Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Kinoton Lamp House

Author Topic: Kinoton Lamp House
Steve McAndrew
Film Handler

- posted 09-16-2017 02:38 AM      Profile for Steve McAndrew   Email Steve McAndrew   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have a couple of Kinoton lamp houses. When I bought them the factory fitted ventilation fans had been removed and a large duct had been bolted on top to suck out the hot air. Was this common practice, as apart from the hole where the light goes through there doesn't seem to be any other air inlets for efficient air circulation.

Did the original fans both suck out of the lamphouse or did they blow in opposite directions, one in and one out?

|  IP: Logged

Stephen Furley
Film God

- posted 09-16-2017 04:19 AM      Profile for Stephen Furley   Email Stephen Furley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
On ours there are two fans on top, the one towards the back draws air in from the room, and the one towards the back, with the extract duct fixed above it blows it out. These are the small 2k lamphouses.

Steve McAndrew
Film Handler

- posted 09-16-2017 08:15 AM      Profile for Steve McAndrew   Email Steve McAndrew   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Stephen

Thanks for the reply, do you think they are the original lamp house fans?

If there are any labels on them, could you take a photo of it?

Thanks

Stephen Furley
Film God

- posted 09-16-2017 02:17 PM      Profile for Stephen Furley   Email Stephen Furley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Steve,

As far as I'm aware they are original. I'll have a look at them when I'm next there, on Tuesday morning.

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 09-16-2017 06:09 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Every Kinoton lamphouse I've seen/worked with has a fan for intake and a fan for exhaust. Now where they are located and how big they are varies with model and lamphouse size.

The older "705" series lamphouses had two fans on top, one in and one out and they had a wire mesh screen. They were designed to vent to the room and had a maximum lamp of 2KW (special lamp that had the same dimensions as a 1600HS.

More recent lamphouses termed "Universal" came in two general sizes (not including the special venue ones). The smaller one has an exhaust fan inside of a 7" flange. The intake fan is internal and is hidden by a baffle but located in the rear of the lamphouse. Its primary purpose is to push air across the lamp and through the reflector.

The larger lamphouse (2-7K) has an 8" exhaust fan with a 4" or so intake fan that is visible from the rear and it also pushes the air across the lamp and through the reflector.

System Notices
Forum Watchdog / Soup Nazi

- posted 03-11-2019 02:53 AM      Profile for System Notices         Edit/Delete Post 

It has been 540 days since the last post.

Steve McAndrew
Film Handler

- posted 03-11-2019 02:53 AM      Profile for Steve McAndrew   Email Steve McAndrew   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sorry to receive this thread but I have just begun to use the lamp house on a regular basis and want to make sure that the fans I have installed are suitable. I am fairly sure the fans I have installed are over spec but I would like to find out what the air handling capacity of the original fans were. Can you have too much ventilation in a lamp house?

The fan behind the lamp is original, and pushes air towards the lamp through the reflector (is this correct as I had to rewire the lamp house)?

I have attached a couple of photos to help identify the lamp house.
 -  -
 -

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: