Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Film Take-Up mechanical clutch problems on an FP20 (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Film Take-Up mechanical clutch problems on an FP20
Ian Griggs
Film Handler

- posted 10-15-2016 12:03 AM      Profile for Ian Griggs   Email Ian Griggs   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Now we've got the threading issue out of the way (thanks, Steve and others), can anyone help with the set-up of the mechanical take up clutch?
My machine would never have run spools, so the feed clutch and take up clutch would be virgin as it were.
As per the manual, I took the disc out, but not having any of the oil they specified, I washed it in kerosene then dried and put it back. But no matter where I set it(tight, loose, middling) I still can't get the film to take up smoothly without loose loops forming.
After a while (and a bit of help by me turning the spool), it comes good.
Hoping someone knows the exact trick with these.
My old 1940s machines never had this trouble! Many thanks, all.

-

|  IP: Logged

Dave Macaulay
Film God

- posted 10-15-2016 06:57 AM      Profile for Dave Macaulay   Email Dave Macaulay   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What diameter reel hubs do you use? That is a large sprocket, maybe it expects a lafge hub... measure free running rpm and see what minimum diameter it needs for 90 ft/sec.

Steve McAndrew
Film Handler

- posted 10-15-2016 07:16 AM      Profile for Steve McAndrew   Email Steve McAndrew   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi

I had the same problem with my FP20 when I was using 2000ft reels. Using a reel with a large hub solves this problem.

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 10-15-2016 01:38 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That sprocket should handle 5" hubs but it will NOT handle 4" shippers or cores.

Kinoton recommends "Cardan" oil which is a thick viscous stuff that pours like honey. Honestly, it feels like STP.

If you go that route, it is not unusual to have to press it out a bit and that after you set clutch tension (just strong enough to turn a full reel without bouncing)..that within a week's normal usage to have to readjust (increase) as some of the oil will have seeped out (pressed out).

Ian Griggs
Film Handler

- posted 10-15-2016 09:30 PM      Profile for Ian Griggs   Email Ian Griggs   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That's interesting thanks guys! And Steve, that's good too - this is why after a little while, it comes good as the diameter has increased with film.

Steve McAndrew
Film Handler

- posted 10-16-2016 01:24 AM      Profile for Steve McAndrew   Email Steve McAndrew   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I had a quick Google for Cardan Oil, don't get many results here in the UK. Do we think that SAE90 Gearbox oil is similar stuff?

While on the subject of making FP20s work again, can anyone advise on the part numbers of the lens turret belts and where I might get them?

Thanks

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 10-16-2016 10:36 AM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It is even thicker. It is on the order of SAE 140 weight.

As for belts and things. Have you tried contacting Kinoton Digital Solutions? They are still supplying parts.

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 10-16-2016 06:19 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
i use the SAE90 outboard gear oil that also is motiograph intermitent oil in the fp20's i still look after

Steve McAndrew
Film Handler

- posted 10-17-2016 03:08 AM      Profile for Steve McAndrew   Email Steve McAndrew   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Do do you just soak the felt discs in the oil?

Ian Griggs
Film Handler

- posted 10-17-2016 03:15 AM      Profile for Ian Griggs   Email Ian Griggs   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
From the FP30E Manual:

6.4.10 Changing and Lubricating the Felt Disks of the Mechanical Friction Drives
• Remove the knurled nut, spring,
friction plate and the felt disk on the
friction shaft (arrow).
• Once in a year the felt disk should
be put in a Cardan oil bath. If the felt
disk is worn (surface is hardened) it
has to be changed and oiled.
• Mount the friction again.

Simon Wyss
Film Handler

- posted 10-17-2016 04:00 AM      Profile for Simon Wyss   Email Simon Wyss   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Once you have lubricated that felt pad with grease or heavy oil, it can be run dry as well under the condition that the faces in contact with the felt are polished smooth, there remains the geometric problem of large portions.

It’s almost impossible to adjust a friction for 6000-ft reels so that you have satisfactory winding and no film damage. At the beginning the strong torque will almost rip the film over the sprocket drum and towards the end it will not suffice when set lighter. That’s why motor drives were introduced.

For 2000-ft reels it can be done comparatively easily. Make sure you use 5-inch hub reels throughout.

One last technical detail: Use sprocket drums with wide teeth for ISO 491 BH*, KS** or DH*** type perforation. CinemaScope toothing is only advised for ISO 491 AC**** type perforation. We have compatibility to some extent but the holes and teeth are narrower and what counts also, the spacing between the two hole/teeth rows is different.

*Bell & Howell, rounded flanks, straight top and bottom sides
**Kodak Standard, straight sides, rounded corners
***Dubray-Howell, straight sides, rounded corners
****American CinemaScope, straight sides, rounded corners

Rob J. Buskop
Expert Film Handler

- posted 10-17-2016 11:51 AM      Profile for Rob J. Buskop   Email Rob J. Buskop   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There are two factors that, if adhered to, will let the FP-20 start very nicely with a standard 6000 ft. reel.
O.K. The matter of the friction of the take-up spool: The felt ring has indeed to be treated with "cardan"oil. This is a European term and seems to be misunderstood in the U.S. It is the oil that you put in the differential of your car. It's diff oil, that has that peculiar strong smell. Any garage can supply you with a bit if you bring a small jar!
The second thing to consider is the time factor for the motor to rev up. Philips has installed a number of electrolytic capacitors, often found mounted in the door, that allows you to
alter the capacitance of the starter circuit in the motor. The lower the capacitance, the slower the start. You can get it just right for a 6000 ft. reel. With the friction correctly adjusted and the motor set up for a somewhat soft start all will be perfect!
To conclude this, I'll give away a secret to make your FP-20 run more quietly.... I suppose it's not been modified and still has the original motor with the V-belt drive, right? Well, get yourself a good quality silicon rubber O-ring. A fat one, with
an approximate thickness of 6 millimeter, to replace the belt.
The result will surprise you! The elasticity of the O-ring absorbs a good part of the intermittent shock-load, which does'nt
happen with the normal V-belt. As said: The result will amaze you!
Finally: The cross mechanism. It needs Shell Tellus 37. This is a low viscosity, ATF-like oil. That's what is prescribed.
Succes!
Rob J. Buskop.

Mitchell Dvoskin
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 10-17-2016 02:19 PM      Profile for Mitchell Dvoskin   Email Mitchell Dvoskin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It needs Shell Tellus 37 no longer exists. Is there a current equivalent?

Steve McAndrew
Film Handler

- posted 10-17-2016 03:38 PM      Profile for Steve McAndrew   Email Steve McAndrew   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You can get this in the UK...

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Shell-Tellus-37-Equivalent-Hydraulic-Oil-5L-ISO-37-Westway-Lubricants-/111729963522?hash=item1a039ff202:g:JuAAAOSwX~dWls0r

Rob J. Buskop
Expert Film Handler

- posted 10-18-2016 07:20 AM      Profile for Rob J. Buskop   Email Rob J. Buskop   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Here's another supplier that seems to sell a substitute in 1 litre containers.
http://www.alexoil.co.uk/shell-pre-iso-iso-lubron-oil-reference-guide_c123.aspx
It'll be a useful equivalent.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: