Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Strong platter motor overhaul

Author Topic: Strong platter motor overhaul
Garry Knapp
Film Handler

- posted 03-12-2017 07:38 AM      Profile for Garry Knapp   Author's Homepage   Email Garry Knapp   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi guys
Has anyone rebuilt these? I'm looking for a source for the brushes, to start...
I'd love to chat with anyone who has tried working on these before... they seem simple enough...

|  IP: Logged

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 03-12-2017 09:52 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Try your local vacuum cleaner repair shop for the brushes. Also you will need to have the armature surfaced if it is grooved or pitted. The motors are available new through W.W. Grainger, but new ones have to be modified.

Mark

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 03-12-2017 09:54 AM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
An Ametek brand motor, as I recall.

Garry Knapp
Film Handler

- posted 03-12-2017 07:59 PM      Profile for Garry Knapp   Author's Homepage   Email Garry Knapp   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
these are made by LAMB
theres no markings beyond the branding on the rear casting.
I've managed to get everything down to the front spindle. Somehow there's a way to get the front shaft off. I thot it was thread-locked but heating doesn't release it. its held with a 1/8" deep-socket cap screw. I've twisted my allen key trying to get that puppy out...
this motor is making a lot of noise and i think its the rear bearing. Armature is slightly scored, but nothing major. Brushes appear to have lots of mileage left. going to replace rear bearing and try that first.

Tim Androes
Film Handler

- posted 03-13-2017 12:31 AM      Profile for Tim Androes   Email Tim Androes   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
brushes are available from grainger, they used to be #1R236 but the site says that item has been discontinued and replaced with #2UV81.

when you say spindle are you talking about the shaft that drives the platter motor wheel with the rubber tires? if so you use your allen wrench in the socket cap screw to hold the motor steady and then you unscrew the shaft from the motor with a gripping implement (pliers? carefully, they will score the shaft). there are two different size drive shafts available. all your motors should have the same size to work properly.

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 03-15-2017 05:42 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Grainger List Lamb motor Brushes

True, found out that a lot of numbers were changed. I used to buy dozens of 1R236 brushes.
quote: Tim Androes
there are two different size drive shafts available. all your motors should have the same size to work properly.
The older platter motors had a larger sleeve on it since they rotated slower than the newer ones with the thin sleeve.

I used to grip the sleeve close to the motors housing with pliers when using that 1/8" allen to loosen up and not worrying on scoring the section of the sleeve that rides on the tires.

In 2004, I did this pict show and tell on how to rebuild these motors.

http://www.film-tech.com/warehouse/wareview.php?id=1515&category=5

Jeremy Weigel
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-15-2017 08:34 PM      Profile for Jeremy Weigel   Email Jeremy Weigel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Gary are you still looking for motor brushes? I have 10- New Strong Alpha Platter Motor Brushes Grainger #33308 $8ea or $70 for all. Message me if interested.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: