Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » State Theatre Woodland CA Light Leakage

Author Topic: State Theatre Woodland CA Light Leakage
Terry Monohan
Master Film Handler

- posted 09-29-2017 11:02 AM      Profile for Terry Monohan   Email Terry Monohan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Was up last week at the long closed remodeled Cinema West State Theatre in Woodland CA. The original big theatre along with a few other new add on small auditoriums are now open and showing movies. The ceilingin #1 has 6 nice looking old art deco lights, the first two fixtures are near the screen roof. Very bright white light leaks onto the top of the screen during all the pre show ads and trailers. It is almost like the work lights are on when you arrive inside. Same with the nice side wall lights,white light leaks onto the bottom right and left of the movie even when they dim them down. Who does the lighting in cinemas these days? If they had put in blue or color bulbs or blockers facing the screen this would not happen. At 10 15PM when the scope movie started 'Kingsman' the image was set only in the middle of the 60 foot flat screen with white screen in a hallow at the top, side and bottom. The young new lady manager told me some guy had set up the image and she did not know how to change It. We left and got return passes. I have sent a note to Dave owner of Cinema West about many other things that were wrong, he has not gotten back to me yet. At least the stereo digital surround sound in cinema #1 was very good with deep base ect. The new neon marquee was very classy. Lets hope they can correct these light issues before the Xmas movies come out. If the people at ScreenVision or whoever does his pre show ads or trailers saw what I watched last Sat night with everything washed out no black level ect It is a waste of advertising dollars. The new DCP booth is set very close to the screen in the middle of the cinema and looked soft not crisp almost like a blow up plastic lens. The crowd just sat there watching the wrong image size on the main feature with white lights on the bottom of the screen.

|  IP: Logged

Jesse Skeen
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 10-19-2017 12:05 AM      Profile for Jesse Skeen   Email Jesse Skeen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've been keeping an eye on this theater the past 10 or so years, always thought it had potential but I'm afraid to check it out now that it's been refurbished. The first week they were open they were showing Spiderman Homecoming in 2D on the big screen. I won't watch a 3D movie in 2D, besides I saw Jaws 3D there back in '83 with no problems so why wouldn't they be able to show 3D now? The pictures I've seen scare me too- the digital projector mounted in the middle of the auditorium looks silly, and the original projection booth seems to have just been obliterated! What happened to the nearly-new film projection equipment they had before it closed? At least keeping the ability to run film there would have been an advantage. There seem to be no more CURTAINS there either!

Not surprised to hear they've been having problems like this, and of course today's audiences are so clueless they'll just sit there and take it.

Terry Monohan
Master Film Handler

- posted 10-19-2017 01:06 PM      Profile for Terry Monohan   Email Terry Monohan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Jesse hope you can try to go again and see a movie in Theatre #1 on the large screen and see If they have fixed the lighting problems and It is shown in the correct size. Many of us have called and written Dave the owner of Cinema West and he has never got back to us. It's also sad to see the new cheap thin rugs with hardly any padding before you go into the small cinemas in the hall area have drink stains in many places and the theatre is just a few months old. Please Dave don't let the new State Theatre get trashed by sloppy patrons.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: