Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » old DTS6D update

Author Topic: old DTS6D update
Elia Orselli
Film Handler

- posted 09-06-2018 05:53 AM      Profile for Elia Orselli   Author's Homepage   Email Elia Orselli   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello,
I've found a DTS6D and I'd like to keep it working. Does anyone knows if is still possible to find at least a v.1.46 chip? Unfortunately this unit has still an older chip and the famous Toshiba cd drivers.

I've seen that in the warehouse section there's mostly everything about DTS processors, but I'd like to have a (iso) copy of the Empirical Test Disk.

Thanks a lot,
Elia

|  IP: Logged

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 09-09-2018 08:59 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Gosh, I had a bunch of DTS 6D parts until a couple months ago. I may have saved some of them and I will look in storage next time I am there. To use faster CD Rom drives or DVD drives you need an adapter board that mounts to the rear of the drives and digitally slows down the data output of the drive so the player can actually read it. Just a short time ago I had a 6D that had all the updates dine to it and that included a new sub mother board and new main mother board that were much smaller than the original board was. I may have saved a picture. I had never seen one modified this way before, but it was for sure done at the factory.

Mark

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 09-10-2018 09:25 AM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The adapters was a convertor to change the IED to SCSI and a aditionaly board controlled the speed and when the v1.46 was youed one of the dos chips was removed

Greg Routenburg
Expert Film Handler

- posted 09-13-2018 08:43 AM      Profile for Greg Routenburg   Email Greg Routenburg   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I might still have the EEPROM bin file of the 1.46 TC firmware somewhere but unless you can get drives for it, you're pretty much out of luck. Even IDE CD-ROM drives are becoming very hard to come by these days.

If you want to use IDE drives, you need to get your hands on three ACARD AEC-7720U SCSI-IDE bridge cards to mount to the back of the drives. You'll also need the little ISA card with the AQRM chip on it if you don't have it already.

With that bridge adapter, any IDE CD-ROM drive up to 52X will work.

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 09-13-2018 10:45 AM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
With the scsi adapter on them they also support the use of DVD drives

Blaine Young
Master Film Handler

- posted 10-08-2018 10:50 AM      Profile for Blaine Young   Email Blaine Young   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've updated my DTS-6 and DTS-6D units with the Pioneer slot-load SCSI DVD drives. They worked great until the theater converted to Digital.

I have a 1.46 chip and can probably burn a duplicate, if I can ID the type of chip and find one.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: