Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » CP500 with a SA10 Issues

Author Topic: CP500 with a SA10 Issues
Don Furr
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 06-26-2018 09:05 PM      Profile for Don Furr   Email Don Furr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Going through the SA10 setup manual I've run across something I can't seem to resolve. From the manual section 2.3.."Set CP500 Output Levels", 4th paragraph from the top of the page..."Start the projector with the Cat. 69T threaded in the digital reader. When the projector comes up to speed, the CP500 will play the Dolby tone from the film loop instead of the pink noise."

This is NOT working. The pink noise generated by the CP500 just continues.

The loop is being run through a Kinoton PK60D so to light the red leds for both analog and digital I have to open the douser which I am doing.

The SA10 manual also asked that you connect an AC voltmeter to the left surround (Ls) output terminal on the rear of the CP500 to read 120mVAC. Even with pink noise running through the surrounds I get ZERO reading on my voltmeter from the CP500 output strip.

I need help from someone who is familiar with the pairing of a SA10 with a CP500. I'm following the manual to the letter but have hit this impasse.

Can anyone help. If it too much to type I would be happy to call for your explanation. I realize this might could get lengthy.

|  IP: Logged

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 06-27-2018 11:32 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I wonder if you have an older version of firmware installed before the SA-10 existed??

Don Furr
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 06-27-2018 01:22 PM      Profile for Don Furr   Email Don Furr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Good point Mark.
On the "About this CP500" screen it states....Release 1.65, 5/21/2004. Is that the firmware or the software?

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 06-27-2018 05:44 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
1.65 and 1.65EX are the last versions of CP500 firmware. The EX version disables the Surround EQ but it does not set the output level. As I recall, you can set the test signal to Tone (1KHz) and then set the output such that you have the desired 120mV. It has been a LONG time since I installed my last "SA-TEN."

I just checked the instructions. You projector MUST be tracking Dolby digital for the film to interject its tone. So cat 69T (with digital track) should be running when you go to select the Ls and Rs outputs. I seem to recall that we had an overlay or somewhere marked the approximate output levels on the CP500. Now I could be wrong about the 1.65EX not also locking the Ls/Rs output levels to spec but I seem to recall that it didn't.

Don Furr
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 06-27-2018 08:52 PM      Profile for Don Furr   Email Don Furr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Steve do all cat 60T loops have a SRD track? I have two loops but my Kinoton won't pick up the SRD on either loop and switch over to Dolby digital.

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 06-27-2018 10:00 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
All later loops should but not earlier. If the Dolby Digital blocks are visible between the perfs, then it should pick up the digital track.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 06-27-2018 10:23 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It should pick it up, but all test loops I have run will eventually revert to analog and stay there. You can look at it with a scope though.

Mark

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: