Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Replacing DTS-XD10 power supply

Author Topic: Replacing DTS-XD10 power supply
Christopher Woollard
Film Handler

- posted 04-09-2018 07:06 AM      Profile for Christopher Woollard   Email Christopher Woollard   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The power supply module inside my XD10 has failed. This is a fully enclosed power supply unit (not the same as a later XD10P) and I have no circuit diagram, but seems very similar to a PC power supply though with lots of output power circuits.
Here in the UK it worked fine until today. Measures zero volts although a small green light on the mother board does flash but is very dim on switch on.
Has anyone successfully replaced one of these?
p.s. the motherboard caps look fine. Really need a working unit for 70mm
Any advise welcome.

|  IP: Logged

Ken Lackner
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 04-09-2018 08:22 AM      Profile for Ken Lackner   Email Ken Lackner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's been a while since I've touched one of those, but it should be a standard ATX computer power supply. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 04-09-2018 08:25 AM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The xd10p uses the same powersupply as the USL JSD80

Kieran Hall
Film Handler

- posted 04-09-2018 08:27 AM      Profile for Kieran Hall   Author's Homepage   Email Kieran Hall   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, the XD10 just uses a standard PC power supply with T-Tap connectors spliced into the green power-on and black ground wires of the ATX connector.

The only slight caveat is if you have one of the older Pentium III-era units with the AOpen motherboard, the CPU will draw most of its power from the 5V rail. Almost all new PSUs will be designed for newer CPUs that draw 12V and so will put most of its rated power out as 12V, so you'll need to check this.

Was the PSU connected to the motherboard when you measured the 0v? When ours showed similar behaviour with the brief flash, the PSU would turn on with no load. It turned out that the motherboard was shorting and making the PSU shut itself off, so we ended up having to replace it.

Carsten Kurz
Film God

- posted 04-09-2018 08:32 AM      Profile for Carsten Kurz   Email Carsten Kurz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The product names are a bit confusing - while the XD10 is a DTS PLAYER, the XD10P is a cinema sound processor (an OEM USL JSD80).
The XD10, as the DTS-6/6D, etc is based on PC hardware, so a more or less standard PC power supply would be obvious.
Not so for the XD10P.

- Carsten

Christopher Woollard
Film Handler

- posted 04-09-2018 08:39 AM      Profile for Christopher Woollard   Email Christopher Woollard   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The motherboard was connected when I measured. It certainly looks like a standard old PC power supply which is cheap to replace. When I fully dismantle I will investigate shorted caps on the motherboard. If the motherboard is completely gone the unit will not be repairable but just caps are easy. Thank you.

Kieran Hall
Film Handler

- posted 04-09-2018 09:15 AM      Profile for Kieran Hall   Author's Homepage   Email Kieran Hall   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You may be able to replace the motherboard with an off-the-shelf one if need be.

We've done a fair bit of looking into this so I should probably write up and post details about what we've found will work at some point. We've just bought a Gigabyte GA-945GCMX-S2 to resurrect our spare unit and it seems to be working well -- we just have the power piggy-back board to connect up.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 04-09-2018 12:06 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Christopher Woollard
the motherboard caps look fine.
Hopefuly they are... I can't tell you how many XD-10 motherboards I have recapped, well over 50 of them. The earlier board caps all fail... I used to do them right in the booth.

Mark

Christopher Woollard
Film Handler

- posted 04-09-2018 12:11 PM      Profile for Christopher Woollard   Email Christopher Woollard   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sounds like the caps should be replaced anyway, the unit is from 2006. That means removing the motherboard desoldering and replacing, cap value should then be visible as I have no circuit diagram. What are the supect caps?

Harold Hallikainen
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 04-09-2018 02:26 PM      Profile for Harold Hallikainen   Author's Homepage   Email Harold Hallikainen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Are these ceramic or electrolytic capacitors? I believe electrolytics have a definite life span, but ceramics SHOULD last forever. I have seen cases, however, where there was a bad run of ceramics. These all failed pretty quickly.

I'd be tempted to see if this works with a new power supply. If so, perhaps replace old electrolytics, but leave the ceramics. Have others found ceramics "age out?"

Harold

Carsten Kurz
Film God

- posted 04-09-2018 04:33 PM      Profile for Carsten Kurz   Email Carsten Kurz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Capacitor_plague

It's rather typical so see many electrolytic caps fail on mainboards, switching supplies, etc. manufactured in that period.

- Carsten

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 04-11-2018 11:25 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The A-Open motherboards were the MOST troublesome and I posted many pictures on a thread here a number of years ago of re-capping those boards. i can not find that thred now... ALL of the A-Open boards will eventually fail and the caps will have leakage or be swolen. The later motherboard version was a bit more reliable, but I have had those capacitors also fail. The A-Open suffers from Capacitor Plague, and the later board may suffer to some extent. Yes, they are all alumnium electrolytics. Almost every major manufacturer has had issues with capacitor plague.
Capacitoritus

quote: Carsten Kurz
It's rather typical so see many electrolytic caps fail on mainboards, switching supplies, etc. manufactured in that period.
Its still happening today Carsten! Dolbly CP-750 supplies are dropping like flies... So do certain CP-650 supplies. If a manufacturer buys inferior capacitors, or his supplier has shipped them unknowingly to him then it's highly likely to happen sooner than later.

Mark

Carsten Kurz
Film God

- posted 04-11-2018 11:30 AM      Profile for Carsten Kurz   Email Carsten Kurz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think the CP750 do mostly not fail on caps, but a varistor protection device early on after the mains entry.

- Carsten

Christopher Woollard
Film Handler

- posted 05-03-2018 11:20 AM      Profile for Christopher Woollard   Email Christopher Woollard   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Processor all fixed. A blown power supply, recycled one from an old PC.

Florian Kuik
Film Handler

- posted 06-07-2018 05:41 AM      Profile for Florian Kuik   Email Florian Kuik   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The later models use a small circuit instead of the short wire on the power suplly. It is replaceable with a ATX power suply. The DELTA supllys on dell servers will do very good.

We've developed also a replacement kit for the mainboard, my machine now uses a SATA SSD and a recent and stable mainboard. S775 c2d instead of the old P3. Newer is not possible, due to the m-atc pci requirements.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: