Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Circuit for a Dolby analogue and Digital reader for an FP50 D

Author Topic: Circuit for a Dolby analogue and Digital reader for an FP50 D
Steve Roberts
Film Handler

- posted 11-12-2017 05:31 PM      Profile for Steve Roberts   Email Steve Roberts   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
2 weeks ago I was clearing out an old friends shed who has died. In a dark corner I found an FP50 D projector. It is just the box with the projector in it. I could not leave it as I love messing with projectors and this was going to the scrap man. When I got it home and looked in side I found someone had taken a pair of wire cutter to ever wire. It did not take more than 15mins to get the motor running but the sound is something different. All the readers are still there but all the wiring is missing so can anyone help me with a circuit for the Dolby analogue and Digital reader for FP50 D.

|  IP: Logged

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 11-12-2017 06:29 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Is it the RSSD or the older style exciter lamp based reader (or perhaps a 3rd party reader)?

Pictures would be good.

Jim Cassedy
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 11-12-2017 09:37 PM      Profile for Jim Cassedy   Email Jim Cassedy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
1: Condolences on the loss of your friend

2:
quote: Steve Roberts
When I got it home and looked in side I found someone had taken
a pair of wire cutter to ever wire

I saw this sort of thing done by numerous times by digital "installers"
to (in theory) prevent the film projectors from ever being used again.

Steve Roberts
Film Handler

- posted 11-12-2017 11:16 PM      Profile for Steve Roberts   Email Steve Roberts   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think the wire cutting was by the person who was in a rush to get the thing out. I have has DTS, Dolby and SDDS readers and processors where someone has just cut every wire they have to, too remove the projector and amplifier system.

As it is 5am in the UK I can get out to photograph the FP50 D I have found one of an FP40 D which is identical.
 -

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 11-13-2017 07:18 AM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That FP40D head has the RSSD and, as pictured, is an analog and digital version.

The FP40 and FP50 were "console" projectors meaning that the projector head was not sold separately but as part of a console system. As such, bits and pieces of the control and power of the unit reside in the console rather than cramming it into the projector, as would have been done for a PK60D. Even a column projector like the FP30D would split things up a bit and put portions on the rear door of the projector column.

You are likely missing the LED driver/preamp power board. Earlier versions used 230VAC to generate the outputs. Later ones used 24VDC (Kinotons of that era used 24VDC for low-voltage power and often had a Mean-Well 230VAC in to 24VDC output.

The Kinoton analog board was a straight up Dolby reverse scan board design (as was their Dolby Digital reader board). The analog board has two Molex KK series connectors on it. A 5-conductor one that is the cell-output (+/- from each cell plus common) and a 3-conductor (+/- 15V plus common).

I never really worked with the FP50D but I suspect that, like the FP30 series, the cell outputs are routed with a short cable to just inside of the projector where a soldered on terminal strip will reside.

-

You would still need to power the analog board via +/- 15V AND the LED(s) with a suitable adjustment to drive the LEDs just hard enough to meet Dolby Level without over driving them.

Sean McKinnon
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 11-15-2017 06:06 PM      Profile for Sean McKinnon   Author's Homepage   Email Sean McKinnon   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
As usual Steve is correct. The analog reader wires are terminated on a white plastic solder to screw terminal strip inside the projector head slightly below and to the right of the RSSD. There is a small hole where the cable enters the projector head. You would solder the White Green Brown and Yellow wires coming from the RSSD to the terminal and then connect your LT and RT connections to your cinema processor on the screw terminal side.

The power supply for the RSSD should be located in the lamp house console under a vertical panel on the operating side rear under the lamp house. There is a long board with 12 relays (8134 Board) and just above that should be the RSSD power supply. Analog and Digital are located on the same power supply and there is a phoenix type connector to terminate everything. The LED's should be switched by the relay board below on the connections labeled LED ON (st-2 #12 and ST-3 #1).

Hopefully this helps you!

Steve Roberts
Film Handler

- posted 11-16-2017 03:37 AM      Profile for Steve Roberts   Email Steve Roberts   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you all for the information.
I have now been sent a manual for the FP50D which has a full set of circuits.
I will make up the red LED's and the Dolby digital so it will all work just in case I sell the thing or one of my friends come around and see it and says "That's nice, can I borrow it" and I never see it again!

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: