Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » DA20 to a CP65

Author Topic: DA20 to a CP65
Garry Knapp
Film Handler

- posted 12-19-2016 04:22 AM      Profile for Garry Knapp   Author's Homepage   Email Garry Knapp   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi again [Smile]
I am finally connecting up my audio and was wondering if anyone runs a similar setup. I am making up the cable to run from the digital reader. The Dolby manuals are a tad confusing when it comes to the molex wiring sequence. Can anyone clarify this for me?

|  IP: Logged

Fredrik Sandstrom
Film Handler

- posted 12-19-2016 05:11 AM      Profile for Fredrik Sandstrom   Email Fredrik Sandstrom   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I find section 2.3 (Making a Custom Video Cable) in the DA20 manual pretty straightforward. Can you be more specific on what is unclear to you?

That said, I have never made these cables myself, only used ready made ones from Dolby. I would suggest you do that too; ask cinemas in your area that have abandoned film, they might have them lying around.

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 12-19-2016 06:25 AM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've made a ton of them and didn't find the Dolby instructions confusing. There is one pair on the molex end that the wires are not all together such that in the middle of the molex connector you have a red and blue wire next to each other. That is the "trick"."

Do you have ready access to Belden 8164 (or its equivalents)? That is what would slow us down from making many more. It is not a normal stock cable so we had to buy it by the spool. We aren't going to buy 500-feet to make the odd 30-footish cable.

Garry Knapp
Film Handler

- posted 12-21-2016 06:03 AM      Profile for Garry Knapp   Author's Homepage   Email Garry Knapp   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
hi [Smile] thank you for your help
I am looking at 2-7 and 2-8 in the DA20 install manual.
Looking at the diagram 11 on 2-7, wires are arranged differently than in the wiring chart on 2-8.
going from 12 back - the first 6 are correct and the last 6 are weird. and the chart sequence is a little confusing too...
1,2,6,3,4,5,7,8,9,10,11,12?
And yes, I have the spec'd belkin wire. I found 10ft of it on ebay.

Kristo Nalo
Film Handler

- posted 01-03-2017 05:56 AM      Profile for Kristo Nalo   Email Kristo Nalo   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Steve has much more experience than me and I learned from here response too. Thank you Steve.

Garry Knapp
Film Handler

- posted 01-08-2017 06:26 PM      Profile for Garry Knapp   Author's Homepage   Email Garry Knapp   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So far it's going good. my next question is,
what is pin 1 on the CAT645R board?
I would assume its the one closest to the edge but i would rather not assume.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: