Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » 35mm Optical Printer Projector Head Lubrication & Adjustments.

Author Topic: 35mm Optical Printer Projector Head Lubrication & Adjustments.
Robino Jones
Film Handler

- posted 04-06-2017 12:05 PM      Profile for Robino Jones   Email Robino Jones   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I purchased a Scheib 35mm Optical Printer Projector Head with a pin registered ACME style movement. I am converting it into a scanner. The mechanics are working but it needs a little bit of adjustment.

I cannot find any information about the “Scheib” projector head and I was wondering if I could get your professional opinions on what type of oils / greases to use for roller bearings and larger drive gears. (I have Moviola intermittent grease, maybe that could work on the larger gears? I also have Sewing machine oil that I use on my Moviolas.) It’s a chain drive, would you slightly lubricate the chains?

Another thing I need help with is how to adjust / tune the clutches. When I got the printer the feed roll was feeding film to slowly and the take up was pulling to hard on the film - I found that tightening the hex screw on the clutches increased the tension on the reel shafts and it made it a lot better but I really would like to understand what the springs are for and basically how to adjust them, I also read somewhere that the felt disc needed a little oil? Not sure if I read that correctly.

Click this link to view pictures (those dusty pictures are from 2 days ago - it's all shiny now)

Link removed by admin - offsite photos are not permitted. Upload photos here per site rules.

[ 04-06-2017, 01:10 PM: Message edited by: Brad Miller ]

|  IP: Logged

Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 04-06-2017 01:51 PM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The felt clutch discs on our Kelmar rewinders certainly need a little oil, to prevent them drying out and crumbling in the heat generated by the rotation of the plates either side of them. However, you have to be careful not to over oil them, or the oil goes flying all over the place, including onto the film.

Robino Jones
Film Handler

- posted 04-06-2017 02:46 PM      Profile for Robino Jones   Email Robino Jones   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Leo -

What kind of oil do you use for those?

Marcel Birgelen
Film God

- posted 04-06-2017 05:38 PM      Profile for Marcel Birgelen   Email Marcel Birgelen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Can you maybe upload the pictures to the site and repost them?

I think any generic light lube oil or grease will work fine. Some people can have an almost religious discussion about whether to use grease or oil. Generally, if it has a chance to escape, I'll use grease, because grease has the tendency to "stick" to the stuff it's applied to and usually doesn't slowly creep away. If it needs to go into hard to reach places, I usually use oil.

Robino Jones
Film Handler

- posted 04-06-2017 07:18 PM      Profile for Robino Jones   Email Robino Jones   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I just noticed the admin had removed the pictures link in the original post - Here are some pics.

Also to add to my initial post, this is not going to run very fast, maybe 6-12fps when scanning. The projector is pretty gutted in the pictures but you will get an idea.

-
 -
 -
 -
 -
 -
 -

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 04-17-2017 12:22 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Not to direct anyone away from this site, but there are multiple sites on Facebook with lots of lab and film restoration people that can tell you exactly how to maintain this...

Mark

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: