Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » where's dunkirk playing in 35mm?

Author Topic: where's dunkirk playing in 35mm?
Carl Martin
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 07-10-2017 07:23 PM      Profile for Carl Martin   Author's Homepage   Email Carl Martin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
between these forums, fandango, and other sites, it's pretty easy at this point to figure out where it's showing in 5/70 and 15/70. where are the supposed 35mm prints going? some fandango listings don't say 70mm, imax, or digital on them, but i'd take that at best as a "maybe". i'd heard my old theater, the california in berkeley, had it coming in 35 but they're not listing it in any format as yet. (yes, i'll ask them again about it.)

have dunkirk booked in 35mm at your theater? know for a fact someone else is showing it? list it here. my interest is mainly in the san francisco bay and los angeles areas, but consider this a global question.

|  IP: Logged

Victor Liorentas
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 07-10-2017 10:58 PM      Profile for Victor Liorentas   Email Victor Liorentas   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'd love to say Hyland Cinema London Ontario Canada. I pitched our theater to Warner as a great place to send a 35mm print but they only responded with. "Duly noted thank you".
Doing the same pitch to Fox for a 35mm print of Orient Express.

Yes I'm trying to eventually upgrade to 70mm but it's a daunting thing when you're the only one at the theater who cares about it.

Alexandre Pereira
Expert Film Handler

- posted 07-10-2017 11:03 PM      Profile for Alexandre Pereira   Author's Homepage   Email Alexandre Pereira   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I asked Warner here in Toronto for 35mm and they said there were no 35mm prints only 70mm of Dunkirk. For the Interstellar release there were 35mm prints and I played it at the Kingsway. I hope there are 35mm - I asked for 70mm but of course only CP gets that. Varsity will play it on 70mm in Toronto.

Jim Cassedy
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 07-11-2017 09:46 AM      Profile for Jim Cassedy   Email Jim Cassedy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There are 35mm prints of "Dunkirk". I'm aware of at least two theaters
here in San Francisco that are considering running it on film.
But I've heard, through second-hand sources, that the 'terms' for
getting one of the 35 prints are pretty strict, especially in regards
to making a commitment to a certain number of shows & days.

But, again, this is second-hand info, albeit from someone who has
been pretty accurate in the past.

At least one of these theater owners who could get a 35 print is
probably going to 'pass', since he doesn't want to tie up an auditorium
for the amount of time that the distributor is apparently asking.

(and, of course, there's almost nobody left on his staff who can
actually RUN 35mm- - so he'd have to hire in a temporary projectionist.
- - - I can't do it. I'll be over 1000mi away running 70mm somewhere)

Anthony Benavides
Film Handler

- posted 07-12-2017 12:18 AM      Profile for Anthony Benavides   Email Anthony Benavides   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The Alamo Drafthouse locations, aside from Austin, in the San Antonio and Laredo area (where I'm the projectionist at) are screening Dunkirk in 35mm.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 07-12-2017 08:37 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Alexandre Pereira
I asked Warner here in Toronto for 35mm and they said there were no 35mm prints
The onesheet mentions 35mm. Maybe there are no 35's in Canada?

Allan Lyman
Film Handler

- posted 07-13-2017 07:10 AM      Profile for Allan Lyman   Email Allan Lyman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There is one print playing here in Denmark

Carl Martin
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 07-14-2017 03:28 AM      Profile for Carl Martin   Author's Homepage   Email Carl Martin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
so at least we know there are 35mm prints, and looking at the fandango page for anthony's laredo theater, they do have the option of specifying that format. doesn't look like it's possible to filter for 35mm on fandango though. so keep the responses coming!

James Westbrook
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 07-14-2017 03:36 PM      Profile for James Westbrook   Email James Westbrook   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You will have to go to the Alamo Drafthouse webpage to find the 35mm showings. The one in Lubbock is scheduled to run it in 35mm July 20 through 23 at 7PM.

Anthony Benavides
Film Handler

- posted 07-14-2017 08:06 PM      Profile for Anthony Benavides   Email Anthony Benavides   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Laredo will have 35mm showings after 6pm Thursday and Friday with a full 35mm day on Saturday, matinee 35mm showings on Sunday and one 7pm 35mm showing everyday during the week.

I believe the showtimes vary by market.

Cheers!

Connor Wilson
Expert Film Handler

- posted 07-24-2017 05:32 PM      Profile for Connor Wilson   Email Connor Wilson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The Village East Cinema in NYC is showing Dunkirk in 35mm, as well as digital and 70mm.

William Kucharski
Expert Film Handler

- posted 07-25-2017 08:05 AM      Profile for William Kucharski   Email William Kucharski   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Anthony Benavides
The Alamo Drafthouse locations, aside from Austin, in the San Antonio and Laredo area (where I'm the projectionist at) are screening Dunkirk in 35mm.
Alamo Drafthouse in Littleton, CO as well (only one showing in 35mm daily, unfortunately.)

Bill Brandenstein
Master Film Handler

- posted 07-25-2017 07:46 PM      Profile for Bill Brandenstein   Email Bill Brandenstein   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
By the way, the Vintage Vista cinema here in Los Angeles got a 35mm print!

Peter Mork
Expert Film Handler

- posted 08-10-2017 10:30 PM      Profile for Peter Mork   Email Peter Mork   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Here at West Newton Cinema, Newton MA, we just finished a three week 35mm run. I believe the Fine Arts in Maynard had it also.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: