Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » BLADE RUNNER 2049 70MM? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: BLADE RUNNER 2049 70MM?
David J Hilsgen
Expert Film Handler

- posted 08-26-2017 09:43 PM      Profile for David J Hilsgen   Email David J Hilsgen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Is it the next 5/70

|  IP: Logged

Terry Monohan
Master Film Handler

- posted 08-27-2017 02:25 PM      Profile for Terry Monohan   Email Terry Monohan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just because Warner ran a trailer in 70mm does not mean a release in theatres will be shown in 70mm film. We will have to wait and see If they make a few 70mm film prints, just a blow up from the reg image DCP probably.

Jim Cassedy
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 08-27-2017 02:49 PM      Profile for Jim Cassedy   Email Jim Cassedy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
IMDB lists 70mm as one of the release formats- -
but of course you know the usual disclaimer about believing
everything you read on IMDB, or the internet in general.
So- - I guess we'll all have to wait & see.

Daniel Schulz
Master Film Handler

- posted 08-27-2017 10:07 PM      Profile for Daniel Schulz   Author's Homepage   Email Daniel Schulz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I am pretty sure it will be, as Warner Bros seems to be making a habit of this - Kong: Skull Island, Wonder Woman, Dunkirk. Seems likely that Blade Runner and Justice League will get the 70mm treatment.

I think we'll see 70mm prints for Murder on the Orient Express as well, from Fox, and I'm hearing tantalizing rumors that other studios are thinking of joining the party.

Julian Antos
Film Handler

- posted 08-28-2017 01:04 PM      Profile for Julian Antos   Email Julian Antos   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
About two weeks ago WB told us they would not be making prints of this, but a lot can change in two weeks I suppose. Really hoping Fox follows through with ORIENT EXPRESS.

Marcel Birgelen
Film God

- posted 08-28-2017 04:14 PM      Profile for Marcel Birgelen   Email Marcel Birgelen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
While I obviously endorse this 70mm revival of late, I'm not sure what the merits could be for this movie.

It was filmed entirely on digital cameras and judging by the available trailer material, has to be a crapload of CGI in just about every shot. Yes, it was acquired in 6K, but after framing, cropping and post-processing, you can expect the end-result be close to 4K. So, why not just focus on a 4K release? That way, you can at least enjoy the benefits of multi-dimensional sound.

Those high-profile 70mm "roadshow" releases are expensive, so why not reserve them for features where it actually adds something worthwhile to the experience?

Jonathan Goeldner
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 08-28-2017 05:53 PM      Profile for Jonathan Goeldner   Email Jonathan Goeldner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I agree - I'd much more want to see 'Orient Express' in 70mm than this.

Bill Brandenstein
Master Film Handler

- posted 09-12-2017 01:29 PM      Profile for Bill Brandenstein   Email Bill Brandenstein   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
OK Daniel - what would it take to get an immersive soundtrack system to lock up with the DTS time code on a 70mm print? Surely it can't be THAT hard. If I can get a computer to play back 5.1 to a Super 8mm print at home, why can't immersive-to-70 be done in a booth?

Carsten Kurz
Film God

- posted 09-12-2017 03:24 PM      Profile for Carsten Kurz   Email Carsten Kurz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
How many 70mm projectors will we find in booths/auditoriums with immersive audio systems, or vice versa?

- Carsten

Sean McKinnon
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 09-12-2017 04:10 PM      Profile for Sean McKinnon   Author's Homepage   Email Sean McKinnon   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Bill, I believe it could be done and possibly not be too difficult. The trick is getting Dolby on board.

Carsten Kurz
Film God

- posted 09-12-2017 06:35 PM      Profile for Carsten Kurz   Email Carsten Kurz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There were a few months when Barcos Alchemyserver was lacking Atmos capability. Installations of Barcos flagship laser projector thus were not able to play ATMOS. There was no way to drive these projectors with other servers. So, what they did was, they ran Dolby DSS servers in sync to the Alchemy server, the Alchemy server serving the picture, the Dolby server serving the ATMOS soundtrack through the CP850. It should work the same way with a film projector running as a master (or slave), with a tach reader or DTS sync track. I just don't think there is much interest in pursueing that approach. No money in it. You can sell 70mm as a special, or immersive audio, but doing both at the same time is probably not successful.

- Carsten

Marcel Birgelen
Film God

- posted 09-14-2017 01:02 PM      Profile for Marcel Birgelen   Email Marcel Birgelen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm not aware of any DTS time code sync functionality being present in the current CP850 firmware. Without this functionality, it will be a pretty futile exercise. Even if you manage to hit Play at exactly the right moment, good luck keeping your soundtrack lip-sync during the entire show. [Wink]

But yes, there are ways to do it, DTS has proven it can work reliably for more than two decades now, but it would at least need to involve some investments from Dolby, with regards to Atmos.

Tyler Purcell
Expert Film Handler

- posted 09-17-2017 11:46 PM      Profile for Tyler Purcell   Author's Homepage   Email Tyler Purcell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Random question, but film based DTS never changed right? Its the same system currently used on 70mm prints eh?

Daniel Schulz
Master Film Handler

- posted 09-17-2017 11:53 PM      Profile for Daniel Schulz   Author's Homepage   Email Daniel Schulz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Tyler Purcell
Random question, but film based DTS never changed right? Its the same system currently used on 70mm prints eh?
The technology never changed. DTS sold their Cinema division to Datasat, and Datasat has since licensed the technology to produce the timecode tracks and encoded CD-ROMs to a third party, but it's all the same system that's been in place since 1993.

Regarding syncing to one of the immersive systems - as has been suggested in the earlier posts, this is technically very feasible, but as a commercial endeavor somewhat iffy. It's not clear why Dolby, ATI (Datasat's new owners), Barco or Auro would invest in the R&D necessary to make this work for ~100 screens and 2-3 movies per year.

I mean if I were independently wealthy *I'd* do it, just because it would be cool, but it's going to be a tough sell to the companies that could.

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 09-18-2017 08:54 AM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think pairing DTS time code with d-cinema audio formats (like Dolby Atmos, DTS-X or high bit rate & uncompressed LPCM) is a worthwhile endeavor.

The very act of filming a movie in 70mm format and making prints of it is something quite a few industry people already feel is costly and unnecessary. They think "digital" is good enough (even if the implementation of 'scope is a letter-boxed, home-TV quality kind of thing). The 70mm film productions are something meant to please the minority of us who appreciate the difference in image quality.

Murder on the Orient Express will reportedly have a Dolby Atmos mix. The movie was shot on 65mm film. Currently viewers will not be able to watch the movie in 70mm film quality while hearing its Atmos mix at the same time. If you want the 70mm visuals you'll have to settle for a 5.1 channel lossy compressed digital audio mix. If you want the Atmos mix you'll have to settle for lower resolution digital video.

If 70mm film prints can be paired with the very best audio formats available that will increase their appeal.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: