Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » sorry need help on oil...v5

Author Topic: sorry need help on oil...v5
Neil Spreadbury
Film Handler

- posted 03-22-2018 02:08 PM      Profile for Neil Spreadbury   Email Neil Spreadbury   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
hi all need help with type of oil for my v5 please.
did see it on here last week now cant find it.

thank for your time.

Neil.

|  IP: Logged

Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 03-22-2018 11:44 PM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The first chief I ever worked for, in 1989, was absolutely adamant that automatic transmission fluid was as good if not better than Cinemeccanica-approved cross box oil; and that's what he used.

When I eventually got to the point of making maintenance decisions myself I played it safe and went with the approved stuff (in the UK, Sound Associates used to sell it - dunno if they still do), though.

Kieran Hall
Film Handler

- posted 03-23-2018 06:17 AM      Profile for Kieran Hall   Author's Homepage   Email Kieran Hall   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The oil for our Vic 8s came from Jack Roe. I've no idea if they still sell it, though, as their website seems to be down (cinemasupplies.co.uk when it hopefully comes back).

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 03-23-2018 10:07 AM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
when the vic 8 was intorduced it was supplied with a red transmission fluid but later cinemecanica switched to a oil the last i heard SAE20 non detergent was fine in them

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 03-23-2018 05:04 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Leo Enticknap
The first chief I ever worked for, in 1989, was absolutely adamant that automatic transmission fluid was as good if not better than Cinemeccanica-approved cross box oil; and that's what he used.
LOL! The last Cinema Supplier I worked for swore up and down that ATF was the best thing to use in Ballantyne Pro 35's. Well, as it turns out the seals and o-rings in those peojectors DO NOT LIKE IT! Every single Pro-35 started leaking in a big way and we eventually had to pull them out and replace as we had newer Christies from doing digital conversions. Sure, I could have replaced seals and O-rings in them, but it's a big job, kind of expensive, and those peojectors suck anyway. The Cine-X35's ran perfectly trouble free once they were reinstalled.

The moral of the story is... Don't put ATF in your projector if there are rubber parts.

Mark

Garry Knapp
Film Handler

- posted 03-25-2018 06:48 AM      Profile for Garry Knapp   Author's Homepage   Email Garry Knapp   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I purchased a 1/2 gal bottle of Champion brand intermittent oil from Ebay.
I was assured it would work on my Vic5. So far, no problems at all.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: