Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Mystery Crackle in Analog Track (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Mystery Crackle in Analog Track
Martin McCaffery
Film God

- posted 04-23-2018 04:51 PM      Profile for Martin McCaffery   Author's Homepage   Email Martin McCaffery   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Testing a 35mm, analog track print today.
Haven't done 35mm in months.

Reel 1 on projector 1 sounds fine.
Reel 2 on projector 2 has a crackle that almost overwhelms the dialog. Sounds like someone crumbling cellophane into a microphone.

Put Reel 2 on Projector 1 and the crackle follows.
Reel 3 on Projector 2, some crackle, only really audible in the quiet scenes.

Print is in good shape. No splices. I check the track very closely and see no emulsion or base scratches. Look at it under a magnifying glass and there are little dots in the track emulsion, but I'm never looked that closely for a problem before,so have no idea if that is normal, or if they are big enough to cause noise.

Any ideas as to what caused this? Thinking of trying some film guard, maybe it will darken the dots enough to help. If I have time tomorrow, will check the other reels.

|  IP: Logged

Mitchell Dvoskin
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 04-23-2018 05:02 PM      Profile for Mitchell Dvoskin   Email Mitchell Dvoskin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
> under a magnifying glass and there are little dots in the track emulsion

I have seen this before. That is indeed the problem. It will probably get worse as the print ages. I am not sure if this is caused by improper processing or later damage, but I do not believe Film Guard will help.

Are you using a red reader, or an exciter lamp?

Martin McCaffery
Film God

- posted 04-23-2018 05:51 PM      Profile for Martin McCaffery   Author's Homepage   Email Martin McCaffery   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Red reader.

Paul Shuttleworth
Film Handler

- posted 04-24-2018 06:23 AM      Profile for Paul Shuttleworth   Email Paul Shuttleworth   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Have you tried Reel 1 on Projector 2?

Richard P. May
Expert Film Handler

- posted 04-24-2018 10:03 AM      Profile for Richard P. May   Email Richard P. May   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This has occurred occasionally with archival prints having conventional optical tracks. It seems that sometimes aging causes almost microscopic dots on the track, which reproduce as the described crackle. If you run into this, report it to the distributor. Nothing can be done except to replace the print.

Martin McCaffery
Film God

- posted 04-24-2018 11:05 AM      Profile for Martin McCaffery   Author's Homepage   Email Martin McCaffery   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Paul: Tried Reel 1 on Projectors 2. The first five or so minutes is clean, then the sound gets more like Reel 3. Light crackle and a regularly repeating "shush shush" like paper being torn instead of crumbled.

Richard: I reported it yesterday. They said they haven't had any complaints, but didn't say how long ago it was last run. We're already going to lose money on this, so even if they have another print, it's not worth it at this point. Ironically (or annoyingly) this is the film where the rights holder wouldn't let us show the 4k restoration because we only have 2k.
[Mad]

BTW: mono track,bilateral area, slight fading, very little dirt.

Just to be sure, I also tried Reel 6 on both projectors, has the shush sound. The dead leader at the end of the reels has no crackle or shush.

Ran some optical loops. No problem. Ran a reel of cyan track trailers. Nothing. It's gotta be the film.

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 04-24-2018 01:32 PM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Would it help to slightly de-focus the sound lens?

Martin McCaffery
Film God

- posted 04-24-2018 01:59 PM      Profile for Martin McCaffery   Author's Homepage   Email Martin McCaffery   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The sound is bad enough, I think it would just make it worse. I've ordered the bluRay. The show must go on, and all of that.

Donald Brown
Expert Film Handler

- posted 04-24-2018 05:11 PM      Profile for Donald Brown   Email Donald Brown   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A number of years ago, I had what may have been a similar issue with several reels of a print. There were bubbles in the emulsion which appeared on screen as if they were snow. What I believe had occurred was that the print absorbed humidity, and the heat at the aperture boiled the moisture and lifted the emulsion as it passed through the gate. Although the lamp was equipped with an IR filter and the head was water cooled, several reels of the print had absorbed an inordinate amount of moisture while threaded off of a 6,000' reel prior to the start of the show. On screen, the result appeared as white dots or small circles in the center of the picture.
To prevent further lifting, I backed the lamp focus off slightly, and the snow effect immediately disappeared, although the print remained laden with moisture until the relative humidity of the atmosphere dropped.
I would be very curious to know if moisture caused your issue as well.
After 35mm print services were transferred from Technicolor to the domain of FotoKem, moisture absorption became a more noticeable problem. One can only assume that this was a byproduct of cost cutting measures associated with processing.

Paul H. Rayton
Expert Film Handler

- posted 04-24-2018 10:06 PM      Profile for Paul H. Rayton     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We have also occasionally encountered this problem with prints of "a certain age". For example, we had a print from WB of the 1975 show, "The Man Who Would Be King" back in about 2007 with the same problem. The print stock was dated in the late '90s, which is consistent with the others that have exhibited the same issue. (I have a photo of the troublesome track, but for some reason this computer is being refused permission to load the photo here; will see if I can get someone to do it for me.) In our case, the print was (as was your experience with your show) deemed too noisy to run. BTW: Could you please tell us what show (and print number) it was in which you were experiencing this problem? Might save some of us some troubles down the line if the distrib. "forgets" to retire the print and it gets sent out again. Thanks!

Martin McCaffery
Film God

- posted 04-25-2018 11:10 AM      Profile for Martin McCaffery   Author's Homepage   Email Martin McCaffery   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Added it to the Feature Info Forum.

Martin McCaffery
Film God

- posted 04-28-2018 08:57 AM      Profile for Martin McCaffery   Author's Homepage   Email Martin McCaffery   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Postscript: Turns out the distributor does not allow blu ray presentations of their features. But they did send a new print. That print was in very good condition AND the sound was good. The show went on. What audience there was was entertained.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 04-28-2018 01:14 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
This is how the dots look when projected with the aperture removed. The dots are not on the image area, only the optical soundtrack area and they do get worse with time on these prints.

(Ignore the keystone here, I was taking a photo from the front row looking upward at the screen.)

-

Martin McCaffery
Film God

- posted 04-28-2018 07:51 PM      Profile for Martin McCaffery   Author's Homepage   Email Martin McCaffery   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yup, that's them.

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 04-29-2018 09:28 AM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Processing splatter
that is a silver based track that requires a second processing and the applicator sometimes splatters that area

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: