Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Kinoton Sound Pressure roller rings

Author Topic: Kinoton Sound Pressure roller rings
Abraham Robinson
Film Handler

- posted 09-26-2018 03:11 PM      Profile for Abraham Robinson     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The old ones hardened, so I am replacing the rubber o-rings. I got new ones from a reputable source, just thought I'd ask - any advice for someone doing this for the first time? thanks!

|  IP: Logged

Phillip Grace
Expert Film Handler

- posted 09-26-2018 06:47 PM      Profile for Phillip Grace   Email Phillip Grace   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Only this. Be very careful if using a tool - screwdriver or something - to remove the old ones. Easy to slip and scratch the flange of the roller. I've done just that trying to save the old rings in case of dire emergency. Now I opt to break the old rings and dig them out along the length of the groove. Never across it! A wooden skewer would be a safer tool than anything metal, of course. There seems to be no difficulty getting the new ones over the flange. Make sure they fit into the grooves without lumps. I've never found it necessary to adjust the tension on the lay-on roller springs after fitting new rollers.

Abraham Robinson
Film Handler

- posted 09-27-2018 11:58 AM      Profile for Abraham Robinson     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Phillip!

I should perhaps change the subject line for this thread, as now I'm getting private messages asking where to source these rings.

the person who PM'd me says BL&S and Cardinal both do not have them anymore

Sam D. Chavez
Film God

- posted 09-27-2018 01:45 PM      Profile for Sam D. Chavez   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have heard that as well. I keep meaning to check with Kinoton but have not.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 09-27-2018 04:26 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Are they really even necessary? Perhaps really only necessary for scanning SRD if at all...? FP-20's did not have those...

Mark

Sam D. Chavez
Film God

- posted 09-27-2018 07:09 PM      Profile for Sam D. Chavez   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The O rings are needed now because the sound drum was redesigned so there is only contact on the inner edge of the film.

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 09-28-2018 08:11 AM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Please note, we can still get them from Kinoton Digital Solutions (as I'm sure BL&S can) BUT, we would need to combine them with other Kinoton stuff or they would be horrendously expensive. The freight/customs...etc on small items like that would be more than the actual item (substantially).

So if there really is a market for them (or other Kinoton wearables), then we would need to know in advance and we'll tack them onto our next order.

Also note, since film usage is way down (to say the least) so are people's needs for consumables so our orders are very infrequent. Things that used to wear out in a year last just about indefinitely. So, unless it ages poorly on-the-shelf, people just aren't ordering stuff. And, if it ages poorly, then we are not going to stock it since it would die on the shelf.

Sean McKinnon
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 10-06-2018 09:00 AM      Profile for Sean McKinnon   Author's Homepage   Email Sean McKinnon   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I checked with our purchasing coordinator and we (BLS) CAN still get these and may even have some in stock. Call Mark G. At BLS.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 10-06-2018 09:09 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Why not ask one of the German guys on here like Sasha Roll about getting them. He is a Kinoton expert and probably goes right to the factory for his parts.

Mark

Steve Guttag

- posted 10-06-2018 05:01 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm sure it is the same issue...it isn't the cost of the part...it is the cost of getting the part delivered. Once we get enough to order (money wise), tacking on o-rings is no biggie. They don't even have any impact on freight because they don't weigh much nor take up significant space. But if they ARE the order, then freight on them is significant and skews their pricing considerably. My guess is that the most economical way of sending them by themselves is via "post" as they would fit in a first class envelope and probably stay within the weight constraints. Though, for 4 rings, postage all of the way from Germany and then to the final destination would still be significant to the cost of them.

Sam D. Chavez
Film God

- posted 10-06-2018 07:58 PM      Profile for Sam D. Chavez   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Keeping such low cost but expensive to obtain parts in stock has to be an act of faith that the customers will appreciate the effort and come back for other things. You can't expect to make a profit on each nut and bolt, but it's an obligation if you want to support a particular brand even though its use is dwindling. Where is Bornwasser to weigh in here?

Steve Guttag

- posted 10-06-2018 08:19 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sam, at present, we do keep stock on such things to satisfy the units we have installed but have not stocked up on the off-chance that people would come calling.

It is a new world we live in trying to figure that right balance of what to put on the shelf that may sell in a reasonable amount of time. I'll likely get quite a few extra o-rings on the next order but I'll bet I sit on them for a long time. It is always the way of things. Again, O-rings are not that big a cost thing so I'll take the minimal risk. I think we go through more of the black O-rings used on the flywheel accelerator (same part used on one of the platter rollers). They seem to crack up in some installations/environments. The green O-rings have a very long service life.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: