Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Need help burning a DTS disc for 70mm

Author Topic: Need help burning a DTS disc for 70mm
Dan Cofer
Film Handler

- posted 01-13-2017 01:32 PM      Profile for Dan Cofer   Email Dan Cofer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We have a bad disc that our XD10 won't copy all the files from. We can copy all the files from the bad disc to a computer but aren't having any luck burning them to another disc that the processor will read. Has anyone done this before? I'm guessing that we need to have the new disc formatted correctly but don't know what that format would be.

Any help?

thanks

|  IP: Logged

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 01-13-2017 04:47 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ive burnt DTS discs before without issues using a disc copy command being the content is MsDOS.

Yet, I used the original disc to use these with being that the boot record is on the original CD.

Yet, this was for 35mm.

May need the boot record for all of it to work.

Randy Stankey
Film God

- posted 01-13-2017 06:24 PM      Profile for Randy Stankey   Email Randy Stankey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Don't copy file by file. Clone the disk, instead.

Copy the entire disk to an ISO image the burn that image back to a new CD-ROM.

Also, try to use azure-blue CDs instead of the pukey green ones. They work better, especially in older drives.

Sascha F. Roll
Expert Film Handler

- posted 01-13-2017 07:23 PM      Profile for Sascha F. Roll   Email Sascha F. Roll   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You can also copy the files, doesn't matter.
Copy the DTS.EXE in the root directory, create a folder called "DTS" and copy the *.AUD-files in there, voila.

Use good quality CDs and don't burn with the highest possible speed.

Stephan Shelley
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 01-13-2017 07:55 PM      Profile for Stephan Shelley   Email Stephan Shelley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
As it is an XD-10 you can copy the files to a fat 32 thumb drive and load that way. Have them in a DTS folder on the drive. Put *.aud files from all the disks.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 01-13-2017 08:37 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
This will show you the basic layout.

Randy Stankey
Film God

- posted 01-14-2017 12:41 AM      Profile for Randy Stankey   Email Randy Stankey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I still stand by cloning over copying.

OS X can do it right from Disk utility.

No farting around.
No forgetting where the files go.
No worrying about the possibility of hidden/invisible files.

Just rip the image to your hard drive then burn it to a disk.
Easy Peasy!

Once you have the image ripped, you can compress it, you can e-mail it or you can archive it in case you need it later.

I'm sure that Windows 10 can do it if you look for it.

Jack Ondracek
Film God

- posted 01-14-2017 01:25 AM      Profile for Jack Ondracek   Author's Homepage   Email Jack Ondracek   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Randy Stankey
I still stand by cloning over copying.
OK, but if the original doesn't work, why would a clone be any better?

Randy Stankey
Film God

- posted 01-14-2017 02:24 AM      Profile for Randy Stankey   Email Randy Stankey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If the original doesn't work, there isn't any guarantee that you won't copy a corrupt file, either.

I don't care what files are on the disk or what directories they are stored in. I just want to copy the disk.

Jim Cassedy
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 01-14-2017 10:37 AM      Profile for Jim Cassedy   Email Jim Cassedy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Jack Ondracek
OK, but if the original doesn't work, why would a clone be any better?
Some copying software or hardware might be able to recover bad data.

For example, I have a separate, stand alone disk copier.
When it encounters a difficult-to-copy disk, due to dirt or
scratches,etc, it slows down and repeatedly re-tries to copy the 'bad'
data,until it gets it right. Of course, if the disk is extremely badly
damaged it will eventually give up trying, or you can opt to just
continue copying the rest of the disk without the bad data sector(s).

This, of course, would not work for DTS, but in the case of photos
or individual files of other data, you can sometimes getaway with
doing that. However, I had great success, on more than one occasion,
with copying DTS disks that would not play due to getting scratched-up,
or in one case completely cracked, during shipping and which would not
play in the DTS drive.

Otherwise I would have had to wait for new disks to get shipped.

Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 01-14-2017 12:23 PM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If any of the .aud files on the actual disc are bad (for example, if chemical decomposition and/or label rot has actually affected the layer carrying the data pits), then it doesn't matter whether you copy the files or clone the disc: the affected files will still fail verification on ingestion. As Randy noted, a copy of a corrupt file is still a corrupt file, and the first law of computing will still apply to any attempt to ingest it.

It may be that a slight scratch or bit of crud means that the XD-10 won't read the disc but a more recent optical drive in a PC will. If that's the case, copy the "DTS" folder from the disc (if it's a single DVD), or combine the contents of the DTS folder from all the discs in the case of a CD set, onto a freshly formatted, FAT32 flash drive (with a MBR partition table and no other partitions on the drive - a flash stick bought from Office Depot with an EFI partition on it probably won't work in a XD-10 unless you nuke the partition table and start over), and ingest using the USB jack on the front of your XD-10. Ignore the dts.exe file - the XD players don't need it, and ignore it. This has worked for me, with 10s and 20s, many times.

Incidentally, you do need the dts.exe file if you're using a 6D player. If that's the case, put it on the CD you burn for it as described by Sascha.

If your disc really is bad, let me know what title and what mix (5.1, Todd-AO special venue 6-track, or in the case of Lawrence of Arabia, the Baby Boom mix if you want that) you want. I have the DTS audio from most of the 70mm classics archived and would be happy to put it up for you to download.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: