Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Orient Express shooting in 70mm

Author Topic: Orient Express shooting in 70mm
Daniel Schulz
Master Film Handler

- posted 06-02-2017 10:57 PM      Profile for Daniel Schulz   Author's Homepage   Email Daniel Schulz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Kenneth Branagh's all-star Murder on the Orient Express is shooting in Super Panavision. Still looking for confirmation if this film will be added to the steady stream of films releasing in 5/70mm.

|  IP: Logged

Julian Antos
Film Handler

- posted 06-04-2017 12:42 AM      Profile for Julian Antos   Email Julian Antos   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Crossing my fingers on this one. All the recent 70 releases have been WB titles, and at least some people there actually like film. Not so sure about FOX. I hope there are prints, though, looks like a fun movie!

Mike Schulz
Expert Film Handler

- posted 06-04-2017 08:55 AM      Profile for Mike Schulz   Email Mike Schulz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm happy to see Branagh shooting on 65mm again. Interestingly, his 1996 "Hamlet" film was the last feature film shot and released on 70mm until the recent resurgence. It is also my favorite reference Blu-ray above the other usual suspects that include Baraka/Samsara.

I'm not sure why I wanted to mention this but when I saw Branagh's name and 70mm together, I had to jump on the soapbox to proclaim my love for Hamlet. To me, it's a masterpiece. If only I could find a venue playing a non-faded 70mm print somewhere...

Daniel Schulz
Master Film Handler

- posted 06-04-2017 01:11 PM      Profile for Daniel Schulz   Author's Homepage   Email Daniel Schulz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Mike Schulz
I'm not sure why I wanted to mention this but when I saw Branagh's name and 70mm together, I had to jump on the soapbox to proclaim my love for Hamlet. To me, it's a masterpiece. If only I could find a venue playing a non-faded 70mm print somewhere...
Right there with ya. I've only seen Hamlet twice, on 35mm back when it was first released, and on DVD a few years ago. I would love to see a 70mm screening.

Thomas Hauerslev
Master Film Handler

- posted 06-05-2017 12:25 AM      Profile for Thomas Hauerslev   Author's Homepage   Email Thomas Hauerslev   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
"Hamlet" is a master piece in 70mm for sure. It was shown here open-air at the Kronborg castle (where the action actually takes place) in 2013 - in 7OMM by Orla Nielsen: http://www.in70mm.com/news/2013/kronborg/index.htm

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 06-05-2017 11:19 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sheesh! How many more versions of this movie must we all endure??? I think there has been at least six just in my life time.

Mark

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 06-05-2017 03:53 PM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I thought there was only one previous version of Murder on the Orient Express, the 1974 version with Albert Finney and Lauren Bacall.

The 1990's version of Hamlet was a good (but long) movie. Never got to see a 70mm version of it. If it played in the Dallas area in 70mm I must have missed it. I didn't think they made very many 70mm prints of that movie.

Julian Antos
Film Handler

- posted 07-21-2017 02:59 AM      Profile for Julian Antos   Email Julian Antos   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Does anyone know what the deal is with the 70mm trailers for this? Some oversees venues have them but I haven't heard of any in the states.

Tony Bandiera Jr
Film God

- posted 07-21-2017 10:26 AM      Profile for Tony Bandiera Jr   Email Tony Bandiera Jr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ahh, "Hamlet" in 70mm....I had the pleasure of running that film in 70mm at the Laemmle Royal Theatre during it's original release.. (after building up most of the print too..)

Two decks of a Christie AW5 deck platter, and ran on the smoothest Norelco AAII 70mm machine I have ever heard... the film literally purred through that machine, it was a challenge to stay awake during the shift as the sound would put you to sleep.

Only "bad" thing about the Royal was the screen size..pretty small for a 70mm presentation...but that also made the image really "pop" on such a small screen.

The film itself was wonderful, beautifully shot... I look forward to seeing MOTOE in 70mm.. if there are any venues near enough to me in Idaho..

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: