Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Orcon Lamphouse (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Orcon Lamphouse
Steve McAndrew
Film Handler

- posted 09-02-2017 10:02 AM      Profile for Steve McAndrew   Email Steve McAndrew   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have a Orcon 1600 lamphouse with a problem. The lamp strikes fine but during operation the lamp goes out very very briefly then comes back on at random inetrvals. I have tried two lamps, but both show the issue. Any advice on where to start trouble shooting would be great.

Thanks

|  IP: Logged

Frank Bolkovac
Film Handler

- posted 09-02-2017 12:13 PM      Profile for Frank Bolkovac   Email Frank Bolkovac   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Check your "Air Flow Switch". This will be located in or near the squirrel cage cooling fan with a "paddle" on the end.Clean or replace the assembly. Many times, just short it out.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 09-02-2017 07:35 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Assuming an ORCON power supply this is usually caused by a bad blocking diode. When it gets warm, the junction opens up and kills DC to the lamp. Its hard to actually diagnose. You either have to place a meter on the through (output) side of the diode and check the DC voltage, which will probably be non-existent when the lamp goes out Wrong 61000 series had this same issue. The blocking diode may be on a heat sink by itself or it may not be. It could also be one or more stud mount rectifiers opening up as the unit warms up. I've seen all forms of this happen over the years. It would help to know which rectifier you actually have.

Mark

Steve McAndrew
Film Handler

- posted 09-03-2017 01:11 AM      Profile for Steve McAndrew   Email Steve McAndrew   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for the replies.

It's an Orcon 1600B, so the rectifier & lamp house are all in one. It looks as though the capacitors have been replaced at some point to more modern ones. The lamp only flickers off for a very small amount of time, half a second maybe. It also doesn't seem regular, maybe a little worse when switched on.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 09-03-2017 02:25 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The blocking diode is on the diving wall inside the lamp house. It's pretty obvious. Replace it with an 85 amp stud instead of the 40 amp that's normally in them. I assume it's like this one. The four main rectifiers are a bit more work to replace, and that requires pulling the power supply assembly out of the casing.

-

Mark

Steve McAndrew
Film Handler

- posted 09-03-2017 02:35 PM      Profile for Steve McAndrew   Email Steve McAndrew   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Mark, The 1600B is a little bigger and a slightly different design, I will take some photos of the inside and post them tomorrow.

Thanks Steve

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 09-03-2017 07:52 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Good idea Steve. I am not sure they ever sold a self contained model 1600 here. The 1600 always had a separate power supply. The Model 1000 is whats in the image above.

Mark

Steve McAndrew
Film Handler

- posted 09-04-2017 06:16 AM      Profile for Steve McAndrew   Email Steve McAndrew   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Here are some pics....

-  -
 -  -

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 09-04-2017 12:04 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That's the most bizarre thing I have ever seen! They were never sold here like that. Anyways, all those semi's are antique and should probably be replaced as well as ALL of the electrolytics in the entire lamp house. It appears the blocking diode is in the upper right picture on it's own heat sink, but really need to see the rest of the insides and the circuit boards. A full overview image might also help if you happened to snap one. That MR1215 diode is a 100 amp fwd diode with a 10/32 stud.

Mark

Steve McAndrew
Film Handler

- posted 09-04-2017 01:30 PM      Profile for Steve McAndrew   Email Steve McAndrew   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Here are some more pics, think I have managed to find some replacement diodes so will try swapping them out. As I mentioned the capacitors look fairly modern.
 -  -  -

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 09-04-2017 02:02 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This ranks as one of the most bizarre things I have ever seen... But that single diode on the heat sink looks like it's probably the blocking diode. I would start there and at the same time also replace all the electrolytics on the control PCB(s). There were two control PCB's in the Model 1000, but I oly see one here. This appears to be an SCR regulated power supply like the smaller Model 1000 is, this is just a larger version of that. What the blocking diode does is isolate the low voltage ~20 volt DC from the higher voltage 140 volt starting DC. And of course on top of that is the high voltage igniter that ionizes the xenon gas in the lamp. All of the problems I have ever had with self contained ORC's are either semiconductor or capacitor related, or both.

Mark

Steve McAndrew
Film Handler

- posted 09-04-2017 04:40 PM      Profile for Steve McAndrew   Email Steve McAndrew   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'll let you know how I get on. If I choose to change the large capacitors would I get away with using one with a higher voltage rating, the 25000uf 40V ones seem quite rare.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 09-04-2017 05:30 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Higher voltage rating is fine as long as it physically fits in.

Steve McAndrew
Film Handler

- posted 09-06-2017 04:24 PM      Profile for Steve McAndrew   Email Steve McAndrew   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well here is the first problem!
Luckily there are plenty of them on Ebay!

-

Jim Cassedy
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 09-07-2017 06:23 PM      Profile for Jim Cassedy   Email Jim Cassedy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Well here is the first problem!
Luckily there are plenty of them on Ebay!

Be careful buying corroded caps on e-bay- -
sometimes they'll actually send you good ones. [Razz]

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: