Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Lubricant & Oil for Bell & Howell Filmosound 535

Author Topic: Lubricant & Oil for Bell & Howell Filmosound 535
Owen McCafferty
Film Handler

- posted 08-02-2017 07:48 AM      Profile for Owen McCafferty   Email Owen McCafferty   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi All,

Hoping this is the right place for this--can anyone recommend what sort of lube and oil I should use on a Bell & Howell Filmosound 500 series 16mm projector (specifically the 535.) I am replacing the worm gear and as I understand it, the lube used out of the factory is part of the reason the worm gears fail.

Thanks much!
Owen

|  IP: Logged

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 08-10-2017 06:41 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My big question is if the shuttle assembly is still available..when the pull down teeth get the notches at the base of the tooth, which will cause image jump in the trap due to wear.

prob 10w oil and vasoline for the worm gear would prob work.

Steve Roberts
Film Handler

- posted 08-11-2017 06:28 PM      Profile for Steve Roberts   Email Steve Roberts   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have always used Esso handy oil and Petroleum jelly (Vaseline) on all my Bell and Howell projectors and in 40+ years I have never had a problem.
The reason why the gear failed is because the body was made from Aluminium and the gears from a plastic. The Aluminium expanded twice as much as the gear so the gear cracked.

Steve

Gary A. Hoselton
Film Handler

- posted 08-25-2017 12:59 PM      Profile for Gary A. Hoselton   Email Gary A. Hoselton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I use Dow Corning #44 silicone grease on worm gear and any other plastic parts in B&H 5xx-25xx, based on my observation over the years that petroleum lubricants seem to leach plasticizers out of many plastics, rendering them brittle. Light petroleum oil is fine for sprocket spindles,sound head snubber roller concentric shafts, and reel spindles; I use Zoom-Spout MO-98 for these.

I've not encountered notching in B&H shuttle teeth, and expect spares are available from Larry Urbanski, etc. I have encountered it several times in Eiki, where claw must have been improperly tempered--can turn it over but replacement safer.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: