Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Phantom Thread (2017) - 70mm

Author Topic: Phantom Thread (2017) - 70mm
Mike Schulz
Expert Film Handler

- posted 05-03-2017 07:38 PM      Profile for Mike Schulz   Email Mike Schulz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey guys, I don't think I've heard anything officially yet about this but it appears that Paul Thomas Anderson's new film will have a 5/70mm release this year (December 25 tentative).

Aspect Ratio: 1.85:1

Cameras: Panavision Panaflex Millennium XL2, Panavision Ultra Speed Z-Series MKII Lenses

Laboratory: Cinelab London

Negative Format: 35mm (Kodak Vision3 200T 5213, Vision3 500T 5219)

Cinematographic Process: Spherical

Printed Film Format: 35mm (spherical) (Kodak Vision 2383), 70mm (blow-up) (Kodak Vision 2383)

While it is exciting that some of the studios are continuing to release films in 5/70, it really bothers me that this one will be another blowup from 35mm and likely also matted down to 1.85 just like he did with "Inherent Vice" which to me kind of completely defeats the purpose of a blowup. "The Master" was even more frustrating because they actually filmed about half or more of the movie on 65mm and still decided to do a 1:85 matte on the 70mm prints.

Anyway, this film is another collaboration with Paul Thomas Anderson and Daniel Day-Lewis so I'd be on board even if they shot this with a VHS camcorder. "There Will Be Blood" was a masterpiece and I have no doubt that this will probably be the film to beat at the 2018 Oscars.

|  IP: Logged

Martin Brooks
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 06-02-2017 10:01 AM      Profile for Martin Brooks   Author's Homepage   Email Martin Brooks   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
As I've reported before, when I saw "The Master" at the Ziegfeld in 70mm, the print looked like complete crap. It was filled with dirt end to end and there was nothing about it that typified what one would expect from 70mm in terms of sharpness, resolution and color. And I don't get the 1.85 AR either unless Anderson is concerned about HDTV screens and if that's the case, why is he bothering with 70mm? The DTS sound was nothing special either. It was a huge disappointment for me and as big a fan of 70mm as I am, it made me feel that it probably looked and sounded better in digital. When I saw "The Master", I knew the age of film presentation was truly over.

Thomas Hauerslev
Master Film Handler

- posted 06-05-2017 12:33 AM      Profile for Thomas Hauerslev   Author's Homepage   Email Thomas Hauerslev   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
PTA wanted a VistaVision look, which is what he accomplished by making it 1,85:1, or close to that. The 70mm print we got here in DK was flawless, the 65mm stuff literally jumping of the screen. About 86% of "The Master" was shot on 65mm stock.

I made a little short film about the presentation at Biffen: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z8AXY-kq6UU

Daniel Schulz
Master Film Handler

- posted 06-05-2017 01:05 AM      Profile for Daniel Schulz   Author's Homepage   Email Daniel Schulz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Thomas Hauerslev
PTA wanted a VistaVision look, which is what he accomplished by making it 1,85:1, or close to that. The 70mm print we got here in DK was flawless, the 65mm stuff literally jumping of the screen. About 86% of "The Master" was shot on 65mm stock.
Seconding this (although I didn't know the part about VistaVision being the motivation behind the curious aspect ratio choice). The 70mm presentations in Los Angeles were stunning, both picture and sound.

Thomas Hauerslev
Master Film Handler

- posted 06-06-2017 04:44 AM      Profile for Thomas Hauerslev   Author's Homepage   Email Thomas Hauerslev   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
All you need to know about "The Master"

http://www.in70mm.com/library/film/the_master/index.htm

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: