Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Turrets system for archive

Author Topic: Turrets system for archive
Anhtu Vu
Film Handler

- posted 12-17-2017 04:17 PM      Profile for Anhtu Vu   Email Anhtu Vu   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm about to install two fully reconditioned Simplex 35 mm for archive film projection. IT will be a double system with automatic (via single foil) and manual change over.

We are debating wether to modify the heads to accommodate a turret system. I contacted a few archives and most of them don't use turrets. Anyone experience with turrets and archive environment shed some light as to why such a system is not recommend. On a technical and mechanical point of view, i don't see how turrets can damage film.

|  IP: Logged

Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 12-17-2017 09:23 PM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't think that any archives are actively not recommending them: rather, they're just not needed for a typical archive environment, because in such a projection situation there is never a need to switch the aspect ratio in a shorter time than it takes to do so by swapping out the lens and plate manually. Therefore, there is no argument for spending the extra money on turrets.

The point of having a turret is to be able to switch between flat (1.85) and 'scope between the trailers and the feature very quickly, and in response to an automation cue. An archive or Cinematheque-type venue using a changeover system is not going to need to do that.

However, if you are installing used equipment that comes with turrets at little or no extra cost, you might as well install and use them. They will have the added advantage that you won't have to handle the lenses used for your most frequently used ratios directly, which should reduce the risk of an accident while doing so.

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 12-17-2017 09:31 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In a archive one would expect more formats than a turret allows for

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: