Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » 1000ft to 100ft

Author Topic: 1000ft to 100ft
Mainoo Smith
Film Handler

- posted 11-15-2017 03:22 PM      Profile for Mainoo Smith   Email Mainoo Smith   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello and thanks for letting me in. I'm a photographer that needs to turn a 1000ft reel into 100 ft rolls. I am hoping to do this using cores, split reels and rewinds. I am able to find 35mm rewinds at eye-watering prices on ebay but have been unable to find 35mm 100ft split reels anywhere - does such a ting exist? Does anyone know where I might be able to find one? Are there cheaper sources for film rewinds?

Thanks very much in advance.
mainoo

|  IP: Logged

Donald Brown
Expert Film Handler

- posted 11-15-2017 05:39 PM      Profile for Donald Brown   Email Donald Brown   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mainoo: While I've never encountered a 100 foot split reel, an alternative might be a 35mm core wind. There were, formerly, a number of styles and sizes of these units available. In combination with a 35mm footage counter, you should be able to accomplish your objective of dividing up the film stock fairly accurately!
If you can't find an affordable bench rewind, you might have better luck scouting out a platter make-up table.

Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 11-15-2017 07:38 PM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Are we talking about processed film or unexposed stock? If the latter, this will have to be done in complete darkness, and so a footage counter won't be much use. You'll also need an arrangement that will fit in a changing bag, unless you have a darkroom.

Professional (stills) photographers used to be able to buy 35mm film in 100ft lengths, and a dispenser to load your own 135 cartridges (36 8-perf frames = 4.5ft).

I've used winding plates for core-mounted (movie) film (with 35mm hubs, but which obviously could take a 16mm core as well) as small as 400ft, but not 100ft.

Don't know of any suppliers in Portugal - sorry. Start with Ebay?

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 11-15-2017 08:07 PM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Assuming that this is for some kind of camera, do the rolls need to be _exactly_ 100'? I would think that measuring film in the dark would be the most difficult part of the exercise. The only way that I could think to do this would be to sacrifice some film and figure exactly how many turns of the rewind crank are needed to get to 100' (in daylight, using a footage counter), then repeat that in the darkroom.

Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 11-15-2017 09:49 PM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
No need to sacrifice unexposed stock - he could do that with scrap footage (assuming that he can get hold of some).

Mainoo Smith
Film Handler

- posted 11-15-2017 11:29 PM      Profile for Mainoo Smith   Email Mainoo Smith   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you all very much for responding.

Donald Brown: I tried googling "core wind" (as I had no idea what it is) but was none the wiser - are there alternative names for this object? Did the same for platter make-up table and the closest i found was a reference on this venerable website. It looked a bit beyond my abilities.

Leo: I am talking about unexposed stock and the objective is indeed to make spools for my bulk loaders in a darkroom. The reason i'm after 100 ft split reels is so I can remove the spool after and i know that it will fit in a bulk loader (i'm not so concerned with getting precisely 100ft). My previous attempt at doing this in a changing bag involved more film handling than i would like.

Scott: You are right - it's not so important that it is 100 ft but being able to remove the film from the reel is important. I will see if i can find some scrap footage to conduct the experiment you suggest.

Sounds like a larger 35mm split reel is the way to go and estimating the number of winds. Thanks again to you all.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: