Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Dunkirk in 70MM

Author Topic: Dunkirk in 70MM
Geoff Jones
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 12-29-2016 07:26 PM      Profile for Geoff Jones   Author's Homepage   Email Geoff Jones   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The Cine Capri at Harkins Northfield has become my go-to screen in Colorado. If a movie I want to see is playing there, that's where I'll see it, despite at least a half dozen closer locations.

The constant height screen is somewhere between 70 and 80' wide. They project exclusively in 2D and the image is 4k when available, with no stray light or marks on the screen. At showtime they close the curtain and reopen it for the trailers and feature. The auditorium is Atmos equipped and sounds pretty good though not perfect. (Bass isn't as natural as I would like... and when you've seen films at the Stag theater on Skywalker ranch, the bar is pretty high.)

Anyway, as I was watching the Dunkirk preview in front of Rogue One, I got to thinking, I sure wish I could see Dunkirk in 70MM on this screen.

I thought it might make sense to be proactive and appeal to them about it (and with more than half a year's notice!). I don't really believe it will happen, but who knows, maybe my letter will make a difference. Here's what I wrote:

quote:
Please install 70MM projectors in the Northfield Cine Capri so that you can show Dunkirk in 70MM next summer. This premium format is superior to digital and film fans seek out 70MM showings whenever possible.

In recent years, many, many websites directed moviegoers to 70MM engagements of films like Interstellar, Batman v Superman, The Hateful Eight, and Fantastic Beasts. This free advertising will bring crowds to your theater from all over Colorado.

More 70MM releases are on the way, including Branagh’s Murder on the Orient Express and Star Wars IX. A 70MM installation could even be used for classic 70MM showings during slow times of the year, much like Seattle’s Cinerama theatre.

Last year I attended a sold-out 70MM showing of The Hateful Eight at the Continental. I will go wherever I must to see Dunkirk in 70MM, but I would prefer it to be on your magnificent Cine Capri screen.

I have to admit, it was nice to write a positive letter to a theater for a change. [Wink]

This is the reply I got:

quote:
Dear Mr. Jones,

Thank you for reaching out with your suggestion to bring 70mm projectors to our theatre in Colorado; we always appreciate hearing from our guests.

We have forwarded your recommendation to the correct departments for consideration.

Have a wonderful evening, thank you for choosing Harkins Theatres!

If I hear anything else from them, I'll reply to this thread, and if anyone else in the area wants to add his or her voice, have at it:

http://www.harkinstheatres.com/contact.aspx

|  IP: Logged

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 12-29-2016 09:15 PM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I made a similar request and inquiry regarding 70mm projection of The Hateful Eight on the Harkins Cine Capri screen in Oklahoma City. Harkins didn't want to bother with that project and it seems (very unfortunately) that AMC jumped on board, hoarding most of the 70mm engagements. So I ended up watching that Ultra Panavision filmed movie on a stupid HDTV-shaped common width screen. 70mm would have been so much better on the Cine Capri screen.

I agree about the lack of bass at the Cine Capri theater. I've visited that one in Colorado before, but have been to the one in Oklahoma City far more often. Even though the bass is lacking, the Atmos surround quality is better than other Atmos theaters I've visited. Movies like Gravity and The Edge of Tomorrow sounded awesome there.

Geoff Jones
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 12-30-2016 07:47 AM      Profile for Geoff Jones   Author's Homepage   Email Geoff Jones   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Send 'em another request for OKC, Bobby! If they hear from enough people, maybe it will make a difference.

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 12-30-2016 11:21 AM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Harkins did play H8 in 70mm at one of their Arizona locations. Rumor has it that they damaged the print (by how much, I don't know).

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 12-30-2016 01:32 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'd drive over to Denver to see it there. But I'm not going to some shitty theater in Vegas like they did with Hateful 8.

Mark

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: