Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Tell Me About My False Ceiling!

Author Topic: Tell Me About My False Ceiling!
Steve Kraus
Film God

- posted 10-09-2016 12:19 PM      Profile for Steve Kraus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My booth has an ordinary suspended false ceiling with tiles fitting in a grid. I'm doing something above it all the time.

My screening room's ceiling, however, is the gridless design you see in these photos. In all the years I've had the screening room I have never had a need to do anything above it and consequently I don't know how it works. How do you pop open a tile or can you even? I do know it is a false ceiling and not just tiles glued to a surface because I can push up and the entire area rises an inch or two with no disruption of the individual tile I pushed on.

-

-

The reason for the question is that my building is putting in fire suppression sprinkers. Work has been going on over the last few years and I was recently given notice that my floor is due for the work soon. The contractor says it would be almost impossible to run pipes above the ceiling and one can no longer get those kind of tiles. (The screening room was built in 1985.) The plan is to run a couple of pipes out from the booth just under the ceiling, paint it to match, and call it a day.

That might in fact be a good plan. But thought I would look into the situation first. Plus there may come a time when I have need for additional cables or some other reason to get above that ceiling so it would be good to know in general.

PS: Not sure if this is the best forum for this but no offense taken if a moderator sees fit to move it.

|  IP: Logged

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 10-09-2016 01:35 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Those look like interlocking tiles. There's probably a grid made from 1x4s they are attached to. My old bedroom ceiling at Mom's house looks just like that. You can't really take one tile out since they all fit into slots on the neighboring tile.

Steve Kraus
Film God

- posted 10-09-2016 04:59 PM      Profile for Steve Kraus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, most likely. I think I should make an exploratory opening from above the booth to see exactly what's up there. Interlocking tiles are supposed to have one or more removable and others can be slid that way. But probably too much trouble for the sprinkler people.

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 10-09-2016 05:42 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
mostlikely they are glued to a layer of drywall above it
virtually impossible to work above but there may be a access hatch

Dave Macaulay
Film God

- posted 10-09-2016 05:46 PM      Profile for Dave Macaulay   Email Dave Macaulay   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This is usually done because there's very limited space above the ceiling, but you have pot lights so there's at least the height for them. They can attach to light wood (1x2 is about minimum) strips at 1' spacing (assuming 1' tiles!) and they interlock like plywood sheething: one edge of a row is stapled to the wood and the next row locks into it, hiding the staples. The moulding around the walls hides the first and last rows of staples. The strapping is usually rigidly mounted but I suppose you could use wire hangers.
You could rip them down and install T-bar tiles, but might not have enough clearance to get them in.
I had them in a finished basement. You can cut out tiles and then reattach them with staples or brads but it is never invisible.

Randy Stankey
Film God

- posted 10-09-2016 05:49 PM      Profile for Randy Stankey   Email Randy Stankey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Dave Macaulay
they interlock like plywood sheething: one edge of a row is stapled to the wood and the next row locks into it, hiding the staples
Similar to a hardwood floor, except upside down?

Richard Fowler
Film God

- posted 10-09-2016 05:50 PM      Profile for Richard Fowler   Email Richard Fowler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Old Celotex interlocking tile, if not glued to the ceiling can usually be taken apart starting from the corners of the room and worked out puzzle like. They where the bane of many a Musak background music installation crew.

Frank Cox
Film God

- posted 10-09-2016 07:33 PM      Profile for Frank Cox   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Cox   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If there is space above the tiles that you can access from above or from the next room, or even from a corner, you might be able to fish your new fittings through over the tiles in place. For example, what if you removed the the pot lights temporarily? Now you have small access holes to work through.

Steve Kraus
Film God

- posted 10-10-2016 12:19 AM      Profile for Steve Kraus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It wouldn't be me. It's a sprinkler installation crew. Of course even if they mount below the ceiling they'll have to do something about the hangers. I can see why they would not like to dismantle lots of tiles to run the pipes above it.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: