Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » There's a Brand New 70mm Print of "2001" BUT . . . (Page 1)

This topic comprises 7 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7 

Author Topic: There's a Brand New 70mm Print of "2001" BUT . . .
Mark Ogden
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 10-06-2016 12:46 PM      Profile for Mark Ogden   Email Mark Ogden   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
. . . only Leo gets to run it. Ha! [thumbsup]

[URL=http://www.latimes.com/entertainment/movies/la-et-mn-american-cinematheque-2001-a-space-odyssey-20161006-snap-story.html]http://www.latimes.com/entertainment/movies/la-et-mn-american-cinematheque-2001-a-space-odyssey-20161006-snap-story.html[/UR L]

As part of the ongoing Beyond Fest, on Sunday night “2001: A Space Odyssey” will show at the Egyptian Theater in Hollywood with actors Keir Dullea and Gary Lockwood in attendance. And while that is cause enough for excitement among movie fans, it is possible the real star of the evening could be the physical print of the movie itself.

The event will be the debut screening for a new 70-mm print that the American Cinematheque will have exclusive exhibition rights to in a five-year deal with Warner Brothers. The Cinematheque will schedule two extended runs for the print per year, one at the Egyptian and one at the Aero Theatre in Santa Monica.

Though Sunday night’s event is already sold out, the print will screen again in December when it receives a run at the Egyptian on Dec. 9, 10, 11, 16, 17, 18, 26 and 27.

“We have to show ‘2001’ at each theater at least once a year,” said Cinematheque programmer Gwen Deglise in a statement. “It is one of our most requested titles. Our patrons tell us they want to see it as the director intended, in 70 mm. We decided we needed a new print to satisfy the interest in this title and to insure that viewing it was a satisfying experience.”

As digital projection has become the norm for commercial exhibition, many cinema fans have struck up a renewed excitement at seeing film prints, especially in a city like Los Angeles, with multiple venues still capable of film projection. Many filmmakers themselves have taken a stand not just about shooting on film but regarding how their movies are shown as well. Recently filmmakers Quentin Tarantino with “The Hateful Eight,” Christopher Nolan with “Interstellar” and Paul Thomas Anderson with “The Master” have all had their movies shown in 70 mm.

“Our audience has a keen interest in film prints,” said Grant Moninger, a programmer with both the American Cinematheque and Beyond Fest in a statement. “It matters to them whether they see a film on 35 mm vs. 70 mm or digital. If you haven’t seen ‘2001’ in 70 mm you have not seen the film.”

Directed by Stanley Kubrick, who co-wrote the screenplay with science fiction author Arthur C. Clark, “2001: A Space Odyssey” is generally considered among the greatest films ever made, part philosophical poem, part space adventure tale. Its technical achievements are still a cause of wonder as its deep-rooted questions about the nature of humanity and our place in the universe maintain their enigmatic pull.

The film won the 1969 Academy Award for special visual effects, and was also nominated for directing, art direction and writing. It is on the National Film Registry of the Library of Congress.

For more information, go to americancinematheque.com.

|  IP: Logged

Steve Kraus
Film God

- posted 10-06-2016 01:22 PM      Profile for Steve Kraus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I trust that the exclusivity applies to that print only (which they will presumably hold on to) and does not mean that other venues won't be able to book the title in 70mm.

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 10-06-2016 02:03 PM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mag or DTS?

Regardless, it is probably a good thing that there will be at least one venue where people can go to see a mint 70mm print of this title. At this point, there are probably fewer than a dozen venues in the US that have the equipment and personnel to handle 70mm correctly. If this print were in general circulation, it would probably be trashed pretty quickly, unfortunately. [Frown]

Sean Weitzel
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 10-06-2016 03:04 PM      Profile for Sean Weitzel   Email Sean Weitzel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mag striping hasn't been available in years. I'm of the belief that the mag print of Tron that was struck in 1999 was probably one of the last. One other question I have is does anyone know how many existing 70mm prints of 2001 were or are in circulation and approximately when were they struck? The only one I know for sure was a magnetic one struck in 1995.

Scott Norwood
Film God

- posted 10-06-2016 03:38 PM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There were mag prints of Lawrence in 2002. Beyond that, I do not know of any.

Two prints of 2001 have passed through here in the last year or so: a format 41 mag print from the '90s and a DTS print from the mid-2000s.

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 10-06-2016 04:27 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The AFI/Silver just ran a 70mm DTS print of 2001 that was struck in 2014 and it is said it looked VERY GOOD. They too had the stars in attendance for a Q&A after the show.

There are three DTS soundtracks for 2001. The original 6-track, the 5.1 (which is what was shipped with the print) and an 8-channel that is a morph of the two previous versions. It has 5-across, 2 surrounds and subwoofer. I have NOT heard the 8-channel one to know just how it was handled. The XD-10 players at the AFI could have handled it though. Essentially it would work for a normal 5.1 system but with LC/RC on the extra two channels and coming out of the LC/RC outputs. Normally, the 6-channel versions use Ls/Rs outputs for LC/RC and the Subwoofer output becomes Mono Surround. This is a carryover from the DTS6-SV days. The disc is supposed to be silk-screened with the channel configuration. The AFI ran the 6-channel version as that would be historically accurate.

Daniel Schulz
Master Film Handler

- posted 10-06-2016 05:14 PM      Profile for Daniel Schulz   Author's Homepage   Email Daniel Schulz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Steve Guttag
There are three DTS soundtracks for 2001. The original 6-track, the 5.1 (which is what was shipped with the print) and an 8-channel that is a morph of the two previous versions. It has 5-across, 2 surrounds and subwoofer. I have NOT heard the 8-channel one to know just how it was handled.
The 8 channel disc contains exactly the same mix as the 6 channel disc; it's just configured for the XD10 so that theaters can wire up using the labeled outputs on the XD10 and not have to re-patch every time they switch between 5.1 and 8.0. There are 5 screen channels and a mono surround channel (the Ls and Rs contain the same information), and the LFE channel is silent.

Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 10-06-2016 06:24 PM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It'll play in 5.1 DTS on Sunday, and that's the only audio FotoKem have given us. If there is a special venue mix, and especially if that's more authentic to the 1968 presentations, I'd love to have it. We have XD-20s feeding an AP20, so the switch between 5.1 and special venue is as easy as setting up another channel routing profile in the AP20.

We did a full rehearsal screening for Cinematheque staff last week, and it looks wonderful. Very slight graininess for 1960s authenticity, but very sharp and the color is great.

I'm a little nervous about Sunday: the last time we played 2001 in 70mm, it didn't end well! Hopefully we won't have to call on any of our customers to play bouncer during the psychadelic freakout / Ligeti molesting your eardrums reel this time.

Kudos is also due to my boss at the Cinematheque for agreeing to my request to schedule two projectionists, so we can cross check our cleaning and threading and make sure that the print stays spotless. Some of the reels are as short as 11 minutes, so we'll be getting a bit of a workout.

We're sold out for Sunday - sorry - though there may be a standby line. As the article says, there will be a week of screenings at the Egyptian and another at the Aero towards the end of the year, so hopefully everyone who wants to will have a chance to see it before too long.

Steve - as far as I'm aware, the five year exclusive deal applies to this print only, given that the Cinematheque paid for it. I don't know of any restriction on the others out there. All I do know is that the few remaining other ones are so difficult to get hold of, that we repeatedly weren't able to do so: it was either a case of playing the sh!tty 77GB DCP, or not playing the show at all. That DCP is so bad that our programmers decided that we can't play it (a decision I totally support). That was really why our programmers did this deal with Warners, whereby we'd front the cost of the new print, in exchange for an exclusive time window to make that cost back. As far as I know, there are no more restrictions on the others than there are already.

Aron Toplitsky
Expert Film Handler

- posted 10-07-2016 12:14 AM      Profile for Aron Toplitsky   Email Aron Toplitsky   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This is GREAT news! Guess I will be getting some folks together for this hopefully in December.

Saw The Master in 70MM at The Egyptian a few weeks ago and it looked great!

Leo I was told by Grant that the new 4K Ben Hur looks great. I saw it at The Egyptian a few years back and I think it was a 2K DCP. I have to honestly say, I was not impressed. Unfortunately I just missed the latest showing.

Any possibility the studio may one day create a new 70MM print for Ben Hur? That would be awesome!

Buck Wilson
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 10-07-2016 12:53 AM      Profile for Buck Wilson   Email Buck Wilson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This is fantastic! Glad to know it's possible.

Wonder how much that cost....

Carsten Kurz
Film God

- posted 10-07-2016 06:57 AM      Profile for Carsten Kurz   Email Carsten Kurz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Is there any information about the source of this print, it's production process, master, etc.?

- Carsten

Terry Monohan
Master Film Handler

- posted 10-07-2016 10:09 AM      Profile for Terry Monohan   Email Terry Monohan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Great news for the Egyptian Hollywood Theatre. The remodel done many years ago has left this once big 70mm cinema with a way smaller screen and not curved and the curtains have not been replaced. I loved the D-150 screen that they had near the end before the earthquake did the place in. Have the curved screen up for 6 months a year and put in a flat one for all the classics they show with proper masking during the rest of the year. This will please everyone. Lets hope they can get sponsor funding to re do some of the other classic 70mm prints like the Todd-AO's 70mm Around The World In 80 Days, and the many true 70mm musical roadshow movies of that time that have been out of print or now on the red tint side. Maybe someone with big cash flow that likes showmanship and 70mm or 35mm CinemaScope film will try to put back a semi curved screen, re bulb back the nice color lights in the ceiling and sides, replace the curtains with up and down waterfall drapes. A few years ago a friend of mine Steve M at THS offered them a set of nice used clean curtains and they refused them for free. Management said they had no room on the sides. In this case put the ones in that go up. Seems like at all the 70mm film festivals that show up each year around the world the same old 70mm prints are shown all the time. Many are not in the best of shape these days. Hope they can restore some that have been lost over the years. The main thing the classic Egyptian Theatre needs to do before the next tourist season 2017 starts is put back some sort of front neon marquee on Hollywood Blvd. So many tourists go walking past the locked gates or for court and have no idea what the place is and what is showing and times also try to get the fountains working again and fix the leak. Bring on 70mm film and advertise It for a new generation to enjoy at the old UA Egyptian Hollywood Theatre. With the new money they just received on some fix ups maybe some can be used for some of the things I have mentioned and more 70mm restorations.

Scott Norwood
Film God

- posted 10-07-2016 01:43 PM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Question for Daniel:

To confirm, disks labelled as "70mm 6 track L LS C RS R SW LC RC" have the proper XD10/XD20 channel assignments? And the disks labelled "70mm 6 track L LC C RC R Surr." have the special venue channel assignments? The former is definitely correct for the Somerville installation (XD20 with CP200 with five screen channels), whereas the latter has the wrong channel assignments.

Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 10-07-2016 03:57 PM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Aron Toplitsky
Leo I was told by Grant that the new 4K Ben Hur looks great. I saw it at The Egyptian a few years back and I think it was a 2K DCP. I have to honestly say, I was not impressed. Unfortunately I just missed the latest showing.
I'm guessing that what you saw was the 4K DCP played on our 2K projector - we only got a 4K digital projector for the main house at the Egyptian in June. It did play in 4K on September 18 (same DCP, different projector), and I could see a difference: scanned film grain was clearly visible, and the focus in the low depth of field shots (e.g. closeups) seemed to pop out a little more, too.

quote: Aron Toplitsky
Any possibility the studio may one day create a new 70MM print for Ben Hur? That would be awesome!
My understanding is that the restoration workflow was totally digital, starting with scanning the camera negative. If so, you'd need to filmout to a 65mm IN in order to make 5/70 prints. This can be done, but I'm not aware of having seen any 70mm prints made this way.

Incidentally, the only 70mm print of this title that we were able to find is in Australia, slightly faded and unsqueezed and cropped to 2.2:1, so therefore they decided that the DCP is probably the better bet, given a choice between those two. Unlike the 2001 DCP, this one looks pretty good.

quote: Buck Wilson
Wonder how much that cost....
A little over $18k.

quote: Carsten Kurz
Is there any information about the source of this print, it's production process, master, etc.?
Can't tell you definitively, but am guessing that it was a straight contact print from an IN produced from the 2001 restoration - the same one from which the 70mm prints released in 2001 were struck.

quote: Terry Monohan
Seems like at all the 70mm film festivals that show up each year around the world the same old 70mm prints are shown all the time. Many are not in the best of shape these days.
Agreed, and that's one of the reasons we're doing this (the main one being that 2001 in 70mm is the title that members and regular customers ask us to show most often, and for the last few years we simply haven't been able to get a print).

quote: Terry Monohan
The main thing the classic Egyptian Theatre needs to do before the next tourist season 2017 starts is put back some sort of front neon marquee on Hollywood Blvd. So many tourists go walking past the locked gates or for court and have no idea what the place is and what is showing and times also try to get the fountains working again and fix the leak.
Because it's in the Hollywood historic district, the city imposes serious restrictions on what you're allowed to put on the front of buildings. If there was no neon marquee when the place opened in 1922, it likely wouldn't be allowed now. That's why the blocks of Hollywood between Highland and Vine look a bit shabby (with the exception of the two Scientology buildings, that have both had blank checks thrown at them to restore them to looking like when they first went up) - no development is allowed that change the exterior look of the street seriously from what it was like in the '20s, '30s and '40s.

As for the fountains - drought restrictions, and sadly, I doubt if we'll be able to run those anytime soon.

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 10-07-2016 04:00 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Scott,

I've seen all three discs side-by-side with silk screen labels.

The first one you listed is called "8-channel" and is:

L, Ls, C, Rs, R, SW, LC, RC

This is a 1-disc (DVD) only.

The one labeled 6-channel is labeled:

L, LC, C, RC, R, S (note the LC/RC designations may have been IL/IR for intermediate Left and Right...I never call them that) (always a 2-disc set)

And the 5.1 discs are playable everywhere. Since I never run with those, it wouldn't surprise me if they are available in both single and double disc versions. The ones I saw side-by-side with the other two were double-disc.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 7 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: