Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » SX-3000 Preset Not Saving?

Author Topic: SX-3000 Preset Not Saving?
Jered Gordner
Film Handler

- posted 05-06-2017 04:58 PM      Profile for Jered Gordner   Author's Homepage   Email Jered Gordner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I recently created working DCP files (with the help of the awesome people in the forum) and got them running on our theater's projector. Unfortunately, I've come across a new problem. The images were stretched beyond the size of our screen and none of the presets we created would correct it. My file is in the Flat format with a 2K resolution. We were on the phone with the vendor who installed the projector and who is also giving us support, but we're both scratching our heads with this one.

The vendor was able to create a preset (called DCP Ads Flat) in the Main tab of the DCC application that we verified left our DCP the perfect size for our ads. What happens is the staff runs my DCP in a loop then stops is at 7PM, switches to the regular Flat preset, plays the movie, then simply turns off the lap (not the whole projector) at the end of the night.

For some reason when they switch back to my DCP and use the DCP Ads Flat preset, it acts like the changes the vendor created didn't save. The vendor has made the same changes three times now and we just can't figure out why the image seems to go back to the original "too big for the screen" setting.

Any ideas?

|  IP: Logged

Carsten Kurz
Film God

- posted 05-06-2017 05:04 PM      Profile for Carsten Kurz   Email Carsten Kurz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If your ads in flat are wider than your screen, that means you are showing flat content noticeably cut off all the time...

The necessary preset has to be created on your NEC projector using DCC. The SX3000 only calls it up for preshow.

- Carsten

Jered Gordner
Film Handler

- posted 05-08-2017 02:58 PM      Profile for Jered Gordner   Author's Homepage   Email Jered Gordner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The preset was created using DCC and we verified the setting we created is showing the full image. The problem is that when the staff switches to a different preset (say scope for example) then switches back to the preset we just verified as working...it's no longer working. It's as if the preset created for the ads doesn't save the settings.

Carsten Kurz
Film God

- posted 05-08-2017 05:25 PM      Profile for Carsten Kurz   Email Carsten Kurz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That's a projector issue. Maybe 'they' didn't know how to do it properly? Maybe a corrupt filesystem on the projector?

I guess you don't feel competent to create presets yourself? Wether a preset is properly stored or not can be confirmed after storing while the service person is still on line. He can call up the function from within DCC. If switching back and forth between flat and ads-flat that way looks correct, you need to make sure you are addressing the correct function/preset through the SX-3000. The service person must be able to assure this.

DCC is not the most intuitive piece of software to work with, I admit.

- Carsten

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 05-09-2017 08:29 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, it sounds like it is not being saved properly, or the preset you made is not connected to the select button you are using for that preset. I don't quite agree that DCC is not self intuitive. Its the easiest to use projector control program out there.

Mark

Jered Gordner
Film Handler

- posted 05-09-2017 08:34 AM      Profile for Jered Gordner   Author's Homepage   Email Jered Gordner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Carsten Kurz
Maybe 'they' didn't know how to do it properly? Maybe a corrupt filesystem on the projector?
I'm sort of 50/50 on this one. The vendor is very knowledgeable and has set up all our other presets with no trouble at all. It's just this one that isn't sticking.

quote: Carsten Kurz
I guess you don't feel competent to create presets yourself?
I think I could manage it, although I've never done it. The problem is that it is password protected (at the screen where you select user/technician/etc) and he hasn't given us that password. I've asked more than once and he ends up answering other questions in the email or something else. Is there a default password for that section I could try? I've looked through the .pdf manual we have but couldn't find a default password for that section there.

Carsten Kurz
Film God

- posted 05-09-2017 05:23 PM      Profile for Carsten Kurz   Email Carsten Kurz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You need to develop a good understanding about how the projector presets are structured. For all DLP projectors, a hierarchical system is used. Preset files reference a series of config files, each one for input, color system, masking, fokus/zoom, shift. If you mess up one of these files, all presets referencing this file are messed up. So one starts with understanding that you never overwrite something, but create new/rename/copy, etc. And create a full backup before you start. This is all possible with DCC. There is a manual for DCC.

I understand it's hard to be fluid in something you don't do everyday. Yet I wish every projectionist would be able to setup/correct their own formats to adjust for different aspect ratios, focus/position drift, etc.

- Carsten

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: