Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Looking for production dates on old Simplex 35mm's

Author Topic: Looking for production dates on old Simplex 35mm's
Jesse Green
Film Handler

- posted 09-30-2016 10:41 AM      Profile for Jesse Green     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello - it's my first post here so I hope I'm doing it right. I work at the Jacob Burns Film Center in Pleasantville, NY. We received a few gorgeously restored old 35mm projectors from the family of the late Paul M. Levine (a collector from the Hudson Valley area). I'm permanently displaying them in our gallery and I was wondering if anyone could help with narrowing down the production dates on them.

Simplex X-L: PR#1014 SN#10425 (Built right here in Pleasantville sometime in the 60's or 70's, but that's all I could find). Lamphouse is a Peerless Magnarc SN#66028

Simplex E-7: SN#E7479 (I know production started in 1939 but that's all I've got so far.) Lamphouse is a Simplex High 19000 SN#23111.

They were lovingly restored by Paul (they look like they did the day they were assembled).

I'd like to create a small write-up to inform our audience and want to get all the info as accurate as possible. If you can help, or direct me to a good source for production dates, I'd really appreciate it. Thanks.

|  IP: Logged

Robert Koch
Film Handler

- posted 10-03-2016 02:44 PM      Profile for Robert Koch   Email Robert Koch   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Dick Prather who has passed on had the most extensive lists of serial numbers/manufacturing dates, dating clear back to the old PM days, that I have ever seen. I dont know who inherited all his stuff but someone on this site should know.

Tony Bandiera Jr
Film God

- posted 10-04-2016 09:19 PM      Profile for Tony Bandiera Jr   Email Tony Bandiera Jr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I hope Robert is right...since we lost both Dick Prather and Howard Straight we have lost a valuable resource on the history of Simplex projection equipment.

I used to have, long ago, a list of serial numbers and production dates that Howard gave to me... I cannot recall where it is, if I even still have it. If by some chance I do run across it, I will try to post it here.

Jesse Green
Film Handler

- posted 10-05-2016 02:10 PM      Profile for Jesse Green     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks! I'll keep an eye out if anyone comes up with those lists.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: