Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Size of backing lens for particular size scope picture

Author Topic: Size of backing lens for particular size scope picture
Ian Griggs
Film Handler

- posted 11-04-2016 03:05 AM      Profile for Ian Griggs   Email Ian Griggs   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi everyone.
Is there a formula somewhere which gives the correct focal length for a backing lens to give a particular image size?
My problem is that my home situation only allows me an image 1600mm wide. This is OK for 4:3 or WS images using an 85mm lens.
However I want to run scope and my longest lens is 90mm which gives a scope picture 2400 wide - way off each side of the screen.
I expect that I need something in the order of 120mm or 130mm, but is there a formula which can give me the answer? Trial and error is not an option as the Schneider Kreuznach long throw lenses are extremely expensive. I expect you will say "get a bigger screen" ha but that's not possible either. The anamorphic I am using is a Schneider Kreuznach 2/85mm and the throw is 7.2m. Many thanks!

|  IP: Logged

Peter Foyster
Expert Film Handler

- posted 11-04-2016 05:45 AM      Profile for Peter Foyster   Email Peter Foyster   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Download LENS CALCULATOR from the warehouse.
You will need an older version of Windows to run it though.

I keep an old laptop with XP on it for that purpose.

Randy Stankey
Film God

- posted 11-04-2016 01:49 PM      Profile for Randy Stankey   Email Randy Stankey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's 8th grade algebra. [Wink]

Focal length / size of image on film = throw / size of image on screen.

Keep your units consistent.
Don't forget to apply your anamorphic squeeze/stretch factor.

You can do this with a pencil and paper.

One time, I was even able to use this formula plus a little trigonometry to look at an old photograph and determine the exact location where the photographer was standing when he took the picture. (For historical research.) [Smile]

Computer programs are nice and convenient but I still suggest that, even when using a program, a person understand the concepts and formulas behind the calculations.

What if your computer doesn't work or, as mentioned above, the computer doesn't have the right software or operating system? You'd be screwed if you didn't have a way to do it without a computer.

Ed Inman
Expert Film Handler

- posted 11-04-2016 04:56 PM      Profile for Ed Inman   Author's Homepage   Email Ed Inman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I wouldn't spend a fortune on lenses just to fill a 5-foot screen. There's a long old Super-Lite 6 1/4 inch (roughly 160mm) lens from Peru on ebay right now for about 20 bucks and if you are patient you can probably find some cheaper than that. I once got a whole box of old inch-style prime lenses in varying focal lengths for about $15.

Ian Griggs
Film Handler

- posted 11-04-2016 06:13 PM      Profile for Ian Griggs   Email Ian Griggs   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you everyone for the suggestions
Yes Ed, there are two Super-Lites on at the moment. However, trying to mount the Schneider anamorphic on the front might be a problem. Although luckily, the two diameters are not far apart. The anamorphic thread 68mm - the Super-Lite front 71mm. We shall see.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: