Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE
Topic Closed  Topic Closed

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » speco platter problem

Author Topic: speco platter problem
Bill Hall
Film Handler

- posted 08-27-2018 08:48 PM      Profile for Bill Hall   Email Bill Hall   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
HI I was able to acquire a 8 pin rectifier and soldered in the two chocolate bar resistors. I hooked up the power and the lights came on and so I threaded the projector and pushed very carefully the payout green button and then the take up platter the red one and all went very well. At that time I felt that I had tamed the machine but then tonight went to run film to find the size of image on the screen and oh oh the breaker quit. I am back to square one now with a major short as when I turn the power switch on the breaker trips so not sure what to do next . It appears that a major short will hide itself from view so will try to check wires tomorrow but at a loss as to why it would run very well and then quit.
Many Thanks if anyone has a suggestion as to where to look
Thank you

|  IP: Logged

Tony Bandiera Jr
Film God

- posted 08-31-2018 09:03 PM      Profile for Tony Bandiera Jr   Email Tony Bandiera Jr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
OK, couple things:

One, do not keep starting a new thread every time (especially with the same teaser title) ..just reply to the first one.

Now, let's get to some troubleshooting 101:

When you say breaker, are you talking about the one in your home's panel that controls the outlet the platter is plugged into?

EDIT: This from your first thread..

quote:
The breaker is 15 amp and last night worked well and today after a lot of rain it just blows the breaker.
You have a problem with your house wiring.....get it checked by an electrician ASAP. The platter has nothing to do with this...

If yes....the problem is most likely not with the platter, but with the outlet or associated wiring. You may have loads connected on the same circuit as the outlet that are drawing near the breaker's capacity, and the platter pushes that over the edge.

If there IS a short, in the platter or otherwise (and my instincts tell me it's in the house wiring) repeatedly resetting the breaker is a bad thing, it WILL make it weaker and it WILL eventually fail. (And if the issue is a wiring problem in the walls, it can start a fire.) You need to, in this case, get a licensed electrician to find out what is going on and replace the breaker.

Now, if we are talking about the breaker in the platter itself, then the problem is not necessarily in your house wiring...maybe.

The outlet you are connected to should (must) be wired properly..one of the plug-in testers with the three lights (available at any Home Depot or Lowe's, and at most hardware stores) will tell you if there is an issue in the outlet.

The Christie Autowind 2 was a platter design that was very sensitive to bad wiring...an outlet with the hot and neutral reversed usually destroyed ALL of the speed control modules beyond repair. (I used to repair them, and tested the theory on my AW2 I was using as the "test stand". The failure mode was dramatic and very smelly.)

I am not sure if the Speco would be sensitive like that (and haven't had the time to review the manual posted) but the reverse outlet wiring may be part of the problem you are having. (A cheap extension cord or outlet strip is usually wired backwards so be aware of that.)

If you have access to a multimeter that measures ohms, here are some basic checks you can do:

Using the ohms scale (range 200 ohms or so), and taking readings at the platter's cord end, here are readings that would indicate problems:

With one probe on the hot prong of the plug (left hand prong with it pointing AT you) and the other at the points mentioned in turn:

To the Neutral prong (right hand facing you) you should see no less than 3-4 ohms with the platter switches engaged "normally" i.e. one Payout, one Takeup. A reading of 0 ohms is a short circuit. (You MIGHT see a reading around 1-2 ohms, which depending on the meter, is maybe not an issue...but that low of resistance at 120volts would be a very high current flow.)

To the GROUND pin (round or "U" shaped) from the HOT to Ground, you should not see ANY resistance reading UNDER 10,000 ohms. (Most meters read high resistance outside of the range selected as "OL" or show no reading at all.)

ANY reading on the 200 ohm scale is bad, and indicates a possible pinched wire, defective motor, or other issue.

(From the Neutral to Ground, generally the same rules apply, however SOME equipment can read a low resistance between Ground and Neutral and it is not abnormal.)

Let us know what you find based on the above info and I or someone else can suggest other things to look for.

Bill Hall
Film Handler

- posted 08-31-2018 09:48 PM      Profile for Bill Hall   Email Bill Hall   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
ok many thanks for the info will see how it looks over the weekend. I am a little new to this forum so will try to do better in my writings
thank You
Bill

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 09-01-2018 08:46 AM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I doubt it is house wiring is the culprit
If the bridge recifier failed it indicates a short in the platter
on speccos the common ones were the pushbuttons, the tab on the control SCR touching something it shouldn't in the arm under the feed plate and occasionaly at brush in one of the motors

Tony Bandiera Jr
Film God

- posted 09-01-2018 10:27 AM      Profile for Tony Bandiera Jr   Email Tony Bandiera Jr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Gordon, did you not see this?

quote:
EDIT: This from your first thread..

quote:
The breaker is 15 amp and last night worked well and today after a lot of rain it just blows the breaker.
You have a problem with your house wiring.....get it checked by an electrician ASAP. The platter has nothing to do with this...
Unless he has the platter sitting outdoors, the fact that rain caused the breaker to trip means there is a problem with his wiring, NOT the platter.

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 09-04-2018 03:54 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Interesting that Bill has three threads titled the same.

Bill Hall
Film Handler

- posted 09-04-2018 08:59 PM      Profile for Bill Hall   Email Bill Hall   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
HI I know made a mistake on posting the same problem so my apologies on that note. I am still working with finding the short so will try to shorten the power cord in case the wires are pinched inside .I will try to do better at posting so for now my apologies
Bill

Bill Hall
Film Handler

- posted 09-10-2018 09:51 PM      Profile for Bill Hall   Email Bill Hall   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The problem with the platter has been found and it was a simple fix but it was not until one of the people who responded that gave me a clue as to what to look for. Years ago it appears that the screws that hold the white wire and the black wire were in the wrong place. I checked the polarity and it was wrong and I feel a little sheepish for not listening more but the problem is solved now and I cannot express my feelings of Thankfulness as this has made my day today as the platter now works and gives out film and takes it up . I have some sound but the film has parts of it that are upside down so the sound also is the same but that can be fixed.
I hope all you folks will accept my apolooy for not dong better but sometimes in life a very simple mistake can take days to fix so my hat goes off to all you folks for your help and now to get sound going and a new screen made and nice weather to watch a movie for real.
Thank you all
Bill Hall

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 09-11-2018 11:30 AM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Duplicate threads are not allowed. They turn the archives into a disorganized mess for people trying to research information in the future.

This thread is now closed.

Stick to the original thread here

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Open Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: