Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Products for films

Author Topic: Products for films
Flavio Stabile
Film Handler

- posted 02-01-2018 03:57 PM      Profile for Flavio Stabile   Email Flavio Stabile   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I would like to share my opinion and have also yours...

The best products I tried in the past are

VITAFILM as the best for stopping or slowing the vinegar syndrome process...

FILMGUARD as the best lubricant in every sense...

FILMRENEW as the best product to be used "on the fly" during a projection to eliminate on the screen any black line on the picture.

Unfortunately, I can only say IN THE PAST, because none of them is available in Europe to buy! [Frown]

What do you think? Do you agree with my experience?

Any similar product to be found as alternatives?

Thanks
Flavio

|  IP: Logged

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 02-01-2018 04:05 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Vitafilm in no way stops the vinegar syndrome process. [Roll Eyes]

Jack Roe UK carries FilmGuard.

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 02-01-2018 04:14 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
True, once VS kicks in, it's a gradual decay process where the stock will dry out and go brittle due to the acetate breakdown.

Can be delayed if kept in a strict controlled area, but best make dupes of the stock while it's possible.

But, if the stock was kept in a high humidity condition and the stock was in a sealed containment that can't breathe, it will eventually go towards a sticky mess.

Frank Angel
Film God

- posted 02-02-2018 03:10 AM      Profile for Frank Angel   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Angel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Brad Miller
Vitafilm in no way stops the vinegar syndrome process.
I have 8 3000ft reels of BEN HUR 4 trk mag IBTec that was soaked in Vitafilm and while there is only conjecture that it MAY have retarded the acidosis cascade, POSSIBLY extending the useful life of the print for maybe a year, the end result are reels of once gorgeous, mint film now needing a reciprocal saw to cut it off the reels, so badly decomposed is it that it can't even be unwound.

The thing about this destructive process is that there are many factors that affect its progression, although, as Monte points out, the end result is always that the print can no longer be run thru a projector. The reels of this particular print all deteriorated at different rates, even though they were kept in ideal conditions and separated from each other; some outlasting others by a year or more, but in the end, all are gone. Then by that same token, I have IBTec prints (Warner Brother cartoons all) which show no signs of acidosis at all and they are at least 60 years old. It's a mystery that chemists have not yet been able to come up with definitive reasons why some prints seem to be immune to the process and other succumb quickly. They never came up with a cure or are able even to explain that discrepancy, other than theorizing and certainly not been able to stop the process. As Paul says in HELP, "You've failed, scientist!"

Flavio Stabile
Film Handler

- posted 02-02-2018 03:19 PM      Profile for Flavio Stabile   Email Flavio Stabile   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Brad,

on the website of Jack Roe (https://www.jackroe.com/) I cannot find any refenrece to any producs for sale...

Is the wrong site I'm visiting, or they don't sell on line?

Thanks
Flavio

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 02-02-2018 04:20 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Call or email them. I don't think they keep up the website for older film stuff.

Victor Liorentas
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 02-02-2018 05:17 PM      Profile for Victor Liorentas   Email Victor Liorentas   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Since it's come up...hiding black scratches on the base side is something Film Guard does very well. I wet soak it by hand with cotton cloth strips. Very carefully and evenly to get a super smooth wet gate look.
I have a feature with a badly scratched section on the last reel and it looks brand new when wet.
I double splice any splice or they will fail.
I play this film once a year to an audience without any issues.
I re-apply Film Guard every year. It's a miracle!

Kieran Hall
Film Handler

- posted 02-12-2018 04:51 AM      Profile for Kieran Hall   Author's Homepage   Email Kieran Hall   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If anyone's looking for Jack Roe's UK catalogue, they have it at cinemasupplies.co.uk. I don't know why it's separate from their main site, as it's not always the easiest thing to find.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: