Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Help with a Peerless Magnarc (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Help with a Peerless Magnarc
Gary E Fenner
Film Handler

- posted 10-16-2018 05:25 PM      Profile for Gary E Fenner   Author's Homepage   Email Gary E Fenner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I am a rookie here, but wanted to see if anyone can help me identify a date and maybe a value on two old projectors. They were made by J.E. McAuley Mfg. Co. of Chicago. They are Peerless Magnarc High Intensity Lamps. The arc volts are 31-40 and the arc amp is 32-65. The motor volts are 31-110 and the motor amps are .4-.9. They have the yellow knobs on them and the serial #'s are 5752 and 5753. Any information you could give me would be greatly appreciated.

|  IP: Logged

Donald Brown
Expert Film Handler

- posted 10-16-2018 06:39 PM      Profile for Donald Brown   Email Donald Brown   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If you open the back of the lamp, which will swing away from the main body of the unit on it's hinges, on the aluminum casting that you have fully exposed (which forms the back of the lamp's main body) you should notice a manufacturing date in raised relief lettering.
You may also be able to date the unit by identifying the specific model Magnarc that you have.
As for assessing the value of the lamp house, it primarily depends on the unit's condition and locating someone who might be interested in buying it.
The Peerless Magnarc was once the workhorse of the exhibition industry!

Gary E Fenner
Film Handler

- posted 10-16-2018 06:48 PM      Profile for Gary E Fenner   Author's Homepage   Email Gary E Fenner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Donald, that is helpful. These are projectors that are in my hometown about 150 miles from me. I have a friend that I am asking to go look for the manufacturing date and the model #. I am interested in them because I believe my dad ran these projectors for my hometown theatre when he was in high school in the late 30's.

Will Kutler
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 10-17-2018 02:35 AM      Profile for Will Kutler   Email Will Kutler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Magnarc value? Depends on who wishes to purchase and for how much! I have a pair that were literally given to me (saved from the trash), then I have seen people list several on E-Bay for $1500.00 and they never sold!

I am currently bringing back my pair to as new condition. This has included a complete teardown to the last bolt, sand-blasting and refinishing of all castings; sheetmetal repair and refinishing; full mechanical, electrical and optical restoration. I have not seen the embossed lettering as described by Don.

Post photographs of your units, as there were several different models (and design changes to those models)over time. Include photos of the rear door data plate as well as the interior of the electrical junction box on the non-operator side.

Louis Bornwasser
Film God

- posted 10-17-2018 09:27 AM      Profile for Louis Bornwasser   Author's Homepage   Email Louis Bornwasser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Which town? Which theatre?

Magnarcs also have a series number on the rear. A few things changed over the years. (Prime years are 1938 to 1970)

Gary E Fenner
Film Handler

- posted 10-18-2018 12:11 PM      Profile for Gary E Fenner   Author's Homepage   Email Gary E Fenner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Louis, the projectors are in my hometown of Wilmington OH in the Murphy Theatre which was built in 1918. For a while, they showed talkies. They really aren't looking to sell them, we are just trying to do some research on them for historical and display purposes. My friend has looked and he could not find any raised lettering with dates on them either. p.s. I live right down the road from you in Spring Valley.

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 10-20-2018 07:00 AM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The only practical value to these would be for someone who already has them installed and in operation and needs parts. Reflectors, especially, are valuable items. Otherwise, these are only worth what they are worth as display items (and the design is indeed gorgeous). Essentially no one is installing these now, as the availability of carbons and parts is poor and likely to get worse.

Will Kutler
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 10-21-2018 11:01 AM      Profile for Will Kutler   Email Will Kutler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
As a person who is very experienced in Magnarc restoration, I am in disagreement with some of Mr. Norwood's comments.

Furthermore, it would be most appreciated if Mr. Brown can supply some pictures or specific info regarding the raised letters that he has so-often mentioned. I am very interested in seeing that. Otherwise, all information for the lamp can be found on the rear "bell door". This is a piece of sheet-metal that is held on with 4 ea. spiral-flue hammer-drive screws (available on-line or at most hardware stores).

My current projects are a pair of consecutive serial number Type "E"s that were literally given to me. Having consecutive serial numbers in itself is a rarity!

I am very fortunate to have original pristine copies of the 1st, 2nd and 3rd edition (McAuley)books for the High Intensity Type "E" lamps. These were the most common version. These books are extremely well bound and illustrated! They contain all set-up, operating and servicing instructions. They also contain the complete Bill-of Material (including parts price list). Finally, they depict all of the changes that were made to these models over time.

Please note that both the positive and negative carbon clamp/jaw and guide parts are different depending on the carbon rod diameter.

Restoring a Magnarc is dependent on how far you want to go and your financial budget. Properly restored, they make wonderful display pieces. For those who may want to use them for a small screen, a 750 Watt Halogen bulb can be stretched across the carbon holders and properly aligned and focused in.

The only real part that is getting difficult to find are new mirrors. They are around, but those who have them want top-dollar! Everything else is readily available or can be fabricated. In some cases, the fabrication of new parts can be superior to the originals while maintaining the original design appearance.

For example, mica washers are readily available, as is lava bar stock to machine new insulators. Ohmite still manufactures the rheostat. New gears can be machined for the arc-feed motor gear box, and the bearing thrust washers are readily available on-line or at any bearing supply. All of the shafts and door hinges are nickel-plated steel. Nickel plating is expensive, and will wear-out over time. I have machined all new parts from 303 Stainless Steel. A good custom-rod/sheet-metal shop can remove any dents from the doors and sheet-metal hood (ENGLISH WHEEL).

Gary E Fenner
Film Handler

- posted 10-21-2018 04:01 PM      Profile for Gary E Fenner   Author's Homepage   Email Gary E Fenner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Will. These two are consecutive serial numbers and seem to be pretty low numbers compared to others I have seen. I was hoping someone could tell me the age of the projectors just based on the serial numbers. The books you mention sound interesting. Could you give me the name of them so I might be able to look for one? I don't need one in pristine condition, but it would be good to keep with the projectors. I expect these projectors will be display only, but since the theatre is celebrating 100 years, it would be a part of the history of the theatre.

Will Kutler
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 10-21-2018 04:54 PM      Profile for Will Kutler   Email Will Kutler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Please post a picture of yours.

Gary E Fenner
Film Handler

- posted 10-21-2018 05:17 PM      Profile for Gary E Fenner   Author's Homepage   Email Gary E Fenner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Give me a few days to figure out how to post pictures. It seems a little complicated and I am tied up with another project until Wed. or Thurs.

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 10-22-2018 10:37 AM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I believe the largest installed base of the magnarc was the type G usually had grey or purplish doors Had a bar magnet rather than the horeshoe style and the gear box used a different combination of gears

Carl Martin
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 10-23-2018 02:48 PM      Profile for Carl Martin   Author's Homepage   Email Carl Martin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Scott Norwood
the availability of carbons and parts is poor and likely to get worse.
i've been testing sample carbons from marble of japan (newly manufactured in indonesia) with good results so far. the stanford theater in palo alto has been happy with them. maybe the only game in town now. order them while you can (and they'll be available longer if you do).

Buck Wilson
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 10-23-2018 05:53 PM      Profile for Buck Wilson   Email Buck Wilson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If it's any easier for you, email me your pictures and I'll post them. Email can be found by clicking my user name.

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 10-23-2018 09:15 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Who is the distributor for them

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: