Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Who is showing Justice League in 70mm? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: Who is showing Justice League in 70mm?
Stephan Shelley
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 10-18-2017 05:01 PM      Profile for Stephan Shelley   Email Stephan Shelley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Grand Lake in Oakland CA just got notice from Warner's that we will.

|  IP: Logged

Frank Cox
Film God

- posted 10-18-2017 05:35 PM      Profile for Frank Cox   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Cox   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Gosh, a movie that long in 70.... you'll need three men and two small boys to shift the cans!

Stephan Shelley
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 10-18-2017 05:59 PM      Profile for Stephan Shelley   Email Stephan Shelley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Longer than H8? That is what floor staff is for.

Tyler Purcell
Expert Film Handler

- posted 10-18-2017 07:56 PM      Profile for Tyler Purcell   Author's Homepage   Email Tyler Purcell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm shocked they'd release it the weekend AFTER Murder on the Orient in 70mm. So that means theaters who aren't running Murder will get Justice League I assume. That's pretty incredible if you think about it, two different 70mm releases at the same time?!!

Stephan Shelley
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 10-18-2017 08:38 PM      Profile for Stephan Shelley   Email Stephan Shelley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Have not heard that the Grand Lake is getting Murder on the Orient Express but we can run 70mm on more than 1 screen here. 3 of the 4 screens.

Bill Brandenstein
Master Film Handler

- posted 10-19-2017 06:48 PM      Profile for Bill Brandenstein   Email Bill Brandenstein   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The online trailer for "Murder" states what we've heard elsewhere: 70mm "Murder" in NYC and LA only. Sadly.

Jim Cassedy
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 10-19-2017 10:37 PM      Profile for Jim Cassedy   Email Jim Cassedy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Geez, I hope the visual quality of the feature looks better
than the crappy 70mm trailer they had attached to DUNKIRK.

Geoff Jones
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 10-25-2017 08:36 PM      Profile for Geoff Jones   Author's Homepage   Email Geoff Jones   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Seattle Cinerama will be showing Justice League in 70MM.

David J Hilsgen
Expert Film Handler

- posted 10-26-2017 11:44 PM      Profile for David J Hilsgen   Email David J Hilsgen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Emagine Willow Creek in Plymouth,mn Booking confirmed

Bill Brandenstein
Master Film Handler

- posted 10-30-2017 07:35 PM      Profile for Bill Brandenstein   Email Bill Brandenstein   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Both the Arclight Hollywood and Sherman Oaks locations will present JL in 70mm. The Dome will have JL as well, but isn't the 70mm screen.

Which is curious, because the Hollywood location will have Murder on the Orient Express in 70mm at the same time - unless they only run it for a week.

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 10-30-2017 09:09 PM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
People who go out of their way to see Justice League in 70mm will be scratching their heads when they see the 1.85:1 aspect ratio. Look for some of the same complaints made with 70mm shows of The Master and Inherent Vice. 1.85:1 70mm was a pretty common thing in the 1980's.

Tyler Purcell
Expert Film Handler

- posted 11-02-2017 01:57 AM      Profile for Tyler Purcell   Author's Homepage   Email Tyler Purcell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm still scratching my head on why they shot the movie in 1.85:1.

So they'd either matte 4 perf 35mm or 3 perf 35mm. Either way, they're losing quite a bit of negative space over super 35mm 4 perf anamorphic and all the other DC movies are 2.40:1. To me it really makes no sense to make it 1.85:1.

Bill Brandenstein
Master Film Handler

- posted 11-02-2017 09:46 PM      Profile for Bill Brandenstein   Email Bill Brandenstein   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Only a suspicion, but it may have something to do with Imax being one of the release formats. (Not that it's stopped them from letterboxing in the past.)

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 11-03-2017 12:04 AM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Much of the movie was shot digitally using the Arri Alexa 65 camera system. So that's already a slightly taller frame than 2.39:1 scope. Some portions were shot on 35mm. I don't know what work flows were used in this production, but I do know some movies that have been shot in 6K or 8K in camera were composed loosely so the footage could be cropped to the desired composition in post production.

Regardless of that stuff so many of the premium priced screens and standard priced commercial theater screens are NOT native 'scope in ratio. They're taller and often show 'scope movies un-masked in TV-style letter-box presentation. There's hardly any real, true anamorphic CinemaScope™ in theaters anymore. Today the movie industry's idea of super-widescreen is very much a digital version of 2-perf TechniScope. These days 'scope pretty much sucks unless you have a movie shot in a native widescreen format on film, post-produced entirely on film and presented on film. Such a thing is extremely rare now. Nearly all movie productions are tooling around with glorified TV cameras, all equipped with imagers shaped like the TV screens in our living rooms. The Alexa 65 is a little tiny bit wider and that's pretty much the lone exception.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 11-03-2017 08:42 AM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
My Dallas sites playing Justice League in 70mm:

LOOK Cinemas
Studio Movie Grill Royal
Studio Movie Grill Arlington

I'm also quite surprised a 1.85 film is being released in 70mm in this day and age, but I too blame the video photography and what people like to call "PLF auditoriums".

Being 1.85 I'm going to have to actually file a 1.85 aperture plate though for each these rooms to properly fit with the masking, as it will look unacceptably odd with slanted pillarbox bars on "scope" masked screens.

Yes actual "masking"!!! Something these "PLF" auditoriums fail to do.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: