Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Sticky dowser solenoid

Author Topic: Sticky dowser solenoid
Jonathan Wood
Expert Film Handler

- posted 05-06-2017 08:10 AM      Profile for Jonathan Wood   Email Jonathan Wood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi all

Would anyone know why a dowser solenoid keeps sticking open after the close button is pressed.? It's a Vic 5 and the relay and bridge rectifier are all fine . The down button opens the relay fine and shuts off the DC. You then need to give the dowser a little tap and it shuts. Once it's shut and no current running through it , it moves up and down very easily so I don't think it's mechanical. Could it be that it's remaining slightly magnetised? Thanks as always , Jon

|  IP: Logged

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 05-10-2017 04:11 AM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Simple mechanical issue with this dowsers:

It's usually the dowser lift arm that comes out of the housing.

The solenoid really slams that arm up when opening and the arm hammers against that stop

The metal where it strikes the stop pin gets mushroomed out where it drags against the casting and hangs up the arm.

File down that mushroom and you should be good to go.

A chronic issue with V-5's

Good luck - Monte

Jonathan Wood
Expert Film Handler

- posted 05-12-2017 02:03 AM      Profile for Jonathan Wood   Email Jonathan Wood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Monte! That's very helpful , I'll give it a go.
Cheers, Jon

Allan Lyman
Film Handler

- posted 05-12-2017 04:23 AM      Profile for Allan Lyman   Email Allan Lyman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The dc magnets had a tendancy to keep its magnetic after power off.I dont remember if adjusting the buttom plastic screw helped,or if I simply had to change it.It sounds like this is your problem.
alan

Jonathan Wood
Expert Film Handler

- posted 05-12-2017 08:27 AM      Profile for Jonathan Wood   Email Jonathan Wood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Allan
I think you're probably right as I examined the arm following Monre's suggestion and it appears ok . It does feel like there is still a slight magnetic pull even after the dc is switched off. The RCM relay is also intermittent in its operation so I think I need to replace this too.
Thanks , Jon

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: