Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Ready Player 1 in 5/70mm (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: Ready Player 1 in 5/70mm
Stephan Shelley
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 02-10-2018 02:54 PM      Profile for Stephan Shelley   Email Stephan Shelley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Looks like there will be 5/70mm prints of this title.

|  IP: Logged

Stephan Shelley
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 02-13-2018 10:55 PM      Profile for Stephan Shelley   Email Stephan Shelley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It is now confirmed at the Grand Lake in Oakland CA.

David J Hilsgen
Expert Film Handler

- posted 02-16-2018 02:28 AM      Profile for David J Hilsgen   Email David J Hilsgen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It is confirmed for Emagine Willow Creek in Plymouth,MN

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 02-16-2018 01:06 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Confirmed here:
Studio Movie Grill Royal [Dallas, TX]
Studio Movie Grill Arlington [Arlington, TX]

Chris Haller
Film Handler

- posted 02-16-2018 01:44 PM      Profile for Chris Haller   Email Chris Haller   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Interesting news. I guess this is the new norm for larger Warner Bros. titles - trying to keep those 70mm printers running for the next big release, I guess. A handful of prints every now and then.

I'd be interested to see what Ready Player One looks like printed from 4K DI to 5/70. I've been less than impressed with the digital projection of the trailer here at our local theaters in Rochester. The live action sequences are sharp with a touch of grain, but the VFX heavy Oasis sequences just seem kind of textureless and bland in contrast. It's too bad that I'll never get a chance to see it without an ambitious weekend trip involved!

Stephan Shelley
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 02-16-2018 07:09 PM      Profile for Stephan Shelley   Email Stephan Shelley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I hear it was shot in part on 65mm. I know with all the CGI it is going to come from a digital intermediary.

Allan Barnes
Expert Film Handler

- posted 02-17-2018 12:47 AM      Profile for Allan Barnes   Author's Homepage   Email Allan Barnes   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
70MM LIST YET? HOPING FOR MICHIGAN OR NEARBY

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 02-17-2018 11:36 AM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If the movie is funneled through a 2K or 4K digital intermediate then there is little benefit at all with shooting in 65mm. Perhaps if they carefully stored the film negatives and were willing to redo the CGI and DI at a later date in 8K or better then it might make sense. Hardly any movie or TV productions ever go back and remaster those assets. Star Trek: The Next Generation is the only show I can think of off hand where the SDTV effects were redone in HD. CGI and DI software changes so rapidly that a lot of movie effects and other assets would have to be regenerated from scratch. Unfortunately actors age (and die), which makes reshoots very difficult, presuming a studio would even spend money on that.

Jason Metcalfe
Expert Film Handler

- posted 02-19-2018 09:29 AM      Profile for Jason Metcalfe   Email Jason Metcalfe   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Heads up, we're hearing that it's going to be 2.39 in a 2.20 frame. We did get confirmation that the cue marks are going to be properly scribed in the picture area however

Julian Antos
Film Handler

- posted 02-19-2018 02:16 PM      Profile for Julian Antos   Email Julian Antos   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This will screen at the Music Box Theatre in Chicago for a three week run.

Allan Barnes
Expert Film Handler

- posted 02-19-2018 05:13 PM      Profile for Allan Barnes   Author's Homepage   Email Allan Barnes   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
ROAD TRIP to Chicago

Daniel Schulz
Master Film Handler

- posted 02-19-2018 06:45 PM      Profile for Daniel Schulz   Author's Homepage   Email Daniel Schulz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Bobby Henderson
If the movie is funneled through a 2K or 4K digital intermediate then there is little benefit at all with shooting in 65mm.
I disagree. The improvement in picture quality in going from 35mm or 65mm origination is visible, even with a DI--> film out, or even with digital projection.

Andrew Thomas
Master Film Handler

- posted 02-19-2018 08:08 PM      Profile for Andrew Thomas   Email Andrew Thomas   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Bobby Henderson
If the movie is funneled through a 2K or 4K digital intermediate then there is little benefit at all with shooting in 65mm.
There are reasons to shoot in 65mm over 35mm beyond resolution.

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 02-19-2018 10:17 PM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The 2K/4K DI step is a quality bottleneck that will not preserve all the image detail and color depth from a 65mm film negative. The DI as a final product may have the appearance of a sharper image due to the 65mm source, but that DI only has the pixels that it has.

Down-rezzing a 5/65mm source image to a 4K DI and then blowing it back up to 5/70mm seems a bit like down-rezzing a 1080p HD image to 480p SD and then up-rezzing that back to 1080p HD. Even with the best image enlargement tricks the up-rezzed image isn't going to compare well to the original 1080p HD image. A 70mm blow-up from a 4K source won't look equivalent to its 65mm original either.

I watched Kenneth Branagh's remake of Murder on the Orient Express a few weeks ago. If I hadn't known already I would not have guessed significant parts of that movie were shot on 5/65mm film (some parts were shot digitally using the Arri Alexa 65). That production's final product in post was a 4K DI. A great deal of digital backlot work was involved in that production. It didn't look like they rendered any of those digital assets any higher than 4K resolution. I kind of expect the same from Ready Player One. It still seems routine for Hollywood to churn out its CGI, digital backlot work and digital intermediates in 2K. That standard is so common that 100% 4K seems like a bonus.

I would have less of a problem with this 65mm-to-DI stuff if the movie studios and production companies would at least bother using some better standards than just ordinary 4K. There is a growing number of digital camera systems that support 6K and 8K resolutions, and on camera imaging chips larger than the usual tiny Super35 size.

Computing technology in 2018 is a hell of a lot more powerful than it was 10 years ago when MPI was producing the 8K DI of Baraka. Now that there is interest in showing movies via 70mm prints once again why are we not seeing any 8K DIs of these movies? I guess that might be a rhetorical question since cost, saving money and extending profit margin is likely the answer. Perhaps someone could use cryptocurrency miners as a new excuse for Hollywood's current lack of ground-breaking improvements in movie making. Graphics board prices have spiked due to people chasing imaginary fortunes in Bitcoin, Ethereum, Litecoin, etc. But I think that's a fad that's going to pass and companies like Nvidia and ATI will adjust to the demand.

Tyler Purcell
Expert Film Handler

- posted 02-20-2018 12:59 AM      Profile for Tyler Purcell   Author's Homepage   Email Tyler Purcell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There are A LOT of reasons why the studio's still use 2k as their base for VFX work. The main reason is that nobody knows the difference and it saves A LOT of rendering time. They've done A/B comparisons and the difference with a VFX shot is negligible. It's been proven time and time again, resolution of the medium on screen means very little, just look at the Super 16mm movies released in the last few years, they are at maximum a 2.5k medium and the movies still look crisp. The Phantom Thread on 70mm looked outstanding and that wasn't even a digital blow up.

Again, I'm happy Warner is putting in the effort and I'm very happy to have film projected on a regular basis so our theaters keep up to date. Who really cares if its 2k or 4k or 8k, it doesn't matter. What matters is the concept that it's shot on film and projected on film in order to keep filmmakers like myself relevant in the world of movie making on celluloid.

Ohh and Murder On the Orient was nearly 100% 5/65... I think they used the digital camera for a night shot or something very minor.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: