Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Christie P35GPS motorised turret

Author Topic: Christie P35GPS motorised turret
Peter Foyster
Expert Film Handler

- posted 06-15-2017 04:30 AM      Profile for Peter Foyster   Email Peter Foyster   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I recently acquired a Christie P35GPS head, which I have mounted to a Centrex base and a Kneisley Xenex II lamphouse.

With only the operating instructions and several floating leads coming out of a conduit under the projector I was able to identify what connected to what and ran the 220 volt projector motor via my existing motor start relay. I output the 115V transformer to TB1 which powered up the framing lamp and cooling fan and the analog and digital sound head PCBs. Using my existing change-over relays I also have the douser functioning.

The problem I have is with the motorised turret and aperture.

According to the manual, switching is via a 10 connector terminal board, TB4. PCB1, referred to in the manual, apparently controls the timing via a couple of 555 timers.

The only PCBs in the projector appear to be for the LED power supplies. There is no board containing 555 ICs that I can see and TB4 is a 4 connector terminal strip, connectors 1 and 2 being +- 15VDC and connectors 3 and 4 are marked +- 24VDC which go directly to both the turret motor and the aperture motor. Feeding connectors 3 and 4 are two flying leads marked 63 and 64. I can only assume that there is some external circuitry involved to provide the timed 24 volts but I have been unable to locate any.

Or could this particular model have its motorised turret controlled by some other means?

|  IP: Logged

Peter Foyster
Expert Film Handler

- posted 06-20-2017 03:44 AM      Profile for Peter Foyster   Email Peter Foyster   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Anyone??? [uhoh]

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 06-20-2017 01:34 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The turret controller board was almost always mounted in the console near the automation connections inside the back door.
There are still some complete consoles up in Idaho. Next month when I go there I will have a look.

Also, there might be a controller board that you can see here just to the left of the lamp house snood. Three relays and a transformer and some other gobldygook on it. I have seen it in both places.

Mark

-

Peter Foyster
Expert Film Handler

- posted 06-20-2017 07:26 PM      Profile for Peter Foyster   Email Peter Foyster   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Mark,
The board at the rear with the three relays is, as you suggest, most likely the turret controller board, with the transformer just below it.
That board and transformer are not in my projector so must have been in the console itself.

I did briefly examine an old console and could not see a board that fitted that description although there appeared to be a small transformer that could have been the 24V supply.
If you are able to get a photo of a console with the board in it that would certainly assist us in identifying where to find it.
Peter

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 06-21-2017 03:51 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I will see what I can do, but it's probably going to be a month before I make it to that site. Someone on here must have a P-35GPS they are scrapping out or has extra parts around that you could acquire... Might be a good idea to post a WTB ad in the Film-Tech Classifieds.

Mark

Peter Foyster
Expert Film Handler

- posted 06-21-2017 11:18 PM      Profile for Peter Foyster   Email Peter Foyster   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Mark,

There is no rush at all for this. It's just something I get a little time to devote to when the cinema is closed for winter. I have spares for just about everything but not PC boards.

If you have no luck next month, and I can't locate the board myself, then I will probably post an ad as you suggest, but at the moment I am in no particular hurry.

Peter

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 06-22-2017 07:36 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have a couple of turret control boards that was given to me from a digital conversion. In fact, I have quite the quandary of P35GPS parts that I was allowed to take.

Peter Foyster
Expert Film Handler

- posted 06-22-2017 09:29 PM      Profile for Peter Foyster   Email Peter Foyster   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Monte,

Yes,I know what you mean about spare parts. If I burnt out a motor or even a turret motor, no problem. But I never did get any boards.

I would certainly be interested in acquiring the board if it can be arranged.

Peter

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 06-23-2017 12:01 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Peter,

It's a good idea to remove the end cover on the motor every few years and blow out the dust that builds up under it at the end of the cooling fins. I have seen motors cooling fins completely clogged up and the air from the blower fan is doing absolutely nothing to cool the motor. Some motors have a thermal breaker and the motor will just shot down till it cools off. But some motors will literally just self destruct.

Mark

Peter Foyster
Expert Film Handler

- posted 06-23-2017 09:18 PM      Profile for Peter Foyster   Email Peter Foyster   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Mark,

I shall do that while I have the opportunity. Who knows how long the motor ran for prior to me acquiring it?

I appreciate you taking the time to give me that advice as well as your assistance with the board. I shall contact Monte to sort out acquiring one of his spares.

Peter

Peter Foyster
Expert Film Handler

- posted 12-17-2017 09:28 PM      Profile for Peter Foyster   Email Peter Foyster   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have not had any luck with getting the board so if anyone has a spare to sell I would appreciate it.

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 12-17-2017 09:32 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
be aware that the line voltage in north america is 120vac

Peter Foyster
Expert Film Handler

- posted 12-17-2017 10:35 PM      Profile for Peter Foyster   Email Peter Foyster   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, there is a secondary 110v transformer feeding the power supply for the boards. The 240v supply is for the projector motor only.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: