Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » DTS XD10 Encrypted Discs

Author Topic: DTS XD10 Encrypted Discs
David Ferguson
Film Handler

- posted 09-28-2018 02:17 PM      Profile for David Ferguson   Email David Ferguson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm very new to film and cinema tech, so sorry if this is a silly or already answered question.

I'm aware that the DTS-6D needs the v1.46 ROM chip in order to decode and play encrypted discs from ~2005 onwards.

I'm wondering what upgrades a DTS XD10 would need to read the encrypted discs. Is it just a firmware upgrade, or is a hardware upgrade needed like the 6D?

Thanks!

|  IP: Logged

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 09-28-2018 02:26 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm pretty sure the XD10 could play any disc from the get-go. I think Brad has posted the last version of the XD10 firmware...which is a good one and, among other things, allows one to allocate more space on the HDD to audio storage (take away from video storage).

Hardware wise...XD10s suffer from bad electrolytic capacitors and if they haven't failed on yours, they have already be replaced or it is a miracle.

Victor Liorentas
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 09-28-2018 06:21 PM      Profile for Victor Liorentas   Email Victor Liorentas   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Are there any early warning signs to capacitor failure?

Tony Bandiera Jr
Film God

- posted 09-28-2018 09:09 PM      Profile for Tony Bandiera Jr   Email Tony Bandiera Jr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Victor Liorentas
Are there any early warning signs to capacitor failure?
Yes..

Long bootup times (or hanging on bootup);
Erratic behavior or crashing during operation;
Display errors or flickering;
Errors in playback or when loading new discs

You can also pop the cover and look carefully at the electrolytic caps..any with bulging tops or goop oozing out are bad.

Mark G. did a post some time ago showing what bad caps look like... you can also find that info on the web.

Stephan Shelley
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 10-05-2018 02:58 PM      Profile for Stephan Shelley   Email Stephan Shelley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The very first disks of Jurassic Park will not play on the XD10. They later reissued disk that will.

Blaine Young
Master Film Handler

- posted 10-08-2018 10:54 AM      Profile for Blaine Young   Email Blaine Young   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The original "Heart and Soul" discs won't work either (for the same reason as the Jurassic Park discs).

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: