Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » need some help please V5

Author Topic: need some help please V5
Neil Spreadbury
Film Handler

- posted 03-17-2018 07:53 AM      Profile for Neil Spreadbury   Email Neil Spreadbury   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
hello all new here.
I have just got this and the wiring is very hacked about.
I stared renewing now getting some what lost inside.
I add pics of v5. has anyone got any wiring diagrams for first pic. also have this film scanner pic2 I have looked on here and on the internet, not getting on very well now.

I apologise for my poor grammar never had a good school life.

-

-

-

-
I be so grateful for any help please. thanks for your time.

|  IP: Logged

Allan Lyman
Film Handler

- posted 03-18-2018 04:33 AM      Profile for Allan Lyman   Email Allan Lyman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think I have one I can scan.PM me

alan

Neil Spreadbury
Film Handler

- posted 03-18-2018 05:18 AM      Profile for Neil Spreadbury   Email Neil Spreadbury   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
thanks alan pm sent.

Neil Spreadbury
Film Handler

- posted 03-19-2018 05:26 AM      Profile for Neil Spreadbury   Email Neil Spreadbury   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
one very big thank you to Allan Lyman for the diagram for my v5.
made my day cheers.

Steve Roberts
Film Handler

- posted 03-19-2018 11:17 AM      Profile for Steve Roberts   Email Steve Roberts   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Having been a projectionist and cinema engineer for over 50 years in the UK my suggestion is to buy a projector that is driven by gears and not a toothed belt as you will find it becomes a money pit.
You can by Westrar/Century projectors for £200 or less on ebay.

Steve

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 03-19-2018 01:42 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Steve Roberts
Having been a projectionist and cinema engineer for over 50 years in the UK my suggestion is to buy a projector that is driven by gears and not a toothed belt as you will find it becomes a money pit.
I both agree and disagree. The typical toothed belt machine not only sufffers pulley wear necessating replacement of many pulleeys, but the belts have a shorter and shorter life as the machine and pulleys get older.

However Christie actually perfected belt drive projectors during the last two years of Film Projector production. They also went through Hell with high wear square tooth pulleys and belts for way too long. They completely switched over to metric round tooth belts and pulleys on all models. I had belts go for 8 years on Cine-X35's and finally changed them just because I was getting nervous and it was a ten plex! And on the P-35GP's once you installed the $90 USD round tooth belt and pulley kit it was literally the last time you'd ever be servicing that machine and you could use the basement SRD reader for the first time ever because it also tamed the high flutter these sound reproducers exhibited with the square tooth belts.

He may get some use out of this Vic-5 at home because it will be used lightly. But he ought to keep a spare set of belts at hand.

Mark

Neil Spreadbury
Film Handler

- posted 03-19-2018 02:54 PM      Profile for Neil Spreadbury   Email Neil Spreadbury   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
thank you all I am over enjoyed with the response of the forum.
my grammar is not good due to a bad school life.
but you all here has made me so welcome.
I never had this on other forums. just took (sorry)..the piss out of me for my grammar. yes I maybe 45 yrs old but you don't know I you have made me feel.
oh by the way I have new belts on stand by...and new belts on my v5 all ready....
but thank you all for your advice and support.
happy days to all.....

Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 03-19-2018 03:35 PM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The thing it's important to remember about the Vic 5 is that it was specifically designed for use in Cinema Paradiso type places, where ease of maintenance, and the ability to be maintained by someone without advanced technical skills, was important. Yes, belt-driven mechanisms do have their disadvantages, but one big plus with the Vic 5 is that pretty much anything that can go wrong with it mechanically can be fixed by a competent projectionist and the right parts. About the only thing that can't is a really bad platter wrap that whacks the photocell and buggers the A-chain. The mechanism can literally be stripped and rebuilt with a set of (metric, obviously!) Allen keys.

If I was having to pay for parts myself, didn't have decades of experience working on mechanical stuff and didn't have service contract backup from a good vendor, I'd much rather be faced with replacing the shutter gearbox on a Vic 5 than the vertical shaft on a DP70. As has been pointed out, Neil's machine is probably not going to be running 10 hours a day, seven days a week, and so the chances of wear-related problems are not high.

Jacob Pearson
Film Handler

- posted 03-19-2018 05:13 PM      Profile for Jacob Pearson   Email Jacob Pearson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello Neil. I'm guessing that you bought that the Victoria 5 from Tom (tiga-to)? I bought one from him last year. It's the same console type as yours. I haven't done much with mine yet as I have been enjoying another projector which I also bought from Tom. I hope to get working on the Victoria 5 soon.

What will you be using for the lamp? Will you be using a Xenon or converting the lamp house? Also you will want a Variable Frequency Drive for running the three phase motor on single phase at home.

It would be great if you keep me updated on how you get on with it and we can share knowledge.

Allan also helped me out with the circuit diagram - thanks again Allan.

Neil Spreadbury
Film Handler

- posted 03-19-2018 06:28 PM      Profile for Neil Spreadbury   Email Neil Spreadbury   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
who is tom ??? my v5 did not come from tom??
My lamp is 150w xenon.
inverter is a Mitsubishi very stable and with Variable Frequency.

Steve Roberts
Film Handler

- posted 03-20-2018 12:28 PM      Profile for Steve Roberts   Email Steve Roberts   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I these days I think it is most important to help new people who want to collect 35mm projectors and films for a hobby.
There are so many good old projectors which are facing the scrap man. Only recently I found out about a home installation that my farther help with in 1959 that has all gone to the scrap man including over 110,000ft of 35mm film.
In my experience for showing 35mm film I would have a Kalee 20 outfit, Westar on a Westrex 2002 sound head from 1949 or a Philips FP7 than any "modern" projector and for 70mm film for me there is only the DP70 EL4000 and I am very lucky to have 3.

If I can help in any way if you PM me I am happy to give you my number. You are always welcome to call here to see my set up.
Steve.

Neil Spreadbury
Film Handler

- posted 03-20-2018 12:45 PM      Profile for Neil Spreadbury   Email Neil Spreadbury   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I agree Steve I just love all old school projectors 8/16/35mm.
always on the look out cinema bits. way to much in skips now these days. I had two friends the run the cinema in my town.
spent many hour with them both. they was using arc carbon rods happy days I had, and miss them both and times in the booth.
cinema now gone its now a doctors surgery. [Frown]

Steve Roberts
Film Handler

- posted 03-20-2018 12:47 PM      Profile for Steve Roberts   Email Steve Roberts   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Are we talking about Tom in south London who is always selling technical film and video equipment on ebay? if it is the same Tom I have bought quit a lot from him in the past including 10 reels of 70mm film and a Peerless Hy Candescent arc lamp.

Steve

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 03-21-2018 09:01 AM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well we had many Vic 5 projectors in service almost from their date of inception and over all they gave good service and required little maintenance other than belts being replaced each year.
The shutter gear box gave us little issues if the machine was always started on a slow ramp up and down from a inverter. In fact after we converted all of them to inverter drive we never replaced another gear box
As to the issues of the sound getting wacked on a pile up into the scanner well that is a issue on every cinemecanica nad prevost machine or any machine with the split two bell type scanner drum.
It was not the best machine but was overall a trouble free workhorse

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: