Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Nice 35mm Dolby SR sound Pre. SRD/DTS/SDDS (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: Nice 35mm Dolby SR sound Pre. SRD/DTS/SDDS
Jerry Axelsson
Expert Film Handler

- posted 06-04-2018 11:29 AM      Profile for Jerry Axelsson   Email Jerry Axelsson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I gave a reel of DAYS OF THUNDER a spin some time ago.
The Dolby SR track was quite nice. Was lacking a bit in the deepest bass section, but otherwise quite crisp and full.

Do you have any thoughts or tips of great sounding SR tracks pre 35mm Digital sound. (CDS not counted)?

Any thoughts of what you like and why would be interesting to hear. I bet the 70mm SR tracks of DAYS OF THUNDER was not lacking in the bass section...

|  IP: Logged

Sascha F. Roll
Expert Film Handler

- posted 06-04-2018 01:28 PM      Profile for Sascha F. Roll   Email Sascha F. Roll   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Jerry,

TERMINATOR II in Dolby SR comes to my mind, stunning soundtrack.
Batman returns in Dolby A also sounds PRETTY good.

I recently tested reel 1 of "007 - LICENSE TO KILL" in Dolby SR and was very surprised to hear the Title Track in great quality, very dynamic, nice HF and nice bass response.

Jerry Axelsson
Expert Film Handler

- posted 06-06-2018 03:53 PM      Profile for Jerry Axelsson   Email Jerry Axelsson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello Sascha,

Thank you for your tips.
I have only seen the two films you mention in the original release year at my local cinema which at the time had a Dolby CP-50 with (Dolby A only). My memory of these films is that they sounded nice even played back in Dolby 04. But that was like +27 years ago.

Any more tips out there?

Mitchell Dvoskin
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 06-06-2018 04:06 PM      Profile for Mitchell Dvoskin   Email Mitchell Dvoskin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The original release prints of Terminator 2 were Dolby A, and sounded outstanding. SR was not yet in existence. Other great sounding Dolby A films (original release) were Edward Scissorhand and Lion King (I believe SR prints were also struck).

My favorite early SR film for sound quality was Twister.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 06-06-2018 04:47 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
There were SR 35mm prints of Terminator 2.

Lion King had SRD prints struck.

Every print of Twister was quad format (meaning DTS/SRD/SDDS/SR analog).

Mitchell Dvoskin
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 06-06-2018 05:23 PM      Profile for Mitchell Dvoskin   Email Mitchell Dvoskin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
> There were SR 35mm prints of Terminator 2.

I did not know that. Thanks for the heads up.

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 06-06-2018 08:38 PM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Jerry Axelsson
Do you have any thoughts or tips of great sounding SR tracks pre 35mm Digital sound. (CDS not counted)?
I was fairly impressed with the Dolby SR track on Thelma and Louise. I watched it at the Loews Village Theatre VII, which had just opened. It had the first THX certified screen in Manhattan. They played the Cimarron trailer (my favorite THX trailer) and a Dolby SR trailer too. Dances With Wolves was another early 35mm Dolby SR show I thought sounded pretty good in the theater (the Loews Paramount).

Once the 35mm digital sound formats took hold, with Jurassic Park being the one that blew the doors wide open on it, great sounding 35mm Dolby SR became a lesser priority. I had been kind of impressed with how 35mm Dolby SR sounded, but got quickly spoiled to digital sound in association with 35mm prints. I was blown away by the Jurassic Park shows at the GCC Northpark 1-2 in Dallas. I had never experienced quality movie theater sound in such a big auditorium -with dynamics that could literally pound the air in my chest. I must have watched that movie there at least half a dozen times in 1993.

quote: Jerry Axelsson
Any thoughts of what you like and why would be interesting to hear. I bet the 70mm SR tracks of DAYS OF THUNDER was not lacking in the bass section...
Were the 70mm prints of Days of Thunder in Dolby SR? Or did Paramount have dual inventories of A-type and SR-type 70mm prints? The ads for Days of Thunder in New York City didn't mention Dolby SR for any of the 70mm shows. I watched the movie near the end of its run at the Ziegfeld. If the 70mm print was A-type the show still sounded very good. I think Flatliners replaced it (also in 70mm).

quote: Mitchell Dvoskin
The original release prints of Terminator 2 were Dolby A, and sounded outstanding. SR was not yet in existence.
You might be getting the release date of The Terminator (1984) and Terminator 2: Judgment Day (1991) confused.

Star Trek IV: The Voyage Home (1986) was the first movie to use Dolby SR (on 70mm prints at a couple of Los Angeles locations). IIRC, Robocop (1987) was the first to use Dolby SR optical on 35mm release prints. I watched that movie at the Loews 34th Street East theater. I'm pretty sure that was a 35mm Dolby SR show. It didn't sound quite as good as magnetic audio on 70mm, but it was definitely better than the typical optical (often mono) sound I associated with most 35mm shows. Great movie. I sat through it twice during that trip to the theater.

quote: Brad Miller
Lion King had SRD prints struck.
I can't remember where I read the technical detail, but Disney had two inventories of Dolby Digital prints of The Lion King. Some of the prints had optical tracks with A-type noise reduction while others had SR-type. Normally the whole "SR•D" thing was supposed to mean the print would have SR-type analog and digital audio on the same print. Some of The Lion King prints were really in "A•D" format.
[Razz]

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 06-06-2018 09:59 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Bobby, there were Dolby A optical (no digital) prints and Dolby SR optical with SRD digital track prints on Lion King. Not many of the SRD ones though, as there was only one printer at Technicolor that could print SRD at the time.

Florian Kuik
Film Handler

- posted 06-07-2018 04:14 AM      Profile for Florian Kuik   Email Florian Kuik   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The prints of terminator 2 Dolby SR where also on polyester stock for what i've seen. They sound great, but most of them where dolby A because of sound issues i heard.

Sascha F. Roll
Expert Film Handler

- posted 06-07-2018 10:56 AM      Profile for Sascha F. Roll   Email Sascha F. Roll   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The german prints of TERMINATOR II were Dolby SR only and on Acetate Stock (Agfa Gevaert).

David Stambaugh
Film God

- posted 06-07-2018 11:24 AM      Profile for David Stambaugh   Author's Homepage   Email David Stambaugh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I saw U2: Rattle and Hum in optical SR. I think it was a THX screen too. It sounded pretty impressive.

Victor Liorentas
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 06-07-2018 11:41 AM      Profile for Victor Liorentas   Email Victor Liorentas   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have a lab fresh Dolby SR 35mm print of Remains Of The Day which sounds very smooth and dynamic.
Interesting thing is the Dolby Digital track on it reads great but is silent.No audio at all. Must have been when they were testing the system.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 06-07-2018 02:13 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Florian - what makes you think T2 was on polyester stock? Have you personally handled one and know for a fact it was? I would be shocked to hear that unless maybe the print you handled in the Netherlands was dubbed and printed on some non-Kodak stock at a lab in your part of the world.

The Russian dubbed prints of T2 are on Agfa and fading horribly. (Plus they would have the dubbed track.)

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 06-07-2018 02:39 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Going back to Summer of 1980 here:

Villa Theatre in SLC, UTAH

This venue opened up "Xanadu" and friend and I went to this theatre (I was a Mann Theatre employee at the time. Thus, being the Villa was also Mann, I knew the projectionists there..)

The sound was incredible for a 4 channel, Dolby A setup. The local tech for Mann in that city, fine tuned the house for Dolby Optical and did a fantastic job in his trade.

Location was still a changeover house. Thus, the two machines were in total sync where you couldn't sense the changeovers.

On a business note: Xanadu was a total flop for Universal, yet, with just the sound alone, the film made good money for Universal that summer at the Villa.
Film ran for six weeks at this venue.

-Monte

Stephan Shelley
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 06-07-2018 03:01 PM      Profile for Stephan Shelley   Email Stephan Shelley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There were 70mm prints of Day of Thunder that had the early ORC/Kodak digital system. The Cinema in Corte Medera CA got a week run out of it before the sound died. They decided it was time to run the print through the film cleaner and that was the end to the digital sound. The print was sent back and stripped with mag sound.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: