Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » The Last Jedi (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: The Last Jedi
Michael Cornish
Film Handler

- posted 09-21-2017 12:48 AM      Profile for Michael Cornish   Email Michael Cornish   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Has Disney announced any plans yet of doing any 70MM release of The Last Jedi?

|  IP: Logged

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 09-21-2017 01:22 AM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm kind of amazed there hasn't been more promo on it. They're being even closer-vested with this than they were with "Force Awakens." I love it, I hope they don't even release any more trailers. Maybe a final onesheet and be done.

Stephan Shelley
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 09-21-2017 01:55 PM      Profile for Stephan Shelley   Email Stephan Shelley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I believe that it is the next one that has been shot on 65mm.

Lyle Romer
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 09-21-2017 02:02 PM      Profile for Lyle Romer   Email Lyle Romer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Stephan Shelley
I believe that it is the next one that has been shot on 65mm
According to IMDB, it was shot on a mix of 35mm film, IMAX 70mm horizontal film and Arri Alexa 65 (5K+) digital.

The DI is supposedly a 4k DI but with a 3D release I'm not sure if 4K DCPs will actually be available. Of course, if they spent the money to do a 4K DI, then why not release a 4K DCP?

Mike Schulz
Expert Film Handler

- posted 09-21-2017 05:44 PM      Profile for Mike Schulz   Email Mike Schulz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Lyle Romer
Of course, if they spent the money to do a 4K DI, then why not release a 4K DCP?
I've heard that the main reason lots of big budget features end up with 2K DCP's is because of the extra time and money involved to complete the visual effects in 4K is doubled. Because of this, a lot of 4K DCP's that we do get are using visual effects that have been upscaled to 4K. Some filmmakers don't like the idea of upscaling anything so they just release everything in 2K. If you add 3D into the mix, that's even more time and money involved to render 4K stereo images.

I'm not really sure what can be done to make rendering less expensive and time consuming other than the eventual evolution of supercomputers that can get the job done faster.

My guess is that unless a 4K release is planned for during pre-production, it will probably not happen.

Mark J. Marshall
Film God

- posted 10-03-2017 03:22 PM      Profile for Mark J. Marshall     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: "Mike Schulz"
I've heard that the main reason ... is because of ... money
I've heard that too and that just pisses me off. If you know you're going to make a billion dollars on a movie can you not spend an extra million or two to get the 4K visuals right?

quote: "Stephan Shelley"
I believe that it is the next one that has been shot on 65mm.
Do we have confirmation that this is still happening? They did just change the director, didn't they? And I thought it was him that was pushing for 65mm. Hopefully the new guy will keep that going.

Mike Schulz
Expert Film Handler

- posted 10-03-2017 05:52 PM      Profile for Mike Schulz   Email Mike Schulz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mark, I see that you intentionally left out the "time" part of my quote in your comment. That is also a very crucial factor concerning production. I get your point that a company like Disney,that will no doubt gross another billion dollars with the new Star Wars movie, should have no issue covering the cost of getting everything done in 4K but time is also a very important factor.

If money was of no concern, you would still have to push the release date of the movie to next summer to allow the time to render everything in 4K. The amount of VFX in a movie like Star Wars is astronomical and extremely time consuming already just rendering everything in 2K.

Their options would be to either postpone the release 3-6 months to get the job done, or to just upscale the VFX to 4K which, understandably, a lot of people don't like to do.

Having said that, we still don't know how they will release this feature. It could still be a 4K release but the reason I would guess that it will be 2K is because The Force Awakens was released that way.

I'm trying to remember the last movie that Disney released in 4K and I think it was "The Jungle Book".

Adam Martin
I'm not even gonna point out the irony.

- posted 10-03-2017 06:11 PM      Profile for Adam Martin   Author's Homepage   Email Adam Martin       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm still trying to figure out how you guys got down this road of "Last Jedi will be 2K". The 2D trailer is 4K.

Now, to be fair, there were 4K trailers of Born in China, Monkey Kingdom, The Avengers, and War Horse and those all ended up as 2K releases.

Disney's 4K releases have been Rogue One, Bridge of Spies, Tomorrowland, and Lincoln.

Mike Schulz
Expert Film Handler

- posted 10-03-2017 09:34 PM      Profile for Mike Schulz   Email Mike Schulz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Adam Martin
I'm still trying to figure out how you guys got down this road of "Last Jedi will be 2K". The 2D trailer is 4K.
Trailers are almost always farmed out to production houses that are not involved with the studio's production at all so a 4K trailer would not be a good indicator.

I had forgotten about "Rogue One" being released in 4K. I don't think it had a 3D release which, again, involves more post production time, but that release does let us know that Lucasfilm might be willing to push for 4K on their future releases.

By the way, everything I've mentioned in this thread is pure speculation on my part. While I would love for "The Last Jedi" to be released in 4K (especially Dolby Vision), I just wanted to provide people with some reasons why a big movie like that might not be released in 4K. Another person mentioned that it should be a non-issue to do considering the money it will make, but I wanted to point out that money is not the only factor in making it happen. The VFX probably take the most amount of post production time as it is to get completed in time for the release date and having to do everything in 4K literally doubles the rendering time.

Marcel Birgelen
Film God

- posted 10-04-2017 12:49 AM      Profile for Marcel Birgelen   Email Marcel Birgelen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Rogue One was also released in 3D and in Dolby Vision 2D and 3D. It also had a 70mm release in both 5/70 and 15/70. It also had both Dolby Atmos and DTS:X. So, it had all the major checkboxes ticked.

I doubt Disney will be targeting such a major release at 2K, not just for the theatrical release, but also the "aftermarket", where 4K has become the norm and where HDR will be expected. A 4K HDR Blu-Ray will also fetch roughly double of the 2K SDR equivalent in the store.

Daniel Schulz
Master Film Handler

- posted 10-04-2017 01:20 AM      Profile for Daniel Schulz   Author's Homepage   Email Daniel Schulz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Marcel Birgelen
Rogue One was also released in 3D and in Dolby Vision 2D and 3D. It also had a 70mm release in both 5/70 and 15/70. It also had both Dolby Atmos and DTS:X. So, it had all the major checkboxes ticked.
Are you sure about the 5/70 release of Rogue One? I don't think any DTS/Datasat discs were made for that title, and to the bet of my knowledge there are no facilities left that can do mag striping.

Marcel Birgelen
Film God

- posted 10-04-2017 02:05 AM      Profile for Marcel Birgelen   Email Marcel Birgelen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You're right, there was no 5/70 release, but there was an IMAX 15/70 "DMR" release.

Mark J. Marshall
Film God

- posted 10-04-2017 08:29 AM      Profile for Mark J. Marshall     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Mike Schulz
Mark, I see that you intentionally left out the "time" part of my quote in your comment. That is also a very crucial factor concerning production. I get your point that a company like Disney,that will no doubt gross another billion dollars with the new Star Wars movie, should have no issue covering the cost of getting everything done in 4K but time is also a very important factor.

Not intentional. Dedicate more processors at a higher cost and the time should be close to a wash.

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 10-04-2017 01:05 PM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Mike Schulz
If money was of no concern, you would still have to push the release date of the movie to next summer to allow the time to render everything in 4K. The amount of VFX in a movie like Star Wars is astronomical and extremely time consuming already just rendering everything in 2K.
If that's Hollywood's excuse I am certainly not buying it. Not at all.

The only way that excuse could possibly work is if computing technology was stuck in early 2000's standards -back when the first feature-length 4K digital intermediates were first being rendered. Actually, Snow White was the first movie to be scanned and digitally processed in 4K back in freaking 1993. In that movie's case the 4K data wasn't saved; the final result was down-rezzed to something more manageable for early 90's technology.

Current computing technology is now many times more powerful than what it was only 10 years ago. Yet 2K digital intermediates, CGI and digital backlot techniques have all been in common use longer than that. So if a 4K render would push a release date for a new Star Wars movie back until summer of next year then all those 2K (and 4K) renders from over a decade ago would have been impossible. Today many TV shows with much lower budgets than Hollywood studio features are using CGI and digital backlot techniques like crazy. Some of these shows, such as House of Cards, are being produced in 4K.

The real problem is that the Hollywood studio production infrastructure grew way too accustomed to 2K. 4K is very feasible for modern movie productions. Even 8K is very do-able with modern workstation technology. What the movie studios did was take all the performance gains and sink it into doing 2K ever faster and cheaper rather than raising the quality bar.

There's a lot of projects that were shot on film or shot digitally in 4K, even post-produced in 4K yet down-rezzed to 2K to save space for archival purposes. They're still doing that shit out of habit. It's one of the reasons that explains why so few movies released on the Ultra-HD Blu-ray format contain any native 4K content.

Only now, with 4K UHDTV sets becoming very common and affordable and 4K infiltrating many other aspects of consumer electronics, Hollywood studios are finally starting to wake up and realize they need to start leaving behind the old 1080p HDTV quality 2K shit.

Tyler Purcell
Expert Film Handler

- posted 10-12-2017 04:24 PM      Profile for Tyler Purcell   Author's Homepage   Email Tyler Purcell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What pisses me off is that making 35mm prints is a piece of cake and not that costly. There are ZERO reasons why movies shot on 35mm, aren't doing a hand-full of laser-out prints, even if they come from 2k masters, so us "film buffs" can see the movie on the format it was shot on. It's just pathetic and shows how studio's are still stuck to the whole 3D thing, which I think is stupid and worthless.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: