odd, I've not seen anything quite like it before).

It'd be really good to try to keep these from reverting to analogue if at all possible, so is there any chance that anybody could help us out with any of the DTS discs for these? (HP1 is Philosopher's Stone over here, so I imagine this might have a different timecode from the US print?). Any help would be very much appreciated!

Deluxe have told us that they point-blank don't send DTS discs out any more and haven't kept any with the prints (though if anybody is kind enough to send us the files we will of course slip some burnt discs in and assume they won't notice them [Wink] ), which is a real shame as we'd have loved to be able to archive them before they went walkabouts. We're on a university campus and so we have an unlimited multi-gigabit connection and terabytes of storage with off-site backup, so if we'd have been able to amass more of an archive we'd have been in a very good position to be able to host these and to try and keep the format alive. Hindsight is 20/20, eh?

|  IP: Logged

Arian Berndt
Film Handler

- posted 10-25-2018 03:41 PM      Profile for Arian Berndt   Email Arian Berndt   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Dear Kieran,

first - a big up to you and your crew for that fabulous undertaking. The most serious Film-a-thon we did was 4 features, single reel changeover. All 8 Potters on 35 is quite a challenge and deserves some serious praise.

Concerning the DTS discs - your preferred address for this request should be Brad Miller himself, as he has an comprehensive archive of DTS data and was kind enough to help us out with disc images for many tiltes! (most of the titles we would have otherwise have been forced to show in German dubbed.)

Please check the sdds, do a trial run. If it works, use it! The sound information won't get any better than this.
Concerning damage - srd suffers from abrasion, scratches and becomes illegible after a few 100 runs. Not so much sdds, in our experience, if a print works, it will work always. We only had issues with misprinted (misaligned) sdds tracks, these ones we did not get to play at all.

All the best -Arian

Allan Lyman
Film Handler

- posted 10-26-2018 03:53 AM      Profile for Allan Lyman   Email Allan Lyman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello Kieran
I can help you.pm me

alan

Kieran Hall
Film Handler

- posted 11-02-2018 05:52 PM      Profile for Kieran Hall   Author's Homepage   Email Kieran Hall   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for the help with the discs Alan!

And I'm glad to report we survived, Arian. We're lucky enough to run changeover but have a platter, so as the night went on there was less and less for us to do. And the digital sound formats were a bit of a mixed bag across the prints (all of which looked fab, and it was nice to see "normal" people in the audience commenting that they were on film), so we were lucky to have all of them.

The SDDS seemed to be misprinted on some of the reels of the earlier prints, but then conversely Order of the Phoenix tracked 'F' all the way through on the SRD whilst having flawless SDDS (we were tracking the DCMs on the alignment software). When I posted we were in the middle of swapping our DFP-R2000s out for 3000s, so it was a relief to learn that the SDDS tracks were mostly good. They did indeed sound great. [Smile]

Gorges Gorgero
Film Handler

- posted 01-12-2019 02:48 AM      Profile for Gorges Gorgero   Email Gorges Gorgero   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello friends, I am a projectionist from Spain and I have a film library, I have been trying for a long time to get all the DTS discs from the Harry Potter 35mm movies, and I was happy to read about it in the forum. I have all the HP movies in 35mm and I am interested in getting an image of all the DTS discs, please you can help me.
Thank you

Gorges Gorgero
Film Handler

- posted 01-15-2019 04:22 PM      Profile for Gorges Gorgero   Email Gorges Gorgero   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello friends, thanks to all, I have received the discs of HP 1, 2, 3, 4 and 5, if someone is interested I can upload them to a cloud.
If someone has 6, 7 and 8 please I would like to have them too.
If someone decides to sell some 35mm HP copy of any of the 8 movies I am also interested in buying it.
Greetings and thanks

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: