Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » 2001 A.S.O. - DTS discs compatible between 35 and 70mm? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5 

Author Topic: 2001 A.S.O. - DTS discs compatible between 35 and 70mm?
Sascha F. Roll
Expert Film Handler

- posted 06-14-2018 08:15 PM      Profile for Sascha F. Roll   Email Sascha F. Roll   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Because we‘re going to screen 2001 in 35mm (as well as DCP) next month I have the following question(s).

We definitely want the 5 channel front plus Surround (Original ToddAO mix).

Does anyone know for sure:
Is it possible to use the DTS discs shipped with the 70mm prints (5.1 remix and Classic 6 Channel ToddAO) for playback with the 35mm reissue print of 2001?
Reason for my question is that I heard that the SDDS tracks on those prints are somewhat misprinted - if those were okay we could just play the 8 channel SDDS.
But I would feel a lot better if we could run it with the DTS discs that are around for the „old“ new (2001 and later) 2001 prints.

Input would be highly appreciated!

PS: I‘ve also posted this an old thread in another Subforum that is not displayed in the list of „recent threads / posts“ so please forgive me that I reposted this in a new thread. If any moderator feels that this topic should be discussed in an existing thread please feel free to move my post there...

|  IP: Logged

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 06-14-2018 09:18 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What determines it is the movie number. In the DTS code is the movie number and that has to match the discs. So if the 35 and 70mm versions use the same number, then yes, they should work.

Typically, the answer is yes.

Mitchell Dvoskin
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 06-16-2018 03:24 PM      Profile for Mitchell Dvoskin   Email Mitchell Dvoskin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Uninformed question. Did 2001 or any other single panel 70mm Cinerama films actually use the Todd-AO sound configuration, or was it the old Cinerama sound configuration, or just the regular 70mm 6 track configuration? The IMDB is not a reliable source for questions such as this.

Steve Guttag

- posted 06-16-2018 08:57 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
5-screen, 1 surround is the only configuration for 2001 or other "Todd Ao" films (e.g. Logan's Run") during initial releases. There was a version of 2001 that had a bastard 5.1 mix in 70mm but it wasn't format 43, they laid it down like a dubber on 6-track so LC/RC were Ls/Rs and S was Sub...very dangerous thing to do because you will blow your surrounds up with that print. I have no idea if any survive.

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 06-17-2018 01:04 AM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Blowing up surrounds. That reminds me of when our Carmike 8 theater (now closed) here in Lawton finally started getting DTS discs with movie prints. The system wasn't installed correctly; the surround channels were somehow getting sub-bass audio. The speaker drivers were hammering forward hard enough on the speaker grilles to create a "brrappp!" sound effect on loud parts of a movie audio mix. Braveheart was the first movie there to show off the problem. The movie Seven just made it seem like the sound system was going to destroy itself, or at least all the surround speakers. I was raising hell about it as a concerned movie fan, but I don't think I was the only one sounding alarms. Carmike finally sent a tech to correct all the stupid problems that were created when the place first opened late in 1994. After the "re-tune" job the two THX houses sounded great.

David Kornfeld
Film Handler

- posted 06-17-2018 09:05 PM      Profile for David Kornfeld   Email David Kornfeld   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Actually, I believe there was a separate, slightly different mix for the Cinerama theatres. I saw a few prints with a label on them marking them so.

Jean-Pierre Gutzeit
Film Handler

- posted 06-18-2018 05:30 PM      Profile for Jean-Pierre Gutzeit   Author's Homepage   Email Jean-Pierre Gutzeit   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There don't exist any "Cinerama" versions of 2001: A SPACE ODYSSEY. Only the normal Todd-AO standard of the 60s.

Sascha F. Roll
Expert Film Handler

- posted 06-18-2018 11:36 PM      Profile for Sascha F. Roll   Email Sascha F. Roll   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Update: I received the discs (both 5.1 and SV) and will test it within the next weeks.

David Kornfeld
Film Handler

- posted 06-20-2018 04:38 PM      Profile for David Kornfeld   Email David Kornfeld   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Jean-Pierre Gutzeit
There don't exist any "Cinerama" versions of 2001: A SPACE ODYSSEY. Only the normal Todd-AO standard of the 60s.
Wow! I cant tell you how thrilled I am to be enlightened! You sound so sure, so positive, so definitive: it would never enter my mind to doubt you in the tiniest way, because there couldnt possibly exist any evidence that might contradict you! Oh, wait....

-

Thats the leader of an original 1968 print.

Heres a piece of well-meant, though unasked-for advice, Herr Gutzeit: tread lightly. Film technical history is a bottomless pit: I dont know it all, all my friends who are super-techs would be the first to admit they dont know it all, & you dont know it all. And even if you know a great deal, there will always be someone who knows more. Always. Thats a given. So, unless you are absolutely lock-tight certain that theres nothing out there that would prove you wrong, qualify your statements. It's safer, it prevents the spread of misinformation, & you dont feel like a dummkopf when someone more knowledgeable corrects you, & that will inevitably happen. It's a big world out there.

Now, I heard from two New York former Cinerama projectionists, working a former Cinerama booth, that there were slight differences in the 2001 mix from the Cinerama version to the general release version, & I heard the same thing from one former Boston Cinerama projectionist, & one other projectionist who heard from a different Cinerama projectionist. I had no reason to doubt their veracity, but because I'm careful & I dont know for certain, I tempered my response by saying "I believe," meaning, it may exist, it may not. I'm not sure. Are you? Are you really, really sure?

Also take into consideration the fact that there are now six different 70mm mixes for 2001 in existence -- not even counting the (at least) two 35 versions, & the VHS/laserdisc/DVD/BluRay versions -- and it doesnt seem too far-fetched to believe that there may possibly have existed a seventh version made exclusively for Cinerama theatres. Some pretty impressive showmanship was going on in those days.

But, as I said, I dont know for certain. So I tread lightly. That way, no one will think ill of me when I do err, & I wont lose anyone's respect by coming across as an arrogant know-it-all while being repeatedly proven incorrect.

And we wouldnt want that to happen, would we, mein Herr?

Sean Weitzel
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 06-20-2018 07:29 PM      Profile for Sean Weitzel   Email Sean Weitzel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I prefer to become enlightened on a particular subject than to be proven wrong should I speak out on something so I tend to not speak out too much. Finding out new things I never knew about (Cinerama mix) just amazes me.

Steve Guttag

- posted 06-20-2018 07:37 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So David...what WERE the differences in this Cinerama mix? What was Cinerama about the mix? Cinerama, something I've never personally shown, was 7-channel yet even your print with the Cinerama label only has the normal composite 6-tracks so one would presume it is a different mix. But how different and where would the differences be?

Having different mixes for different release versions is believable given that even a movie like Star Wars, less than 10 years later also had numerous mixes to it in the first run that were not mere mixdowns.

Did the Cinerama prints get a different "cut" of the movie more so than a different mix? Stanley Kubrick was notorious for re-cutting movies after they premiered. So I could believe the Cinerama prints were the first cut of it.

Robert Harris
Film Handler

- posted 06-25-2018 05:05 AM      Profile for Robert Harris   Email Robert Harris   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I’m unaware of a specific Cinerama “cut.” The OCN was re-cut to the version of the film that we now know, very early on, with many deletions, plus additions. That occurred early in April, around the 8th to 11th.

I was told, that aside from all of the various mixes based upon the original, that the film was 4-track, with the exception of the last reel, which was standard 6-track. I presume that original prints were produced from a modified, 6-track print master, but earlier films, such as El Aurens, had been recorded directly from the 4-track.

I’ve personally never seen any optically modified prints, specifically produced for highly curved screens, as had been created for early Todd-AO, although there are stranger things in heaven & earth.

Michael Coate
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 08-21-2018 10:11 AM      Profile for Michael Coate   Email Michael Coate   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: David Kornfeld
I believe there was a separate, slightly different mix for the Cinerama theatres. I saw a few prints with a label on them marking them so.
quote: Jean-Pierre Gutzeit
Heres a piece of well-meant, though unasked-for advice, Herr Gutzeit....
Don't feel bad, Jean-Pierre, you're not the first person Mr. Kornfeld has lashed out at or condescendingly lectured over a tech detail. Kornfeld once served up a thirty(!) paragraph missive directed at me because of a disagreement over an aspect ratio detail. (Infuriatingly, had Kornfeld simply acknowledged the SMPTE projection spec he would've grasped my point.)

Anyway.... Why must the alleged differences in some prints of "2001" be related to the audio? Maybe it is, but... why can't it be pictorial-related? Why can't the "Cinerama" notation on the leader be in reference to the format billing that was tailored for the end credits of each print (and promotional material) based upon the venue to which the print was destined ("Cinerama," "D-150," "Vistarama," unbranded "70mm," no format credit on 35mm prints, etc)?

Or, could it be nothing more than someone's confusion/mistaken recollection about the cuts Kubrick famously made to the film, mistakenly thinking they were made as the film was transitioning out of roadshow and into general release? (The cuts were, in fact, made only a few days after the premiere.)

Paul Linfesty
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 08-22-2018 01:43 AM      Profile for Paul Linfesty   Email Paul Linfesty   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
How many reels did 2001: a Space Odyssey have? If it had 10 reels (which I suspect it had), and this is reel number 10, then, as Michael Coate suggested, it may refer only to the Cinerama credit. It would have been more telling if any of the other leaders showed Cinerama or not. When I saw a (relatively) recent print of 2001 back in 1991 at the AMC Century 14 (a Sunday morning show only), the entire print had a few scratches, but the color was deeply rich and practically grain free, unlike the prints that followed for the 199902000 re-issue...EXCEPT for the final reel 9only about a couple of minutes of actual image followed by the credits). THAT reel was badly faded to red, and it was the first time I saw the film with an "in 70mm" logo where the Cinerama logo had gone before when I saw it at the Dome in 1977. he quality was quite jarring, and I wonder why it was, unless it was not to be shown with the Cinerama logo. All subsequent 70mm showings of 2001 that I saw at the Cinerama credit.

Marcel Birgelen
Film God

- posted 08-22-2018 02:43 AM      Profile for Marcel Birgelen   Email Marcel Birgelen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Wow! I cant tell you how thrilled I am to be enlightened! You sound so sure, so positive, so definitive: it would never enter my mind to doubt you in the tiniest way, because there couldnt possibly exist any evidence that might contradict you! Oh, wait....
Why not just go into the discussion without all those very personal insults? It also seems to be very important to stress his most likely German heritage. Accusations like "arrogance" feel very "projective" this way...

quote: Paul Linfesty
How many reels did 2001: a Space Odyssey have? If it had 10 reels (which I suspect it had), and this is reel number 10, then, as Michael Coate suggested, it may refer only to the Cinerama credit.
There is very little evidence for a different Cinerama edit and there are indeed 10 reels. This is the last one. Chances are that it's just the credits that are different.

But given the amount of personal involvement of Stanley Kubrick and that the movie got an essential different "final cut" just a few days after it's initial release, I'd say never say never...

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: