Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Flightcase for 16mm projector

Author Topic: Flightcase for 16mm projector
Floris Vanhoof
Film Handler

- posted 09-03-2018 10:41 AM      Profile for Floris Vanhoof   Email Floris Vanhoof   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Dear,
I'm going on tour with a modified B&H TQ3 projector that needs to fly as checked baggage.
Does anyone has any experience with this?
Anything I should mention to the flight case builder?
Any materials you can recommend?

A trolley like flightcase for this projector would be good as the projector will be taken on the road often.

|  IP: Logged

Randy Stankey
Film God

- posted 09-03-2018 11:06 AM      Profile for Randy Stankey   Email Randy Stankey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Pelican cases.

https://www.pelican.com/us/en/products/cases

I used to carry my oscilloscope and other film gear in Pelican cases when I worked for Cinemark.

Many of the road shows I used to manage on the stage at Mercyhurst carried their equipment in Pelican cases.

Now, I carry much of my personal camera equipment in them, too.

They are Mil-Spec, airline approvable and, depending on the model, they are waterproof and can can be submerged under a meter of salt water for 48 hours without leakage.

Virtually indestructible.

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 09-03-2018 01:22 PM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Pelican is great. I don't know if they do custom work in quantities of one, though. For that, you might need to go somewhere like Anvil http://www.anvilcase.com/

Anything custom won't be cheap, though.

Randy Stankey
Film God

- posted 09-03-2018 01:35 PM      Profile for Randy Stankey   Email Randy Stankey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't think you necessarily need a custom case.

Besides, they really only customize the interior. You can do that by yourself.

You can use the Pick-N-Pack cube foam that the case comes with. You can cut layers of foam sheet using a hot knife then glue the layers together with contact adhesive. If you need something really customized, you could use a plastic bag filled with expanding polyurethane foam to mold the exact shape you want.

Out of all the Pelican (or Anvil) cases I have seen in my travels, I can hardly remember any that had customized interiors.

I've never seen anything get damaged in a Pelican case that was due to a failure of the case or the foam interior.

Floris Vanhoof
Film Handler

- posted 09-03-2018 03:20 PM      Profile for Floris Vanhoof   Email Floris Vanhoof   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
thanks for the info.

The projector weighs 20kg.
Flightcases can transmit shock.
I'm afraid that even with protection inside a sturdy case,
if they drop it one meter, the shock can still move the parts inside.
Any recommendations welcome!

Other option is trying to get it in the plane.
But only 7kg is allowed and it’s 5 cm over size.

Or maybe I can dismantle it as much as possible,
take the largest part in the cabin,
and check in only a few well packed parts.

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 09-03-2018 04:40 PM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Does it have to go on a plane with you, or could you mail it ahead of time? Maybe get two projectors and have them leap-frog each other from venue to venue.

Floris Vanhoof
Film Handler

- posted 09-03-2018 05:50 PM      Profile for Floris Vanhoof   Email Floris Vanhoof   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mailing the projector will have the same problem: the flight case will be dropped during handling.

I just tried to partly dismantle the projector as much as possible,
but the largest pasts stay to large and heavy.

Gary A. Hoselton
Film Handler

- posted 09-03-2018 08:44 PM      Profile for Gary A. Hoselton   Email Gary A. Hoselton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think the B&H TQ3 should survive the 1 meter drop if it has some progressive-absorbing foam around it.

My worry would be the sound flywheel. I'd favor the earlier cast flywheel, which weighs 20 oz, for I've seen two examples of the later 3-big-washers flywheel, which weighs 32oz, bending the sound drum shaft, and haven't seen that with the cast flywheel. If you have later 3-washer flywheel, can't change to cast as sound drum shaft is longer, so remove one big washer and substitute small diameter washer(s) of equal thickness to get back to little more than 20 oz which was what shaft was apparently designed for. I can't discern any difference in sound quality with either weight of flywheel, even listening to sustained piano tone in SMPTE Jiffy test film. Perhaps the washers cost less than the cast flywheel.

Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 09-04-2018 09:30 PM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
For any significant distance, drop-shipping an object of that size and weight will be a lot more expensive than checking it as airline baggage traveling with a passenger.

I'm not sure what the situation is in Europe now (I've been gone for six years), but here in the US, the legacy airlines usually charge an economy class passenger who does not have frequent flyer elite status a flat $25 for the first checked item and $50 for the second. This is regardless of whether you're traveling from LA to Palm Springs (believe it or not, there are scheduled passenger flights over that tiny distance!) or Boston to Honolulu. The longer the distance, the heavier the item, and the quicker it has to get there, the more FedEx or UPS will charge. I'm pretty sure that a 16mm projector in a flight case would end up being more expensive to ship than to carry as airline checked baggage going with a passenger for most if not all journeys.

Richard Fowler
Film God

- posted 09-05-2018 07:50 AM      Profile for Richard Fowler   Email Richard Fowler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Check with the airline regarding dimension restrictions; weight may be restricted from 22 to 31 KG. Excess check in baggage charges can be at a special rate If you check in as a media / production company.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: