Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Gain setting on Amp, Filter & Processor

Author Topic: Gain setting on Amp, Filter & Processor
Jerry Axelsson
Expert Film Handler

- posted 06-26-2018 12:10 PM      Profile for Jerry Axelsson   Email Jerry Axelsson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello colleagues,

We have a setup in a cinema which has Dolby CP-650, QSC 30D Filter and QSC DCA amps.
In each of these components there are gain settings/levels which affects the outcome.
What are your preferred gain settings for these levels and why?

Interesting to hear what you prefer and the reason behind it.

Thank you in advance.

|  IP: Logged

Sam D. Chavez
Film God

- posted 06-26-2018 12:46 PM      Profile for Sam D. Chavez   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I tend to run the amplifiers at something less than max and set everything upstream to achieve 85dB at 7 on the fader. Not sure of the QSC filter but assume it's a LF high pass filter.

I also try to set all the amps in a rack the same for repeatability. Say 12 O'clock. You can always come back and check if something has been messed with. You could do wide open to be fool proof but that has downsides. Lets say you have an accidental pop upstream from connecting equipment, turn off thump, for instance. At least the pop ends up attenuated.

QSC wants you to run wide open so the monitoring by DCM's works properly including the trouble lights.

Just my rule of thumb, not much science involved.

Harold Hallikainen
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 06-26-2018 01:36 PM      Profile for Harold Hallikainen   Author's Homepage   Email Harold Hallikainen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I like to keep the sound processor output trims around 0 dB. I've seen installations where the amplifiers were set to full gain, and the processor trims were down 15 dB. Depending on how the output trims are implemented, this can result in the SNR being 15 dB worse. Further, signals on the wiring are now down 15 dB and noise pickup is not. So, I've adjusted the processor output trims to 0 dB, adjusted the amplifier gain for about 85 dB SPL, then fine tuned the output trim as required. Our content has headroom of about 20 dB (recorded with a nominal level of -20 dB FS). We should keep signal levels as high as possible while maintaining the required headroom to maximize SNR.

My opinion, anyway!

Harold

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 06-26-2018 03:26 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The proper gain setting is when each component will "Clip" at the exact same time. That is the maximum S/N through the system. Some parts of the system you don't have access to (particularly in digital). Sometimes you need to allow for that you might do things like equalize the system so you have to allow for the fact you might have added gain to the system.

A simple rule of gain is you want to do it EARLY but not often (unlike voting ;-))

With analog getting the gain structure right keeps the noise level lowest. If you have a low signal and try to amplify it at the end, you also amplify the noise with it.

In digital, the gain is, in effect, the resolution of the digital word. It is great that you have a 24 bit system but if you only ever use 8 bits of it, well that is what you have and it too will be noisy. In earlier DSPs you paid that penalty much more than today.

So, in cinema, you generally would like your cinema processor to be at its nominal reference position (for most "classic" cinema processors, that is 300mV out when 1KHz tone at reference is playing. That reference could be as much as 20dB down from full-output.

A CP650 also has a noise-optimization mode that will improve its noise floor providing you DON'T put gain into the system on your EQ and then run the fader up past 7.0.

So, presuming you leave the CP650 at its normal shipping position move on down the line to the amplifier.

If your QSC 30D is a DSP-30...ditch it and get something else. That goes back to QSC's early DSP days (before the Basis stuff) and it wasn't the greatest. It was easily clipped and had an awkward user interface via the program called "Signal Manager."

IF the QSC 30D is the DCM-30D...well then you have another DSP box to keep an eye on. If you go to strong on your processor levels, you WILL clip its inputs. Furthermore, if you have a DCM-30D then your amplifiers should wide-open. End of story.

The Dataport inputs on the DCA line have internal resistors (varies by amplifier model) to set the gain structure on the between the DCM-30D and the DCA. They've already optimized it for you so move along.

This makes your job much easier. Just set the CP650 levels, at that point so they are right to get your reference levels (Pink noise at -20dBFS should be 85dBc at the reference position, after tuning the room).

For more interesting discussions on gain structure, check out Rane Note 135:

https://www.rane.com/note135.html

Jerry Axelsson
Expert Film Handler

- posted 06-26-2018 03:36 PM      Profile for Jerry Axelsson   Email Jerry Axelsson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes Steve, the filter we have is the QSC DCM 30D.
At the present the DCA amps are set to max, CP-650 is quite high in gain while the DCM-30D has a lower output.

Speakers JBL 3Way biamp.

The noise if definitely there, would like to trim it down if possible.

Steve Guttag

- posted 06-26-2018 06:47 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The DCM-30D is a "Monitor/Crossover" While it has "filters" in it, most would not call it that.

What do you mean that the DCM-30D has a "lower" output?

Which speaker are you using? JBL has a bunch of 3-ways. All of the 5000 series, some 4000 series and even some 3000 series.

Looking at the gains and the EQ done in the DCM-30D may lend some clues and then there is the EQ you are doing in the CP650. There are also realistic expectations from a cinema system and noise levels.

Jerry Axelsson
Expert Film Handler

- posted 06-29-2018 03:23 AM      Profile for Jerry Axelsson   Email Jerry Axelsson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello Steve,

I do not know by heart the model nr of our JBL:s.
Three way, larger model from around 2008...

The individial levels on the output channels on the QSC DCM-30D is set quite low. Can not say how low at the moment since there are USB connectivity issues via USB and Win 10. (Unregonizable unit) on several laptops.

The Dolby CP-650 levels out are around 110 + (which is about +20 from my two other cinemas). In the main cinema which we now also are talking about, we also have a CP200 connected to the CP650 and the QSC DCM30D for 35mm & 70mm Mag.

There might be a reason that we settled for this configuration some years ago, with the gain levels I mean...
We tested the available output gain from the CP200 to the CP650 yesterday, and there was plenty more to use to increase the output level to the CP650.

Will look into level out the out-and-in levels between the CP650 and the DCP-30D soon. Perhaps this was the best way to keep the noise level from the CP200 as low as possible when we settled for this setting?

We have the later if not the latest rev. cards for 70mm in the CP200.

Any reflections on this set-up and settings?
We use 5 screen channels for 70mm.

Steve Guttag

- posted 06-29-2018 07:30 AM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There are different ways and philosophies on how to integrate film, digital and other sources. If you were to check out the Warehouse and look up the AFI/Silver, you'll see how I integrated film and digital there...back in 2003.

i would NEVER have a CP200 feed into a CP650. There is zero benefit and one now has two volume controls. The CP650's audio path is narrower unless you put in the CAT778. With the CP200 one does have some work involved, for sure but either do it or don't. The CP200 can do a lot (and I've pushed it a bit, over the years). My guess is that people that feed a CP200 into a CP650 are seeking the CP650's ability to take serial or Ethernet commands for automating things. At the AFI/Silver, I used the Pennywise DF-1 box to also provide for serial control to the CP200 (you can do fader and format selection. Heck, we have a Crestron control there and if you dial up "77" then Crestron can set the format too.

Today, with DSP, I'd be more inclined to feed a CP200 (or whatever "film processor) into the DSP processor (e.g. QSC's Q-SYS) and let DCinema feed into it on its own path. As much as possible, I try to avoid feeding cinema processors into cinema processors. Not that I haven't done it too. In fact, I have several DCP300s (including at the AFI/Silver, now) that take a film processor feed though all future designs will be Q-SYS based, for me.

If you set your CP200 to "7.0" and feed Dolby Tone (format 66) out, your CP650 meters should be at Dolby Level (-20dBFS).

The CP650 has a 6-channel analog input, which doesn't support 5 screen channels. The only real way to support the full CP200 channel compliment is with the CAT778 card but that requires an A-D conversion to get the CP200 feed to AES form...another potential source for noise (not all A-D or D-A converters are equal...in fact, most are less than equal. Good ones are expensive).

The CP200's power supply, the PS1(B) can be a source of noise too. It really can't handle the load properly. Take an O-Scope and look at the ripple coming off of the various power rails. You WILL get hum and some extra noise out of it. We've adapted the PS1B to use switch mode power supplies and reduce the ripple to effectively zero. The difference in noise was pretty stark. Instead of a ripplely 12.5ish volts we supply +/-13.5 clean volts (and 24VDC too). Why 13.5? Because the CP200 was designed knowing its power supply would sag a bit. There are 12V relays used in it, not 15V and EVERY board has clamping diodes on it set to clamp at 15V or so. The CAT517, again knowing about the sagging voltage rails uses the +24 and -15V rails to get a greater voltage swing. They weren't expecting the full -15V (or 39V to those output chips, which is near their maximum) so we knock it down to +/-13.5V but it is a clean power.

But back to the problem at hand...you really have to get the gain structure right all of the way through and you SHOULD be able to determine where the noise contributions are happening.

Presuming you are using the analog inputs of the DCM-30D, then unplug it and see if the noise vanishes...if so, the noise is coming from the CP650 or upstream (CP200, if that is the source). If the noise is there, then look no further.

As for the gain within the DCM-30D, you have gain controls over all sections of the crossover output. It is normal to have the more sensitive sections (typically HF) turned down but if all sections have negative dB values (LF, MF and HF), then that is not right. The least efficient section (typically the LF section, but not always), will be at 0.0dB and then the others are balanced to it.

Before ANY tuning is done in ANY cinema processor, the Crossover should be optimized (get the delays right and apply whatever PEQ filters are necessary (within the capability of the unit) FIRST. Within the crossover, all three stage speakers should have the exact same settings. I have found that the "default" settings are often not correct or as good as they can be, particularly for non-QSC speakers (they are just going to put in what the other manufacturers supply them with and not all DSPs process the same so what settings apply to one DSP will likely need to be altered in a different DSP.

Then look at your speaker. You likely have something like the JBL 4632 or 4732. It need a LOT boost and tuning on its high frequencies. This is the response that the DCM-30D should be applying to a JBL 4632:

-

There is a LOT of boost need at 13KHz.

This dipicts a 2-way crossover and note that the HF section is -6dB yet +5dB around 13K or an 11dB boost. You'll probably hear that.

Even wired as a 3-way, the 4632 needs a serious treble boost 12dB or so by 13KHz. (about 3-4 dB/Oct) from crossover (1.2KHz) all of the way up.

Jerry Axelsson
Expert Film Handler

- posted 07-02-2018 10:02 AM      Profile for Jerry Axelsson   Email Jerry Axelsson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you Steve and others for your help and suggestions.
Much appreciated.

Best

J.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: