Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » DTS6AD Serial Control (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: DTS6AD Serial Control
Matt Close
Expert Film Handler

- posted 02-06-2018 07:22 PM      Profile for Matt Close   Author's Homepage   Email Matt Close   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Trying to add serial control to our faithful old DTS6AD. CPU version is current at 2.08
Upload/download dts program works fine so comms are good.
String I'm trying to send is just volume control:

V38<cr>

Has anyone had experience with controlling these units?

|  IP: Logged

Matt Close
Expert Film Handler

- posted 02-07-2018 06:03 PM      Profile for Matt Close   Author's Homepage   Email Matt Close   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Nobody?

Carsten Kurz
Film God

- posted 02-07-2018 07:03 PM      Profile for Carsten Kurz   Email Carsten Kurz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So far I didn't know this feature existed for the 6AD. Do you have any documents telling you remote control through RS232 is possible? All I know is that the RS232 was for config backup and restore, and only the RS422 ports were intended for remote control, but that feature never made it into the operating software. Long time ago, though...

- Carsten

Matt Close
Expert Film Handler

- posted 02-07-2018 08:35 PM      Profile for Matt Close   Author's Homepage   Email Matt Close   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, this document suggests it's possible.
http://www.film-tech.com/warehouse/manuals/TN-E374A.pdf

I've found other documentation around the web where another unit had 6AD compatible mode for control. It was supposed to be in from firmware 1.06 and above.

Carsten Kurz
Film God

- posted 02-07-2018 09:10 PM      Profile for Carsten Kurz   Email Carsten Kurz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So, did you try

X<CR> ?

Are you using this with a laptop or stationary computer? What kind of RS232 interface is used - a fixed port on the computer, or a USB-serial converter? The latter often have issues due to level variations against properly spec'd older equipment. The connection cable needs to be a nullmodem (crossed) cable - are you sure your's has the correct wiring? You say that the config up-/download works - is that using the same cable and computer you are trying to control volume with?

- Carsten

Matt Close
Expert Film Handler

- posted 02-07-2018 10:15 PM      Profile for Matt Close   Author's Homepage   Email Matt Close   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yep, didn't even bother with a USB adapter. Went right for an old PC set up with the correct port specs. Also definitely crossed over null modem cable. The up/down software works using the same cable and computer.

Carsten Kurz
Film God

- posted 02-08-2018 06:44 AM      Profile for Carsten Kurz   Email Carsten Kurz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Okay, so does it say anything with X<CR> ? When you have a terminal connected during boot-up of the AD, does anything readable appear on screen?

Unfortunately, regular status updates seem to be transmitted only through RS422, as these could help to diagnose the connection.

- Carsten

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 02-08-2018 10:52 AM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
the cr is often a issue and you may want to try 0D

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 02-08-2018 12:34 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Also what software are you using as a serial terminal program
also did the unit send back any response
You may want to try a straight through serial cable for control

Matt Close
Expert Film Handler

- posted 02-08-2018 06:53 PM      Profile for Matt Close   Author's Homepage   Email Matt Close   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Gordon. I've have already tried reversing the serial lead connections just for fun. I've also tried patching to the 422 ports. The 232 port give no response to any command, but I did come across a document somewhere that I think said it only gives responses through the 422 automation ports (Carsten might confirm) but will accept commands from the 232 port. I am using a nifty program called serial talk that simply sends out strings. Great for testing. I will play with the OD you suggested.

Carsten Kurz
Film God

- posted 02-08-2018 07:34 PM      Profile for Carsten Kurz   Email Carsten Kurz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Corretly wired, the RS422 should give status commands from key actions, the RS422 levels should be able to trigger the Rx line of the PC. However, that doesn't help much if the AD doesn't accept commands from TX. The document should mention it, but is there maybe some setting in these firmware versions to enable remote control?

- Carsten

Matt Close
Expert Film Handler

- posted 02-13-2018 05:49 PM      Profile for Matt Close   Author's Homepage   Email Matt Close   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
ok, I've used a 232 to 422 converter and connected to the 422 rj45 'automation' ports. No action from the unit other than just echoing back the exact string sent to the DTS6AD from a PC.

Carsten Kurz
Film God

- posted 02-13-2018 09:51 PM      Profile for Carsten Kurz   Email Carsten Kurz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Did you try both RS422 ports? And pressing a few keys on the unit while connected?

- Carsten

Matt Close
Expert Film Handler

- posted 02-14-2018 04:02 PM      Profile for Matt Close   Author's Homepage   Email Matt Close   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sure did. Both upper 422 ports do nothing. I get no status strings when pressing buttons.

Also, does anyone know if DTS or Datasat tech support still exist? All their emails bounce

Carsten Kurz
Film God

- posted 02-14-2018 04:19 PM      Profile for Carsten Kurz   Email Carsten Kurz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There are some people supporting Datasat, but those will not be the same people who supported the DTS units I guess.

I may have a look into my DTS document collection, but I don't think I'll find something useful there...

Daniel Schulz used to work for DTS and DATASAT, he is active on this forum and MAY have an idea, but chances are low...

- Carsten

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: