Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Star Wars: Rogue One 35mm?

Author Topic: Star Wars: Rogue One 35mm?
Neil Brimelow
Film Handler

- posted 04-02-2017 01:19 AM      Profile for Neil Brimelow   Author's Homepage   Email Neil Brimelow   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm just curious if Disney struck any 35mm prints for Rogue One a few months AFTER the digital-only initial release. The reason I ask is that I see a few drive ins that have Rogue One playing, and I'm pretty certain that they haven't upgraded to digital projection. [dlp]

|  IP: Logged

Jose Angel Velasco
Film Handler

- posted 04-02-2017 05:43 AM      Profile for Jose Angel Velasco   Author's Homepage   Email Jose Angel Velasco   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Projection in Bluray?

Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 04-02-2017 11:26 AM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
According to Amazon, it's not published on BD until Tuesday.

I would be very surprised if it's being officially distributed in alternative content form before its consumer market publication, given that this title is a high risk target for piracy. BDs can be ripped very easily. I'd speculate that 35mm is a lot more likely.

Julian Antos
Film Handler

- posted 04-02-2017 01:49 PM      Profile for Julian Antos   Email Julian Antos   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Which Drive Ins are playing it? Perhaps someone can go and check.

Dave Bird
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 04-02-2017 03:50 PM      Profile for Dave Bird   Author's Homepage   Email Dave Bird   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I can't speak for the U.S., however I'm not aware of any Canadian drive-ins still running 35mm. We're entering our 6th season with digital ourselves, most converted no more than a year or two after we did.

Rick Cohen
Expert Film Handler

- posted 04-02-2017 08:21 PM      Profile for Rick Cohen   Author's Homepage   Email Rick Cohen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Over 300 drive-ins have already been converted to digital projection, many of them for three years or more.

There are no 35mm Disney prints of anything, anywhere.

Daniel Schulz
Master Film Handler

- posted 04-03-2017 12:48 AM      Profile for Daniel Schulz   Author's Homepage   Email Daniel Schulz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Rick Cohen
There are no 35mm Disney prints of anything, anywhere.
I'm not sure about Rogue One, but there were definitely 35mm prints for The Force Awakens; it played in 35mm at the Vista Theater here in Los Angeles. The 35mm run was advertised as such, and was wildly popular, playing to sold out crowds. I knew quite a few people who went to see it there specifically to see a new Star Wars movie projected from film.

Rick Cohen
Expert Film Handler

- posted 04-09-2017 04:35 PM      Profile for Rick Cohen   Author's Homepage   Email Rick Cohen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The Vista Theatre was granted a 35mm print for Episode 7 on the request of someone very, very high up with LucasFilm. Rumor has it that it was none other than J.J. Abrams, the director/producer. It was specifically for that location, and that location only. No other cinemas were allowed access to that print, to the best of my knowledge, and all other regular cinemas were told that Episode 7 was a digital-only release.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: