Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » How many "endless loop" systems were in use during film's heyday? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: How many "endless loop" systems were in use during film's heyday?
Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 10-18-2018 02:27 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A guy on Quora stated that "in all the theaters he's gone to," continuous loop projection was used because "it's impossible" to keep up with threading 6 or more projectors in a multiplex.

I was just wondering how accurate that is --- I always thought continuous loop was more of a niche market.

Any of you guys with good memories able to shed some light here?

|  IP: Logged

Martin McCaffery
Film God

- posted 10-18-2018 02:39 PM      Profile for Martin McCaffery   Author's Homepage   Email Martin McCaffery   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Does it indicate what country he's from?
And though it is one of my recurring nightmares, there was nothing difficult about keeping up with multiple rethreadings.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 10-18-2018 03:06 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
He's from California. Here's what he wrote about the subject:

quote:
The theaters I’ve gone to all use continuous loop platter systems (It surprised me when I first saw this too). When a multiplex setup has one projectionist running 10 (or more) theaters (6 or 7 running 35mm films) there is no way to keep up threading and re-threading projectors all day every day. Continuous loop systems also increase the over all reliability of projection (limited human intervention and as you mentioned “venues where the same film would be exhibited thousands and thousands of times” implies higher reliability) so the customers have a much better experience.
I have a feeling he is confusing a regular platter system with a continuous one, but I'm still curious about how many continuous systems were actually used. I don't remember ever seeing anyone on Film-Tech talk about using one in a regular theater.

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 10-18-2018 03:54 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There were several of the Potts and the Christie ELF endless loops systems installed but most had issues
The most sucessfull was the Cinemecanica Loop

Sam D. Chavez
Film God

- posted 10-18-2018 04:06 PM      Profile for Sam D. Chavez   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Vey few endless loop setups but not or lack of trying. They only really worked well where you were showing the same feature for a long period of time. Museums, etc. I went to Photokina in the early '90's and every projector maker had one that year. It was hilarious to see how each company went at the task.

Kinoton was by far the fanciest, most precise unit, as if to force the film to behave. The Cinemeccanica was the sloppiest unit, even worse than the Potts, but it worked very well due to anti static brushes to calm the film static charge.

As we know the idea never caught on. It took some skill and time to make up and tear down the film. Once made up it was a nightmare to move to another screen.

Boy, good riddance.

Matthew Ortado
Film Handler

- posted 10-18-2018 06:11 PM      Profile for Matthew Ortado   Email Matthew Ortado   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sam,
I think that the ORC endless loop had to be worse than the Potts.

Justin Hamaker
Film God

- posted 10-18-2018 06:53 PM      Profile for Justin Hamaker   Author's Homepage   Email Justin Hamaker   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sounds like someone who never worked in a projection booth. When we had film I could thread all 5 of our projectors within about 10 minutes when necessary. I can't imagine a single person would have a problem running at 15-20 screen as long as they were dedicated to the projection room.

Marcel Birgelen
Film God

- posted 10-18-2018 07:17 PM      Profile for Marcel Birgelen   Email Marcel Birgelen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In the heydays of film, it wasn't unusual to have one projectionist handle 15 or so screens. With "single booth" designs and a bit of planning, organization and a competent projectionist, that should be no issue at all.

Even back then, there was screen management software, often in-house systems that kept track of what was playing.

I've only ever seen continuous loop systems in museums and theme parks, where it makes sense. It's not like those systems don't come with their own mechanical challenges.

Back in the 90's I used to work for a cinema with 5 screens, due to the convoluted layout, it could take you up to 5 minutes to get from one side of the building to another. So, getting all screens set on-time on your own, could be quite the challenge. Even then, endless loop systems would only have limited use, because we quite often did schedule different movies per screen...

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 10-18-2018 07:45 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We had just one customer that had many loops in their complex. They had mostly Potts but an Elf (Christie) and a couple of ORCs that were resigned to normal platter use.

A key to them seemed to be watching temp and humidity. What did them in at that complex was polyester. The static build up made them just too unreliable.

Another issue with loops is the eventual mottling of the film as it has to rub a bit on itself.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 10-18-2018 08:59 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We experimented with the Potts endless loop when I did the work for Classic Cinemas in the mid 80's. It was a disaster with oily film and then they were mainly a second run chain, so the chances of getting an oily print were pretty high. So we pulled it out and reinstalled a regular platter at that location. After I left and they added some screens to certain sites that had been single screens... namely The York in Elmhurst and The Paramount in Kankakee. They used Christie Elfs in both these places with pretty good success, but these sites also were first run and the prints were not oily.

Museum of Science & Industry also had a Christie Elf in the Space Shuttle ride film exhibit, and it gave very little trouble.

Mark

Randy Stankey
Film God

- posted 10-19-2018 03:40 AM      Profile for Randy Stankey   Email Randy Stankey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Justin Hamaker
I can't imagine a single person would have a problem running at 15-20 screen as long as they were dedicated to the projection room.
I ran the 17-screen booth at Tinseltown, here in Erie, from open till close, six days a week and I was often the only person in the booth. It's no problem at all if you know what you're doing.

When I was the service tech for Cinemark, there was a theater where the manager got canned and she knew it was coming so she told all the employees that, if she got fired, they would all be fired, too.

I got a phone call from the regional manager and was told to be at the theater by 8:00 a.m. (350 miles drive from my house.) The regional manager met me at the door and told me the whole story. By opening time only one or two employees showed up.

I ended up running a 20-screen booth, by myself, from open till close for a whole week. The booth was in a shambles so I had to make a lot of emergency repairs on top of the regular PMs that I was supposed to do. Furthermore, when the theater got busy, I occasionally went downstairs to help tear tickets, clean theaters or sell popcorn.

It was not a fun time but, as they say, "The show must go on." Right? [Wink]

Whoever this person on Quora is, he obviously doesn't know much about theaters. It is easily possible for a competent person to run a megaplex booth by himself!

Ken Lackner
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 10-19-2018 10:01 AM      Profile for Ken Lackner   Email Ken Lackner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've never seen an endless loop platter in operation. I have been to MANY theaters. I have run up to 18 screens by myself. No problem at all.

Sounds like someone who's never been in a 35mm projection booth.

Mike, do you have a link so we can see the full conversation? I'm curious about the context.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 10-19-2018 12:14 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Here is a link to the original question... if you click on my answer, then you can read his answer to me and my reply to him. To me he seems like a guy who used to go to a lot of movies and he looked in the booth windows a lot, or maybe had a projectionist friend, and now is a typical theater-bashing TV watcher.

Quora link

Quora is really clunky - I get too irritated with it to spend much time reading it, but I do enjoy answering questions on it from time to time.

Ken Lackner
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 10-19-2018 01:01 PM      Profile for Ken Lackner   Email Ken Lackner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I can only see the first line of your reply. When I click on it, it doesn't expand.

The way I read it, he is not actually talking about continuous loop platters. Loop is certainly not the correct term, since the head is not spliced to the tail to actually make a loop. But it seems he is simply referring to splicing all the reels together to make up one long print as opposed to running 2k reels in a changeover setup.

quote:
They usually come in 5 or 6 20 minute (really heavy) reels and get spliced together into one giant 90 or 120 minute pancake so no rewinding or swapping of projectors. Just one long continuous loop…
No rewinding or swapping of projectors (changeover) is certainly true when platters are used. He probably has no idea that there actually are (were?) continuous loop platters that are distinctly different from normal platters and that "continuous loop" is NOT the appropriate term here.

He doesn't seem to be bashing cinema too much (just a little it seems), and his description is mostly accurate. Except for the part where the hard drive shipping boxes are locked!

Dennis Benjamin
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 10-19-2018 01:38 PM      Profile for Dennis Benjamin   Author's Homepage   Email Dennis Benjamin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The first theatre I was General Manager of - the Springhill 4 in Springhill, Florida had 4 endless loop platter systems. This was 1991 through 1992.

Those things were a bad idea. When we ran JFK, we had to have an intermission and use the "Stacked" endless loop system. Rethread the movie each show.

What a nightmare. Never feared film after that though.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: