Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Kinoton FP30D changeover

Author Topic: Kinoton FP30D changeover
Richard May
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 06-29-2017 09:25 AM      Profile for Richard May   Email Richard May   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have 2 Kinoton FP30D's here running changeovers. I'm wondering if something is wired wrong. We have a CP650 with Dolby Digital. Everything works fine when motors are running. If I want to start the film on projector one, I can't get the audio changeover to stay in P2. It only stays in P2 if the motor on P2 is running. When motors aren't running and I press changeover on P2, Dolby goes to P2 until I let go of button. It then goes right back to P1.

|  IP: Logged

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 06-29-2017 09:40 AM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It all depends on how things are wired up!

The DA20 (and consequently a CP650) will "look" at the motor sense lines while running Dolby digital. If only one is active, the changeover will go to the active one, regardless of where the actual changeover line is set. Now, when you make a changeover, It will see the incoming motor come on and when you make the actual changeover, will switch the sound. But if you only have one motor running, the Dolby Digital part will automatically switch to that machine.

Since it is a CP650, you also have choices in how you connected your audio changeover to it (latched or pulsed). Many Kinoton installations use a spare contact on the #2 changeover relay to latch a processor to projector #2 while the douser is open and this would explain why the processor only switches for while you are holding the button down (if the motor/failsafes are not satisfied). I've never been a big fan of this method but it is the easiest to do. We ended up making a board that would allow us to track motor start, douser open, douser close button presses to switch the changeover logic to the cinema processor. It is more work but but the end result is the cinema processor is always looking at the right machine and it will also avoid hearing run-up noises (which is why we also monitor the motor start button).

Richard May
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 07-08-2017 09:50 AM      Profile for Richard May   Email Richard May   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Steve. I guess I'll leave it that way for now. I've been starting on projector 2 to avoid the leader sound on start up.

Dave Macaulay
Film God

- posted 07-08-2017 02:14 PM      Profile for Dave Macaulay   Email Dave Macaulay   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We would wire a cheap relay's coil to the motors power inputs for Dolby "motor run" closures. With projectors using self holding changeovers, a toggle relay was used - one coil to close, another to release. Expensive relays but this was reliable and the operation was hopefully obvious to any future service person.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: